Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 07:32 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Growing up in India and then having my senior year of high school in New Jersey was really rough. It didn't help that I was the shortest kid in the class and not very good socially. I was picked on a lot and bullied a lot.

But there were some other kids in my class who even at that age, in the difficult teen years, didn't follow along and treated me nicely. If it weren't for them I would have been a lot worse off.

When I see people being treated badly just because they look different, act different, or otherwise don't follow the social order yet are genuine and respectful of others, I want to help them in any way, if they want to accept it. I really don't understand those who hate people for no logical reason. I give a lot of credit to my parents who are my favorite examples of the love that Jesus talked about (even though I'm not Christian). They didn't act better than anyone else. My father's sermons were filled with love and humility and intelligence, never a threat of hell, and he made sure to not be above everyone else. Even though as a missionary in India he could have pulled a power trip, he didn't. We lived simply and very happily in India. My father learned the local language and taught literacy to villagers who weren't literate. He didn't preach to them at the same time. There was no price they had to pay. He did that because that is what he is like.

My mother also learned the local language and taught elementary school. She has a degree in education. I couldn't have a better mom. There's a lot more that I could say about my parents, but I don't want to write a book here

The idea that we should learn from others of all backgrounds (as long as they are peaceful and thoughtful people, yet like anyone they will never be perfect), is very much a part of me. I would have a harder life and a sadder if I didn't value that. I'm fortunate to have learned all this.
A very valuable lesson learned. Treat it as a treasured gift as it is something many people will never have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times
I love clouds. They are a part of nature that's beautiful and mysterious. We can predict and measure total cloud cover, but the shapes and shades of the individual clouds you see can't be predicted. Nor the colors on sunrise and sunset. Might sound weird, but I love them.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
I love clouds. They are a part of nature that's beautiful and mysterious. We can predict and measure total cloud cover, but the shapes and shades of the individual clouds you see can't be predicted. Nor the colors on sunrise and sunset. Might sound weird, but I love them.
You are far from alone in that.
As for kids "picking on" those who are different, it seems to be a bit of an ingrained social interactiion evolutionarily designed to preserve the integrity of a group. Some day, hopefully, we will ALL grow out of it with the recognition that we are ALL in it together.

PS, your parents sound pretty kewl.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Growing up in India and then having my senior year of high school in New Jersey was really rough. It didn't help that I was the shortest kid in the class and not very good socially. I was picked on a lot and bullied a lot.

But there were some other kids in my class who even at that age, in the difficult teen years, didn't follow along and treated me nicely. If it weren't for them I would have been a lot worse off.

When I see people being treated badly just because they look different, act different, or otherwise don't follow the social order yet are genuine and respectful of others, I want to help them in any way, if they want to accept it. I really don't understand those who hate people for no logical reason. I give a lot of credit to my parents who are my favorite examples of the love that Jesus talked about (even though I'm not Christian). They didn't act better than anyone else. My father's sermons were filled with love and humility and intelligence, never a threat of hell, and he made sure to not be above everyone else. Even though as a missionary in India he could have pulled a power trip, he didn't. We lived simply and very happily in India. My father learned the local language and taught literacy to villagers who weren't literate. He didn't preach to them at the same time. There was no price they had to pay. He did that because that is what he is like.

My mother also learned the local language and taught elementary school. She has a degree in education. I couldn't have a better mom. There's a lot more that I could say about my parents, but I don't want to write a book here

The idea that we should learn from others of all backgrounds (as long as they are peaceful and thoughtful people, yet like anyone they will never be perfect), is very much a part of me. I would have a harder life and a sadder life if I didn't value that. I'm fortunate to have learned all this.
Fine post, Woodstock, and I hope you don't mind me emphasizing your last line.

You are indeed fortunate - and kudos to your folks. Seems to me they raised a fine child. I'll bet they're as proud of you as you are of them.

Which is as it should be.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:09 AM

519 posts, read 78,485 times
Quote:

The idea that we should learn from others of all backgrounds (as long as they are peaceful and thoughtful people, yet like anyone they will never be perfect), is very much a part of me. I would have a harder life and a sadder life if I didn't value that. I'm fortunate to have learned all this.
You have been blessed with your father's compassion and your mother's kindness. These two virtues are sadly becoming more and more scarce in our society. As are many of what SHOULD be natural and basic ways to interact with others, regardless of segregating labels, mores or ignorant prejudices. Just the simple act of listening to someone who is in pain, emotional or physical, can bring a moment of peace to the sufferer, and a moment of blessing to the listener. The peace and the blessing, when freely given and honestly received is just one small example of cause and effect in the proper and respectful treatment of each other.

So often arbitrary lines are drawn which have NO basis in fact and many of these contrived differences are heavy into the ridiculous category. People seem quick to find and exploit any difference. Thanks to the Creator for blessing our path with two fine compassionate and truly selfless souls. Your parents were able to instill in you that which all on this planet should embrace. They imparted by example. They kept their word, and they honored all others on the planet by helping guide your energy to the proper path of respect for others, and compassion for those less fortunate in ANY way. Best of all, by example, you were taught the true meaning of life. Genuine caring and respect for all living things, without regard to differences.

The true feeling of utter joy and humility one feels when doing a kindness for someone else is the real reward...the real blessing. It's a fantastic feeling which simply and quite truly cannot be bought at any price. It's free and in abundance. All you have to do is help with a good heart and unselfish intentions.

Of those fortunate enough to be within the Sacred Circle gathered here, I'm sure all would agree that this world would now be harder and sadder without YOUR energy here. Blessings to you and honor to your wonderful parents.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:18 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Heh it would seem our backgrounds are fairly similar, though I had left India by the time I was seven. However, I didn't come to the States until I was 15 - but it was to a large city, so a new ethnic kid wasn't all that exciting.

BUT ... when I moved to a tiny little town in the Allegheny Valley of PA, things were different. I found myself the only non-white kid anywhere within a 40 mile radius. One had to go 50 miles to the nearest semi-large city or in the other direction 43 miles to the nearest university to find someone who wasn't white.

Most of the bullying wasn't racist in nature, but I think everyone understood that racism was at the crux of it. Not that it mattered. It was the bullying that I hated, not the reason behind it.

For reasons a bit too complex to explain here, within six or seven months, I found myself rather popular and, if you'll pardon the conceit, socially powerful. Those bullies who didn't become my friends simply melted away.

Quote:
But there were some other kids in my class who even at that age, in the difficult teen years, didn't follow along and treated me nicely.
Once I achieved the social standing I did, I tried to be one of those kids, Woodstock. I hated bullies. I still hate them. When I saw bullying going on, I put a stop to it. No, I did more than that - I became friends with the victims. I hung out with them, invited them over, talked to them on the phone, and became an actual person in their lives. And believe me, the bullies left them alone at that point.

I don't mean to sound smugly superior when I say this because, at the time, there was no real ulterior motive. I just didn't like bullies and I put my own reputation at risk befriending people that weren't well-liked. Fortunately, instead of the other kids abandoning me, they rallied around the former victims until they, too, became rather popular. Those bully victims who were just slightly different than the norm turned out to be decent people if given the chance, and a lot of kids in school found out that those bully victims were not so bad after all.

So yeah, Woodstock, I've been on both ends of the spectrum and know what you're talking about.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:42 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
[[COLOR="Navy[i][b]"Osayo, I recently came across some words by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. that I had forgotten about, where he speaks of the Native American.

Our nation was born in genocide when it embraced the doctrine that the original American, the Indian, was an inferior race. Even before there were large numbers of Negroes on our shore, the scar of racial hatred had already disfigured colonial society. From the 16th century forward, blood flowed in battles over racial supremacy. We are perhaps the only nation which tried as a matter of national policy to wipe out its indigenous population. Moreover, we elevated that tragic experience into a noble crusade. Indeed, even today we have not permitted ourselves to reject or feel remorse for this shameful episode. Our literature, our films, our drama, our folklore all exalted it. Our children are still taught to respect the violence which reduced a red skinned people of an earlier culture into a few fragmented groups herded into impoverished reservations.

on this date in 1879, 135 years ago, Ma-Chu-nah Zah or Chief Standing Bear was declared a man in the federal courts of the United States. In the first American Indian civil rights case, Indians were acknowledged to possess all human rights.

Imagine that, he was declared a man by the federal court of the United States......
[/color]

Old 05-12-2014, 02:29 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
[[COLOR="Navy[i][b]"Osayo, I recently came across some words by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. that I had forgotten about, where he speaks of the Native American.

Our nation was born in genocide when it embraced the doctrine that the original American, the Indian, was an inferior race. Even before there were large numbers of Negroes on our shore, the scar of racial hatred had already disfigured colonial society. From the 16th century forward, blood flowed in battles over racial supremacy. We are perhaps the only nation which tried as a matter of national policy to wipe out its indigenous population. Moreover, we elevated that tragic experience into a noble crusade. Indeed, even today we have not permitted ourselves to reject or feel remorse for this shameful episode. Our literature, our films, our drama, our folklore all exalted it. Our children are still taught to respect the violence which reduced a red skinned people of an earlier culture into a few fragmented groups herded into impoverished reservations.

on this date in 1879, 135 years ago, Ma-Chu-nah Zah or Chief Standing Bear was declared a man in the federal courts of the United States. In the first American Indian civil rights case, Indians were acknowledged to possess all human rights.

Imagine that, he was declared a man by the federal court of the United States......
[/color]
Excellent! Many thanks!

Old 05-12-2014, 05:14 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post

[/color]
It will take a very cold hearted man to be able to read that without shedding a tear.

The most infamous example of man's ability to hate when one comes to realize that for the first half of the Nation called United States, the original inhabitants were not considered humans.

I often wonder how my friend Ptsum and others can keep from hating all non-Native people. Perhaps their past history and traditional lessons, instilled in them the real qualities of Civilization and Humane treatment of all. Perhaps their heritage handed down the valuable lesson that we are all one people.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:21 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
To hate generally based on the actions of even the by far largest majority would put the native Americans on nearly the same level (the difference being a matter of cause). I understand what you are saying, though, and have to accord great respect to those who do refuse to fall into that mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality