Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 04:19 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times

Advertisements

Ptsum, are you familiar with Indian peace coins ? Were these given by the President of the United States to the Chief of the certain tribes. I just happen to see a short segment on Pawn Stars, so it was more about value than history
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:27 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Not being Ptsum, I am not speaking for him. I'm just speaking as a long time coin collector. I had never heard of them and had to do a google search.

The Peace Medals began with George Washington.

A quick History of them

Quote:
The most celebrated medal was the large silver one presented to Seneca Chief Red Jacket in 1792 by President Washington in Philadelphia. A descendent of Red Jacket said in 1851, the medal was evidence of "the bond of perpetual peace and friendship established and entered into between the people of the United States and the Six Nations of Indians at the time of its presentation."

It became the prototype of the large Washington oval medals engraved on plates of silver for the years 1792 to 1795. The largest medals were nearly 5x7 inches and the smallest about 4x5 inches.

Seneca Chief Red Jacket wearing an Indian Peace Medal dated 1792. Front side of an Indian Peace Medal (1793).

Giving such medals "has been an ancient custom from time immemorial. The medals are considered as complimentary things, as marks of friendship to those who come to see us, or who do us good offices, conciliatory of their good will towards us... They confer no power, and seem to have taken their origin in the European practice of giving medals... to the negotiators of treaties." – Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State (1793)
SOURCE

Old 05-21-2014, 07:33 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Not being Ptsum, I am not speaking for him. I'm just speaking as a long time coin collector. I had never heard of them and had to do a google search.

The Peace Medals began with George Washington.
So are they covers to try to put a band-aid on the tragedies, or do they show that some of the "founding fathers" were against the massacre? I believe there were some white people way back then who were appalled, but were outnumbered.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:38 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
So are they covers to try to put a band-aid on the tragedies, or do they show that some of the "founding fathers" were against the massacre? I believe there were some white people way back then who were appalled.
In the early years before the Westward Expansions most of the early settler were quite dependant on the Native Americans.

But later on they were much like the treaties, worthless. Just a show that the settlers were the "Good Guys"

Just my opinion.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:06 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times
My great-great-great-great-great uncle (John Woolman) was one of the people who tried to make things right in the 1700's. I think he did as much as a white man could do. His protests, which he also combined with action at his personal risk, almost got him booted from the Quaker church, but he ended up making a difference. This mostly was in how he rejected slavery and respected black people. His stance in the Friends' Peace Testimony (Quaker), protesting the French And Indian War was clear. I take no credit, of course, but I am proud to have John Woolman as an ancestor. I love the Quaker universalist philosophy.

My favorite quote of all time is his words:

"There is a Principle which is pure, placed in the human Mind, which in different Places and Ages hath had different Names; it is, however, pure, and proceeds from God. It is deep, and inward, confined to no Forms of Religion, nor excluded from any, where the Heart stands in perfect Sincerity. In whomsoever this takes Root and grows, of what Nation soever, they become Brethren."

Old 05-21-2014, 08:37 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
My great-great-great-great-great uncle (John Woolman) was one of the people who tried to make things right in the 1700's. I think he did as much as a white man could do. His protests, which he also combined with action at his personal risk, almost got him booted from the Quaker church, but he ended up making a difference. This mostly was in how he rejected slavery and respected black people. His stance in the Friends' Peace Testimony (Quaker), protesting the French And Indian War was clear. I take no credit, of course, but I am proud to have John Woolman as an ancestor. I love the Quaker universalist philosophy.

"There is a Principle which is pure, placed in the human Mind, which in different Places and Ages hath had different Names; it is, however, pure, and proceeds from God. It is deep, and inward, confined to no Forms of Religion, nor excluded from any, where the Heart stands in perfect Sincerity. In whomsoever this takes Root and grows, of what Nation soever, they become Brethren."
Yes...Mr. Woolman sounds like he was a very good, wise, and brave man. Truly a man to be proud of.
That quote is really good...and demonstrative of his wisdom.
Unfortunate that many more didn't think like he did back then.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:03 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes...Mr. Woolman sounds like he was a very good, wise, and brave man. Truly a man to be proud of.
That quote is really good...and demonstrative of his wisdom.
Unfortunate that many more didn't think like he did back then.
Woolman's Journal is an interesting read and is readily available. His trip at a time of unrest to an indian village is especially interessting.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
...snip...

Very nice sentiment. You have a right to be proud to share his blood.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Woolman's Journal is an interesting read and is readily available. His trip at a time of unrest to an indian village is especially interessting.
I'm not familiar with him, but I'm adding that to my reading list.

Thank you for sharing that bit of your family's history Woodstock.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
If I may, I'd like to add a bit to this. According to historians Angie Debo and Grant Foresman, the "Trail of Tears" did not get its name from the tears of the Indians (whose stoicism generally wouldn't permit such), but from the tears of the whites who witnessed what the Indians had to endure.

The white "immigrants" (couldn't pass that one up!) were mostly good, honest, decent, caring folk who came from all over Europe. A very large percentage of them believed that the harsh & deceitful treatment of Indians was WRONG. But louder voices prevailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality