Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times

Advertisements

We just had a 4.4 quake here in the Lost Angeles area. All's well at Casa Nighteyes, but our cats did NOT like it! (Its their first quake...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
We just had a 4.4 quake here in the Lost Angeles area. All's well at Casa Nighteyes, but our cats did NOT like it! (Its their first quake...)
Glad to hear that things are safe. I had to evacuate my apartment because of a fire alarm; I tried to get the cats, but I couldn't spend any more time.

Luckily, they were fine (I was pretty panicked about them!), and Max was missing for ten minutes -- until I looked under the bed, huddled in the corner. He was not comin' out!

Old 03-17-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
... Max was missing for ten minutes -- until I looked under the bed, huddled in the corner. He was not comin' out!
Our male cat, Ravi (Hindi for 'sun'), ran to his "self-designated shelter" in the closet under the stairs. When he gets 'way back in there, nothing can get him except, perhaps, for another cat. Our female cat, Luna (self-explanatory), started to go with him but changed her mind and ducked under the bed. She came out again pretty quickly, but we didn't see Ravi for about half an hour.

All in all, a memorable way to kick off St. Patrick's Day!

Old 03-17-2014, 11:02 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
You need to get a third cat and name her Stella.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Years ago I was sitting watching TV with the cat on my lap. (I think it was a New Year's quake. Odd how they happen on holidays.) He was sound asleep. He suddenly woke up, dug his claws deep into my leg, howled and jumped off my lap. About two seconds after that I could feel the jolt and knew it was an earthquake. That cat knew it was coming before it hit. Our very own early-warning-system.

Then there was the cat who went missing after the Landers quake. He was mostly feral and roamed a lot on the neighbors' roofs. We spent hours calling for him. When he finally got home he was filthy. Absolutely covered in soot. I'd always wondered if he had fallen down a chimney and had to wait for someone to open a door. He quit going up onto roofs after that. This same cat used to bring home things the neighbors put on their clothes line. We'd open the drapes in the morning and see someone's boxers on top of his house. He also brought home the neighbor's pet bunny one time. Carried it right to me, in his mouth, while I was working in the garden. The bunny was successfully rescued and returned home. "No, Guns, you cannot have a pet." Followed by, "Hi. I'm your neighbor and I think this is your rabbit. "

Glad you're OK Nighteyes.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:26 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Ah yes, 'quakes. I don't miss them. Seemed so common that one early morning when one woke me up I though, "We're falling off into the Pacific" and rolled over to go back to sleep. Moments later, though, I was up and in a doorway.....South Pasadena during the Sylmar Quake.

I don't recommend them.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
You need to get a third cat and name her Stella.
Either that, or Estrella (Spanish)!

Our two are litter-mates, so they've literally been together for their entire lives. Based on the times we cared for the grand-daughter's cats while son & family were on vacation, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't like another long-term feline at Casa Nighteyes.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
.....South Pasadena during the Sylmar Quake.
The Northridge Quake woke me up out of a sound sleep; had to hold on to the bed to keep from getting bounced off. When we finally got rid of that mattress, I do believe my fingerprints were still in it! Had the quake come an hour later, it would have been my commuter train that derailed behind the Northridge Fashion Center instead of that freight train.

Speaking of 'bouncy beds and quakes' I heard that, during San Francisco's Loma Prieta quake in 1989, a young man was napping on his full-flotation water bed, and was tossed out the window! Talk about a rude awakening!!!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
The Northridge Quake woke me up out of a sound sleep; had to hold on to the bed to keep from getting bounced off. When we finally got rid of that mattress, I do believe my fingerprints were still in it! Had the quake come an hour later, it would have been my commuter train that derailed behind the Northridge Fashion Center instead of that freight train.

Speaking of 'bouncy beds and quakes' I heard that, during San Francisco's Loma Prieta quake in 1989, a young man was napping on his full-flotation water bed, and was tossed out the window! Talk about a rude awakening!!!
Nighteyes, I'm glad to read you didn't have any damage from the earthquake. I think what was so scary about them is that you don't really get any warning, other than your pets possibly acting crazy (mine always did).

I do not miss that part of living in California. My teenage years were spent in a house near the Hayward and Calaveras fault lines, and we had several smaller quakes. I was fortunate to have moved out of California a few weeks before the Loma Prieta quake, although I'm honestly not sure if Modesto - where I was living at the time - suffered much damage from it. I did get bounced out of bed a couple of times growing up. I used to have nightmares occasionally of my bed going through the window and dropping to the ground during a major quake. It was a straight two-story drop to the ground from my bedroom window.

The Northridge quake - wasn't that the one that hit in January 1994(ish)? I do remember hearing about a major quake about that time, because our news in Kentucky suddenly switched from the blizzard that shut the whole state down to the quake. You were in that one?? Yikes!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
ptsum, you should win the CD's grand $10,000 prize or whatever it is for starting the most popular, longest thread in the entire City Data forum. Kudos!
Oh, I agree! Kudos ptsum for starting this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality