Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2020, 11:44 AM

63,850 posts, read 40,142,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No, please, I mean honestly. Either we...

Ah heck. Why would you make me repeat what I already explained to you (comment #487)? Who is prevented from understanding what here? I've really got to ask in all sincerity as no doubt it's a good time for me to sign off from here again, so I can now move onto getting started with preparing our customary Big Sunday Breakfast.

Here's to a good Labor Day weekend all. Stay cool, as it's going to be a real barn burner in parts of the country like ours!
I understand your frustration but as long as the word "consensus" is part of your conceptual definition of "universal truth" it is unresolvable. Enjoy the weekend and stay safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 11:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,597,400 times
Quote:
I've tried on my own (though I don't have to), and all I get is the same repeat of the same broken record you play the same way over and over. I'd suggest you need try to do the same thing with regard to my Ten Truths that are what they are, verbatim. No hidden messages. No need to fill in the blanks or connect the dots.

You don't need to look very hard to understand what I am calling "real truths," but you sure do seem to try real hard to complicate the simple, over and over again. Why I wonder.

Agree, disagree, all fine either way, but without specifics, I can't really know where the problem may lie with any of my truths. Be specific. Where's your hang up (if I haven't already addressed it more than once). Venturing into your line of reason and logic instead, your words and puzzles, is perhaps better suited for a thread about what you want to focus on instead.

You think?
I am not sure how to do it any different learnme. Thats a my bad. Totally on me.

To me, Your ten truths address and overall stance on how you think truths get passed down and propagate.

In that that light they are ok. They don't mean enough to me to even correct.

What I am asking you to do is use them in an accrual truth claim. Or more precisely, what people are claiming as the truth.

What you see is your truths. What I see is just another thing a person is saying is the truth.

I look to see who is actually talking to a more "universal truth". Who's truth is more reliable when compared to science data.

does that make sense?

Old 09-06-2020, 02:26 PM

15,988 posts, read 7,048,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I am not sure how to do it any different learnme. Thats a my bad. Totally on me.

To me, Your ten truths address and overall stance on how you think truths get passed down and propagate.

What I am asking you to do is use them in an accrual truth claim. Or more precisely, what people are claiming as the truth.

What you see is your truths. What I see is just another thing a person is saying is the truth.

I look to see who is actually talking to a more "universal truth". Who's truth is more reliable when compared to science data.

does that make sense?
That about sums it

Old 09-10-2020, 09:48 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,742,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I understand your frustration but as long as the word "consensus" is part of your conceptual definition of "universal truth" it is unresolvable. Enjoy the weekend and stay safe!
I can't imagine how consensus being PART of the definition is "unresolvable," especially since I don't suggest it is necessary, but your frustration with these simple basics always seems to be about picking away at the edges rather than accepting the simple truth about what I've been trying to explain here...

Old 09-10-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

does that make sense?
Why is this so difficult for you too I wonder...

What's wrong with my truths being "just another thing a person is saying is the truth?" What's wrong with that? Would it help if I described them as "Ten Truths" (far as I'm concerned)? Am I doing any different than any other person explaining what they think is truth instead?

All manner of comment like yours that all dance around simply evaluating these truths as written. If you or anyone finds fault with any one of them, I invite the explanation. Agree they are truths as many have also done, that's fine too, but all this superfluous commentary that doesn't address what I am passing along as truths demonstrates a real want to avoid the fact that all ten are truths for all practical purposes.

Or simply explain why not...

Old 09-10-2020, 09:57 AM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
I can't imagine how consensus being PART of the definition is "unresolvable," especially since I don't suggest it is necessary, but your frustration with these simple basics always seems to be about picking away at the edges rather than accepting the simple truth about what I've been trying to explain here...
It seems that the very concept is consensus...if we're talking about universal.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:34 AM

63,850 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
He seems to want a different definition of universal truth, Phet.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:59 AM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Or it may be semantics.

I still admire that he has taken the time to think about and develop a belief system or set of principles. Few do that.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Not if you understand the concept...

This is to say, universal truth exists whether everyone recognizes what it is or no one recognizes what it is. Consensus is simply one fact to consider among many when trying to recognize universal truth for what it is. What is the truth and what is not.

Make sense?

Old 09-10-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I don't call it universal consensus in any case. What I am referring to is universal truth as in universally true for all of us, whether we all recognize it for what it is or not. Big difference if you allow yourself to make these sorts of distinctions, but if I'm not mistaken you prefer to confuse the issue instead. For reasons I'm not too sure I understand too well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality