Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 08:50 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post

Does New Atheism have a belief that only rational thought and science provide answers? Do New Atheists believe that those who don't agree are somehow lacking in intelligence? Are these the tenests of New Atheism?

I am certain I would be damned to hell by any Fundamentalist Christian (and who knows who else) but the difference is I don't resort to mocking them. Mocking others is playground stuff.
Science and rational thought do have answers, but are not the only source of answers.

I have certainly met christians who are dumb as a post. I know other christians who are brilliant. Unfortunately, it is often the posts that speak the most. In my university geology courses, as far as I know all of my professors were christians. They were pretty smart guys. But they never tried to mix christianity and science. As I have said in this forum OFTEN, there is nothing wrong with faith until one no longer can discern the difference between faith and fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 09:02 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Generally, it's people that don't feel comfortable telling people in person they don't believe, but they feel emboldened on the internet. I've never met an atheist that can actually have a rational discussion and answer some basic questions. So it's usually quite emotional.
Well we saw IWMN posting a lot of comments by atheists that were totally deserved and acting like it was unreasonable.

And you are here blandly declaring that no atheist can have a rational discussion and answer some basic questions, when it's you being inadequate to prop up your beliefs and going into denial and personals.
Coffee morsels doesn't think much of us at the moment, but I reckon after reading a few theist posts may have a rethink.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:14 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Generally, it's people that don't feel comfortable telling people in person they don't believe, but they feel emboldened on the internet. I've never met an atheist that can actually have a rational discussion and answer some basic questions. So it's usually quite emotional.
Very true. They claim to be championing reason and logic, but they are motivated by emotional and volitional reasons. That's the key to understanding their behavior.

It's not really about rational arguments or discovering truth. For many, it would make no difference to them if the existence of God was somehow 'proven’ to them. They would still reject God, especially if it’s the God of the Bible.

Painful to imagine the hole they’re digging deeper with each new day.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:18 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,415 times
I have met God all my life so I can never be an atheist. From meeting atheists I can tell they had a picture in their head of what God was, & that picture proved false. God isn't false. The pictures everyone held in their heads about God was false. That's what we are dealing with in the world. Religions who feed people stories & ideas about God which make them form a certain picture of what God is like. But God is not like that. It's just the priests creating an aesthetically comfortable image of God that they can indoctrinate people with. God is above all religions & all aesthetically motivated ideas. So an atheist, new or old, is simply a person who doesn't believe the things that religions say. However they all will invariably find sooner or later that God exists after all, & was just a lot different than what religions were trying to put forth.

So don't ever doubt that God is watching everything you do & think & you will be held accountable for it all @death

Old 09-01-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Explain this.

So trolling was going on? Maybe on both sides?
Not trolling. I rarely heard suggestions of going to trash religious sites. I said i didn't think that was the way to do it. I saw it as discussion where discussion was invited.

Quote:
So it is evangelical and a movement.
I guess that's fair, though I think in terms of a campaign.

Quote:
Does New Atheism have a belief that only rational thought and science provide answers? Do New Atheists believe that those who don't agree are somehow lacking in intelligence? Are these the tenests of New Atheism?
Atheism doesn't have a Dogma so New atheism doesn't have tenets. . What Science does is (demonstrably) provide the best (most credible) model of the way reality is. Thus, if you are going to decide what happened in the past, scie nce rather than holy Books is the best choice. I think that science may come provide answers about ourselves and how we act, too. But whatever science may eventually tell us about why we have art, music and dance, it can't beat humans at that and doesn't try to.

'Stupid' was a word too often applied to believers. We had to rethink that. Believers are not (necessarily) stupid. After all, they don't get smarter when the deconvert- but they do use better arguments. That's what is the difference - not intelligence.

Quote:
I am certain I would be damned to hell by any Fundamentalist Christian (and who knows who else) but the difference is I don't resort to mocking them. Mocking others is playground stuff.
Perhaps. But a good mock can often penetrate where reasoned argument won't get through. But a good mock to be effective has to make a valid point, too.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Very true. They claim to be championing reason and logic, but they are motivated by emotional and volitional reasons. That's the key to understanding their behavior.

It's not really about rational arguments or discovering truth. For many, it would make no difference to them if the existence of God was somehow 'proven’ to them. They would still reject God, especially if it’s the God of the Bible.

You're very prone to getting into the heads of people that you don't understand. This is clearly going after the people when you can't cope with their arguments.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:48 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:

If God exists then He knows where I am. If He wants me He'll come and get me.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:26 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
If God exists then He knows where I am. If He wants me He'll come and get me.
You'll get your wish.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:06 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:

Can you blame us for that? Just read the bible and you'll get what I mean.

Now there is a god I would choose if'n I were to be choosing a god - goddess actually. That would be Venus, goddess of love and fertility.

But why don't you just prove bible god to us and see how many of us actually accept him? Then again, even if some god could be proven, what difference would it make to us?

Old 09-01-2019, 11:50 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
I would like to ask what is New Atheism all about? What are its aims? What is its level of tolerance towards others that are not aligned with it? Does it seek to remove all religion or coexist? Go.
New atheists are just old atheists who are no longer prepared to sit down and shut up whilst wilful ignorance and superstition is allowed free reign to continue to persecute and oppress as it has done for a thousand years and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality