Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:49 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

I've always felt that the Bible which was written by men in a male dominated society and explained to us in Genesis that after Adam was created that God felt that he needed a companion and helper and so he created Eve from a rib. Of course Eve was the temptress who caused all of the problems for the entire human race by eating the forbidden fruit when tempted by that rascal the serpent and then leading Adam astray as well. So women in general are apparently being blamed for being weaker and causing Adam and Eve and family to get booted out of the Garden of Eden and leaving the human race in a state of misery. So now when we move on to the New Testament and God decides he wants to settle down and have a family is it any surprise that he chooses to have a son instead of a daughter? In fact God himself is described in terms of gender as a male although even religious people don't think of God as having a sexual nature (Oh wait a minute, if he got Mary pregnant he must have been a male!). What I'm really trying to point out is that the Christian religion is very consistent in presenting the role of a woman as that of someone who is less important, more likely to be sinful, and somone who must perform a secondary and supportive role in society. For myself, I see this attitude in the Bible towards women as one of the major reasons that women have had to accept a lesser role in society for the last two thousand years because religion has had such a powerful influence in society. I don't see this as a positive thing in any way and I don't think it's the natural order of things. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 06:15 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I've always felt that the Bible which was written by men in a male dominated society and explained to us in Genesis that after Adam was created that God felt that he needed a companion and helper and so he created Eve from a rib. Of course Eve was the temptress who caused all of the problems for the entire human race by eating the forbidden fruit when tempted by that rascal the serpent and then leading Adam astray as well. So women in general are apparently being blamed for being weaker and causing Adam and Eve and family to get booted out of the Garden of Eden and leaving the human race in a state of misery. So now when we move on to the New Testament and God decides he wants to settle down and have a family is it any surprise that he chooses to have a son instead of a daughter? In fact God himself is described in terms of gender as a male although even religious people don't think of God as having a sexual nature (Oh wait a minute, if he got Mary pregnant he must have been a male!). What I'm really trying to point out is that the Christian religion is very consistent in presenting the role of a woman as that of someone who is less important, more likely to be sinful, and somone who must perform a secondary and supportive role in society. For myself, I see this attitude in the Bible towards women as one of the major reasons that women have had to accept a lesser role in society for the last two thousand years because religion has had such a powerful influence in society. I don't see this as a positive thing in any way and I don't think it's the natural order of things. What do you think?
I don't know. I will ask Him when I see Him.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:36 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
I don’t accept the creation theory but in a joking sort of view I could understand why he made that decision. Having lived through the 13 year to 16 year period with a daughter I would expect any super natural power would do anything to avoid that in an offspring. It is bad in males, but true hell in Daughters. It may be the only thing that makes sense in the whole story.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:42 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
Well IMHO it has nothing to do with the female gender being inferior in any way. Im sure there are many reasons why God had a son and not a daughter but I think one of them is because God reveres woman to such a great extent. Look at what Christ went through on this earth from his enemies. I dont think God would want one of his daughters to go through that (not because theyre weaker) As far as Eve being a temptress and the one who messed up everything so to speak I see it as her being extremely wise. Adam and Eve were commanded to multiply and replenish the earth which obviously could not be done in the Garden of Eden. Adam didnt seem to catch this so Eve gave him a nudge.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:50 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
(June: applauding!!!)

Methinks my dear, sweet man is a masculine feminist!

Thumbs up from New England!

Old 04-19-2008, 08:12 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
Well it had to be either one or the other. If he had chosen to have a daughter...well we'd have this same discussion (only in reverse)! If its any consolation (and I'm not sure why anyone would need consoling) there are plenty of 'feminine' references in the creation story. For one thing being 'born again' or being a new creation in Christ (etc. etc.) is a reference to the birthing process which we all know only a woman can do. God could easily have had Christ appear out of thin air and carry on the story from that point. Rather than think about how sexist the creation story is or how unimportant women are in Christianity, ask yourself why did God choose to bring the Savior into this world through a human birth?

Old 04-19-2008, 10:34 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Default Why Did God Decide To Have A Son Instead Of A Daughter?

And why did he decide to have it with another man's wife?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:32 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,384 times
Because-- Women were not taken as "wise figures" in that time.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Times haven't changed much at all in that respect.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:36 AM

655 posts, read 916,140 times
As Zeplin would say............"the soul of a woman is created below" Untrue, but women sure can be sly and sneaky at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality