Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 05:56 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,126,278 times

Advertisements

Elderly woman witnesses to man trying to rob her (She's 92 years old.)

What a great story! (Clip on You Tube.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 06:03 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,486,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post

This is going to sound odd but I've often thought about what I would do if I were being robbed. Given that most people in this country believe in God (even robbers and thieves) I wonder how that would go over?? I could just picture myself witnessing to someone about something I don't believe so that the guy wouldn't shoot me... Drastic times call for drastic measures...

Old 05-03-2008, 06:10 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,352,204 times
My first thought was, did it work?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:38 PM

216 posts, read 605,496 times
Great story. If you believe in Jesus Christ and accepted Him, He will never leave you alone. Everywhere you go, He is there with you. Even in your car.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:00 PM

22,829 posts, read 19,433,341 times
I have heard many people, including those who dont have any sort of spritual practice themselves, say that it is one of the best things to do when being mugged or confronted, to start quoting scripture, or saying prayers, or something along those lines. I believe it would be very effective because regardless of what I BELIEVE (or NOT) it can amplify the fear of punishment in the person doing the attacking, who may believe or be superstitious themself..

Like people in earlier times who were horrible barbarians and would attack anyone, were fearful of and avoided attacking or doing harm to nuns or priests in their religious garb, "just in case" they would get punished. Also if someone's practicing a life of crime, there is the guilt they carry, they know it's "wrong" and could be living in fear of that already.

Something else I was told if being attacked, is to SHOUT AND YELL really loud at the person in anger. That one I know works not because I planned to use it, but this one time someone began attacking me (in broad daylight surrounded by people on the sidewalk who totally ignored it) I just instinctively did it, I was so pissed, it was like this primal roar that came out of me and I started yelling obscenities at him calling him the most vile names, I could never have deliberately done that, it just came out (I am female 5'2" as timid as they come, avoids confrontation at all costs; this guy was a male about a foot taller than me and 100 pounds heavier than me).

First he looked shocked, then honest to god the look in his eyes he got scared (probably thinking this chick is crazier than him and dangerous) and he turned around and started RUNNING AWAY to get away from me. The bizarre thing is I started chasing him. Then after a city block my common sense kicked in and I realized the insanity of that and stopped. It was one of the strangest experiences of my life. It took me about 5 hours to calm down after I was shaking so bad.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:06 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,320,325 times
The way I see it is that crime among believers is higher than atheists, so the likely hood that the attacker is religious, so reminding them of that might actually get them to stop.

That's my logic.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:06 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,126,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
The way I see it is that crime among believers is higher than atheists, so the likely hood that the attacker is religious, so reminding them of that might actually get them to stop.

That's my logic.
Two points to this:

1) You might be right because the demographics of atheists in the world is between 2.4 - 3.8%. That's quite a leap from the 84 - 86% of the people who believe in God or a higher power. Naturally, atheists would commit fewer crimes because their numbers are immensely smaller. That's just fact, not in need of logic.
Quote:
Encyclopædia Britannica indicates that the non-religious are about 14.7% of the world's population, and atheists around 3.8%. Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population.
Quote from Demographics of atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2) Not everyone who calls themselves a Christian actually is a Christian. It's not just identifying oneself with it or believing in God. The devil believes in God, too. The Bible says that you will know them by their fruit. That means by what they're producing with their lives. True Christians who are living their faith are not committing crimes.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 PM

131 posts, read 579,265 times
I didn't read it all.............I probably should have...........my only recourse would be.............cap is butt! I know, doesn't sound very Christian like but hey.......a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:21 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,738,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post

Amazing story! This woman knows Jesus for sure. What a woman of faith. Oh, that we should all have the solid faith like this woman. Praise God for protecting her and allowing her to share her faith with that robber, and ultimatley millions through television and now You Tube. Who knew that a man getting in an old woman's car to rob her would travel around the world because she shared Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality