Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 08:12 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,015,660 times

Advertisements

While the idea of Advaita (non-dualism of self) exists within Hinduism, Shankara (700 AD) created a foundation and structure to the concept and established it as a philosophy. In the 32 years or so that he lived he published prolific number of original texts, commentaries on the upanishads, slokas, travelled widely, and taught. His ideas were rejected, critiqued, vigorously debated, accepted and have become established, and venerated to this day. It is only one way of approaching the divine among many in Hinduism.

His text Tattva Bodh is an introductory text to the principles of Advaita, it lays out the terms and their meaning and concept. As was customary in his time for all such texts, he lays out in the introduction the purpose of the text, and also the qualifications one should be endowed with for whom this text will be useful. And for such a person this text will unfold the means of liberation, and the method of enquiry into the nature of Tat, That, Reality and the distinction from what is Not That.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 04:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
I am sorry i can't respond.

I kind of know what I do know.
You (or is saying "I am" better) are way out of my knowledge base here.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
While the idea of Advaita
(non-dualism of self) exists within Hinduism,
Shankara
(700 AD) created a foundation and structure to the concept
In the 32 years or so that he lived he published prolific number of original texts, commentaries on the
Upanishads, .....
His text Tattva Bodh is an introductory text to the
principles of Advaita, it lays out the terms and their meaning and concept. And for such a person this text will unfold the means of
liberation
, and the method of inquiry into the nature of Tat, That,
Reality and the distinction from what is Not That.
Thanks buddy, love anytime I am reminded of all I bolded!!

Old 08-25-2020, 05:14 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
While the idea of Advaita (non-dualism of self) exists within Hinduism, Shankara (700 AD) created a foundation and structure to the concept and established it as a philosophy. In the 32 years or so that he lived he published prolific number of original texts, commentaries on the upanishads, slokas, travelled widely, and taught. His ideas were rejected, critiqued, vigorously debated, accepted and have become established, and venerated to this day. It is only one way of approaching the divine among many in Hinduism.

His text Tattva Bodh is an introductory text to the principles of Advaita, it lays out the terms and their meaning and concept. As was customary in his time for all such texts, he lays out in the introduction the purpose of the text, and also the qualifications one should be endowed with for whom this text will be useful. And for such a person this text will unfold the means of liberation, and the method of enquiry into the nature of Tat, That, Reality and the distinction from what is Not That.
Sankara Acharya developed an extremely sophisticated and abstract philosophy that was simply too abstract for the masses. His brilliance was limited only by his lack of the knowledge that has been made widely available in modern times. His genius is apparent but the wooness was unavoidable given the state of knowledge at the time. I found his writings extremely helpful in formulating my Synthesis with modern science.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:13 PM

802 posts, read 983,828 times
Is there a reason not to post a link to Tattva Bodha?
I would, but it might not be respectful to your intentions.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
Is there a reason not to post a link to Tattva Bodha?
I would, but it might not be respectful to your intentions.
I may be picky, but I did not find a suitable one to provide. The texts that explain were a bit dense, But then the topic is dense.
There are several youtube lectures but I am picky there as well.
I am actually listening to a youtube lecture now which I adore. The swamiji adheres close to the text, and his depth of knowledge is great. He quotes references from other literary traditions, such as the Gita, to expand the meaning. Unfortunately it is not in English, but that is entirely its charm as well.
I was planning to post my understanding of it in sections.
If you find some links that you like, please post! No problem at all!

Old 08-27-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
This introductory text opens with a bow to the Indweller within each of us, the First of all Yogis, the Guru.
Gu=Darkness(ignorance) ru=Remover. The Guru removes ignorance.
Sanskrit has many different names for knowledge. The Bodha in the title refers to knowledge in thought form, ripples of awareness in the mind.
Tat means the pronoun That. So this knowledge is about the Tattva, Thatness, That which is the Eternal Truth. This Bodha reveals to us That which is within us. True knowledge is when we are aware of what we know. If we are unaware of what we know it is the same as ignorance. Tattva Bodha removes Ignorance.
The offer of this knowledge (Bodha) is for the benefit of those who seek liberation from fear and bondage, and the gain of everlasting fullness and peace, called Moksha. It is also defined as cessation of Samsara, the cycle of life and death.
What is the pre-requisite for this study of the Eternal Truth?
This Bodha is suitable for those who are abundantly endowed with the set of four qualifications that makes them moksha-receiving-instruments.
Pre-requisites are important for the study of any discipline because knowledge is not enough; you should be able to utilize the knowledge in order to achieve the goal. Otherwise it would be like teaching a fish how to ride a bicycle.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:13 PM

802 posts, read 983,828 times
This is the version I found. Your interpretation helps to clarify it.

Tattvabodha - Works of Sankaracharya, Advaita Vedanta and Hindu Sacred Scriptures

Old 08-27-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
This is the version I found. Your interpretation helps to clarify it.

Tattvabodha - Works of Sankaracharya, Advaita Vedanta and Hindu Sacred Scriptures
I dont know who Charles Johnston is who seems to have translated it. It captures the terseness of the verses but not the beauty.
Here is another version from the Theosphists, same author.

https://universaltheosophy.com/artic...-tattva-bodha/

Old 08-28-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
The offer of this knowledge (Bodha) is for the benefit of those who seek liberation from fear and bondage, and the gain of everlasting fullness and peace, called Moksha. It is also defined as cessation of Samsara, the cycle of life and death.
What is the pre-requisite for this study of the Eternal Truth?
This Bodha is suitable for those who are abundantly endowed with the set of four qualifications that makes them moksha-receiving-instruments.
Pre-requisites are important for the study of any discipline because knowledge is not enough; you should be able to utilize the knowledge in order to achieve the goal. Otherwise it would be like teaching a fish how to ride a bicycle.
The Four Qualifications needed for Tattva Bodha
There is actually more than four qualifications one needs before we are ready to receive instructions, and importantly, benefit from it. They come in nested forms as we will see.
It is easy to know what changes. Our bodies change, intellectual capability and opinions change, our responsibilities, personality, taste, our religion and the way we worship. Our world changes, job loss, wealth, relationships. The earth, space, the stellar system, climate. There is nothing that does not change. We know this only because we know what changeless means, although we know of nothing that is changeless. It can be only one and it must transcend time and space. This existence of a changeless Reality is Brhman in Vedanta. Quality number one is to have a deep rooted conviction of this distinction between what is Real, Brhman, and what is Un-Real, everything else. This awareness, when deeply ingrained, makes us fearless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality