Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 10:21 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, you don't and they have been shown to be preferences for what is unknown, NOT evidence. You have no method of determining what is or is not being done by an entity you prefer to believe does not even exist. You would have to know what control by such an entity would look like in every conceivable situation which is preposterously presumptuous.
Give us ONE example of an conscious, intelligent being that does not have a physical brain.

Until you can do that, you have no reason to claim we have no evidence, nor do you have a reason to claim a god does exist, nor to dishonestly pretend we prefer a god does not exist, nor to pretend your god as some magic quality we have NO evidence for. You have no reason to once again say we are arguing from ignorance when that is your forte.

You can avoid this another million times, you can ad hominem again, misrepresent, climb on your long dead horse and beat it, carpet bomb fallacies, and pretend we do not know what we are talking about while using creationist arguments, but you fool no one. You have nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 10:37 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Give us ONE example of a conscious, intelligent being that does not have a physical brain.
This argument reflects the myopic perspective of separate things when there is no reason to assume it. Everything is part of our Reality taken as a whole so the existence of our consciousness producing brains is evidence that consciousness is part of our Reality. You have no way of asserting it is not other than your preference for a "separate things" view of our Reality. You do not know and cannot know that we are NOT all part of a singular Reality. You just prefer to see it that way. I have personal experiences that refute that view.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:08 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
These are chaotic times worldwide due to the corona virus and its' affects on the world.

I pray for all who are suffering as a result of the corona virus; or, for any reasons. As hard as humanity tries, we don't always have the answers or solutions.

Trust in and pray to God for he knows what's best for each and everyone of us.
If God knows what's best, then He must have thought that creating the Coroanvirus and setting it loose on humanity was for the best. And you want to ask God to change His mind? As if God's plan was WRONG? That seems exceptionally presumptuous.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:18 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoWillCorrectYou View Post
They were more scared to lose money than to lose a few million lives.

What can you say....? There are so many bodies on this ball that a few hundred million removed by Corona will never be missed. But the money has to keep flowing for the sake of the Gates and the Bezos of the world.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Trust in and pray to God for he knows what's best for each and everyone of us.
Really?

People were praying when COVID-2 (aka SARS) was around.

Your god-thing answered their prayers with NL, a corona virus mutation, followed by HCOV-NH, a corona virus mutation, followed by NL63, another corona virus mutation, followed by MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome), yet another corona virus mutation and then HKU1, still another corona virus mutation.

And now, COVID-19.

And, those are the corona virus mutations that have occurred in just the last 20 years.

It doesn't count the corona virus mutations that occurred between its discovery in the UK in 1965 up to the year 2000.

So, other than doing absolutely nothing very slowly, what exactly is your god-thing doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoWillCorrectYou View Post
It was the love of money that did this.
No, virus mutate. That's what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
So you've ruled out any man-made causes and headed straight for the usual slam of a entity, and it's adherents, you claim not to believe exist...I don't know if we are allowed to explain how schizo that sounds.
Is there a particular reason why you choose to remain uneducated and ill-informed?

It's properly called Human Coronavirus to distinguish it from Canine Coronavirus and Feline Coronavirus and Bovine Coronavirus and Avian Coronavirus and all the others.

Yes, it affects humans, dogs, cats, rats, mice, chickens, pigs, turkeys, cows, rabbits and a whole host of other animals.

COVID-2 (China)
NL (the Netherlands)
HCOV-NH (United States, specifically New Haven, Connecticut)
NL63 (the Netherlands, again)
MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome)
HKU1 (Hong Kong)

Why are you not familiar with those corona virus and their origins?

That's all since the year 2000.

If you want, I can list all the corona virus starting with B814 and their mutations from 1965 to 2000.

I'm guessing you don't understand that it is a virus that causes E.Coli out-breaks and not the E.Coli bacteria.

The E.Coli bacteria is harmless and resides in the digestive tracts of all mammals (and I believe that includes whales, dolphins and porpoises).

A virus infects the E.Coli bacteria turning it from harmless to harmful.

Yes, virus can affect bacteria and amoeba.

That type of virus --one that changes harmless bacteria into deadly bacteria -- is specifically referred to as a bacteriophage.

How little you actually know.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
This argument reflects the myopic perspective of separate things when there is no reason to assume it.
There is every reason to assume it. Only those organisms that have highly specialized brain cells with the necessary chemicals result in consciousness.

Quote:
If God allows then science will come up with a solution to this.
It has absolutely nothing to do with any god-thing and never did.

It does have everything to do with understanding the protein receptors on virus and how the 7 different classes of virus function.

The discovery of virus had nothing to do with your lame god-thing and everything to do with technology.

Tobacco plants died.

A scientist named Adolph Meyers pulped up dead tobacco plants, mixed in pure water, then filtered it through cheese-cloth to remove the pulp, then looked at the water through a microscope.

As he already knew, there were bacteria and amoeba in the water.

Using a brand new piece of technology -- a porcelain filter -- he poured the water through it.

Looking through a microscope there were no longer any bacteria or amoeba. He poured the water on healthy tobacco plants and they died. Thinking he made a mistake, he repeated the experiment several times, as did his colleagues elsewhere on Earth.

There was obviously something in the water they could not see. While that might not appear to be helpful, it was, since they could now rule out bacteria and amoeba as the cause of many diseases.

It would be 70 years before someone repeated Adolf's experiment, and using an electron microscope, for the very first time saw what came to be known as the Tobacco Mosaic Virus. It's a bit of a misnomer, since that virus also affects orchids. Why? I don't know. I'm not a botanist. Perhaps orchids and tobacco plants are in the same family just like tomato plants and night shade plants are in the same family.

It would be another 20 years before new technological developments created the scanning electron microscope, which allows one to see virus that cannot be seen with an ordinary electron microscope or a regular microscope.

Your god-thing had nothing to do with that.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
until they show that information can be transmitted through the fabric of space, called space/time, the only value I see in praying for intersection type prayer (i like to spell preyer) is to alleviate the feeling of utter helplessness.

When they find information can be transmitted through then it becomes of an issue of impulse momentum.

oh right, actually looking at how it works is no where near as solid evidence as hear-say.

my bad.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:35 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
I'll practice social distancing, keeping healthy and not stockpiling toilet paper. Pray if it makes you feel like you are doing good but still keep yourself away from others to help stop the spread.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:58 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
until they show that information can be transmitted through the fabric of space, called space/time, the only value I see in praying for intersection type prayer (i like to spell preyer) is to alleviate the feeling of utter helplessness.

When they find information can be transmitted through then it becomes of an issue of impulse momentum.

oh right, actually looking at how it works is no where near as solid evidence as hear-say.

my bad.
Are you saying Voyager 2 is a big hoax? Curious what you mean exactly by “information traveling through space-time.”

Old 03-27-2020, 03:17 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
This argument reflects the myopic perspective of separate things when there is no reason to assume it. Everything is part of our Reality taken as a whole so the existence of our consciousness producing brains is evidence that consciousness is part of our Reality. You have no way of asserting it is not other than your preference for a "separate things" view of our Reality. You do not know and cannot know that we are NOT all part of a singular Reality. You just prefer to see it that way. I have personal experiences that refute that view.
Word salad that does NOT answer the question. Keep evading, Mystic, but until you can present actual evidence based on what we DO know, all you have are assertions that are as valid as the cause of everything was a cosmic carrot called Cedric.

As to the OP, I have no problem if praying makes people feel more comfortable at these difficult times. I just hope that people do not ignore the expert advice they need to follow. Otherwise they are putting other peoples lives at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality