Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 AM

444 posts, read 1,212,012 times

Advertisements

I lost a friend and classmate last week. Sure makes me reflect on all the memories of the good life we once had. You know you did a great job in life when you fill a huge church at your funeral. I will miss him, he was our fearless leader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Forest Carter in his book, The Education of Little Tree, explains that the word ''kin'' had a broader meaning for his family than ''being related by blood''. Kin also meant understanding and could be used as a verb: ''I kin y'a.'' (In Shakespeare this is spelled "ken.") Carter's grandfather was half Scottish and half Cherokee. My family is a mix of Hawaiian, Cherokee, Irish and Swiss. The number of my ''kin'' have been growing as I have gotten older. My kin have grown from my immediate family to my computer social community to my ancestors to my extended family to my local community. It continues to expand to include the people of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsAngel View Post
...........You know you did a great job in life when.........
there is one person who will weep at your passing, yet celebrate your life. It is an amazing life when there are many who do this. I've been through this situation recently as well........I did not know your friend, but I know you as kin, and so I share with you both your loss and celebration.........

Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
As do I.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:17 PM

I lost my "crazy Aunt Nita" in the closing days of 2011. As many of you may recall, my Aunt Nita -- my mother's middle sister -- was the one who had roles in many commercials (including one that won a CLEO award) and music videos (Rod Stewart's "Shotgun Wedding"). She also battled alcoholism nearly all her adult life.

Condolences and commiserations not needed, because she led a full and useful life. Instead, and if you wish, help me to celebrate her life and accomplishments (raising three fantastic children and one marvelous grandchild, and serving as a role model to me in the area of "doing what seems right, regardless of what seems "proper").

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 01-24-2012 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 05:10 AM

Thanks you guys, my heart has been sullen by this loss. He was quite the influential person and was a leader throughout his life. He boldly went where few men have gone before, and the dude looked like a lady hahaha, he was in the Kawanis club and they do a play every year to make fun of all the local events throughout the year, and often they dress like a woman and do skits that bring the audience to tears. He participated in life and had adopted a son whom he loved as his own and raised very well with the values of the Cowboy way. He was a great athlete back in high school and taught his son all he knew. He was hilarious at any given moment. Someone special for certain because he treated everyone with respect. We gathered our classmates and we had a celebration of his life, we laughed until we cried and cried until we could laugh again. Life is good.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:02 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
It's never easy with the lost of a loved one, we will mourn that lost and we will remember all the good qualities of the one that passed on and we will forever keep them within our memories and this is how they will live within us forever. As a member of the Keetoowah we believe in honoring our Elders. They teach that at the end of our life walk, we should leave no tracks other than our family's and our students.osay

Old 01-26-2012, 03:46 PM

Wado, ptsum.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
I have always LOVED those people who walk "the path less traveled" and have been themselves regardless of the situation. NE, your aunt sounds like just such a person. Having no agenda except to do what seems good and fun and exciting and different has to be the most liberating life possible. Maybe that is why I became an appraiser........the incredible lack of organization and hierarchy.

I won't bemoan her loss, as I never knew her. I sympathize with your loss though.........but I will be more than glad to help you celebrate a life lived independently on that "path less traveled."

Quote:
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost

Old 01-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Goodpasture,

You quoted:

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost"

That describes my Aunt Nita to a tee and, because of her, it describes a part of me as well.

Wado my friend, Wado!

-- Nighteyes

Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 AM

I never understood until now, how lucky I am, to have ever lived at all, let alone how well I was blessed to live. cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality