Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 08:36 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,047,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I thought we knew the thread had run its course when you show up and pretend the Bible is not barbaric and primitive.
It isn't, of course, but my point remains. We've seen all the thread has to offer when the silly argument that it is gets stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 08:43 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,066,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I know the reason. It's because people think they're better than others and they would rather invent their own theology than to go with what God has said about himself.
It seems to me that you are implying that you do not agree with Basil’s theology?

That is fine of course, obviously your choice. I don’t think you have any obligation to defend another’s religious belief.

I do think it is a great example of the denomination problem we recently discussed. From my point of view, how should I determine whose theology is correct, your’s or Basil’s? You both claim to be Christian, I am not convinced by your arguments or his. Isn’t it reasonable, based on this series of posts, for me to conclude that there are multiple denominations of Christianity that do not agree?

Old 09-18-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It seems to me that you are implying that you do not agree with Basil’s theology?

That is fine of course, obviously your choice. I don’t think you have any obligation to defend another’s religious belief.

I do think it is a great example of the denomination problem we recently discussed. From my point of view, how should I determine whose theology is correct, your’s or Basil’s? You both claim to be Christian, I am not convinced by your arguments or his. Isn’t it reasonable, based on this series of posts, for me to conclude that there are multiple denominations of Christianity that do not agree?
Who?

Old 09-18-2020, 08:55 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,066,877 times
Quote:
Who?

This guy. Isn’t that who you were referring to when you responded to me by saying this:

Quote:
I know the reason. It's because people think they're better than others and they would rather invent their own theology than to go with what God has said about himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Yes, we are completely unable to choose him just like we are completely unable to flap our arms and fly around the room. We have free will to do whatever we want to do within our capacity. Prior to God regenerating our spiritual lives we are completely and utterly lifeless in that capacity. It is impossible for us to choose God unless he makes a change in us; yet, we are still given complete free will in our actions.

With us this is impossible. We cannot and will never change anyone's mind about God. God has to work in the person in order for that to happen. I would have read these posts 10 years ago and all the arguments in the world would never had shaken my atheist worldview. God had to soften my heart so that I could submit to him as Lord, to see his word to us as the only revelation we have of God; something that came from outside of this creation to tell us who is the Lord and what he will have from us.

Because he will show mercy on who he will show mercy. God does not yield to anyone's demands. We deserve nothing at his hands but his wrath. God is unbelievably (to the point where I am constantly astonished and amazed at his compassion for us his creatures) merciful, but we cannot presume that he will be merciful. We can plead with him, but sometimes in his own wise counsel he will not give us what we plead for.

I pleaded to the Lord to not take my husband away from me when he had a stroke in 2016. That time he answered me in mercy and he recovered completely. When he had a stroke again Christmas Eve morning 2018, though I pleaded with God to not take my husband from me, this time in his own wise counsel he chose to call my husband home. Do I have any right to be angry at God for not giving me what I want? What right do I have to ask anything at his hands? He has given me the gift of salvation in his son Jesus and that is way more than I or anyone deserves; and if that is all I ever received in life as a blessing that would be more merciful than I or anyone else would ever deserve.

Yes, we are. God has chosen to reveal what he does of himself in his word and we are very fortunate to have that. It is very fortunate to have some people on here who post regularly from God's word.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:54 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,610,700 times
Quote:
That's how we know the thread has run its course -- when Mystic shows up and calls the Bible barbaric and primitive.
He's a sect of your christianity, so add one more to that ever building 30,000 sect count BFun.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:11 AM

63,896 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
How about addressing the reason why people are calling it barbaric?
That would require that he actually properly divide the word into God-inspired and Human-inspired by studying to show oneself approved by testing the spirit of what is "written in ink" against the Holy Spirit as revealed and demonstrated by Jesus. We have the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" but BapFun and his ilk refuse to take advantage of Him and do not trust what is in their hearts.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That would require that he actually properly divide the word into God-inspired and Human-inspired by studying to show oneself approved by testing the spirit of what is "written in ink" against the Holy Spirit as revealed and demonstrated by Jesus. We have the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" but BapFun and his ilk refuse to take advantage of Him and do not trust what is in their hearts.
It's all God-inspired. The fact that you are unwilling to simply believe God is the issue.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:56 AM

63,896 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
It's all God-inspired. The fact that you are unwilling to simply believe God is the issue.
When you unquestioningly accept everything in the Bible you are believing the men who wrote it NOT God. It is NOT all God-inspired. Fallible and ignorant humans decided what was inspired and they interpreted whatever inspirations there actually were. The Bible does contain inspirations from God but it is riddled with primitive ignorance, contradictions, inconsistencies and just a general mishmash of human corruption and fallibility. That is why Jesus had to endure what He did to unambiguously demonstrate the true nature of God's Holy Spirit and unconditional love to counteract the primitive fear of God and misunderstanding of our ancestors. We were told to test the spirit of anything claimed to be from God or Jesus using the guidance of the Holy Spirit (Comforter) sent in Christ's name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts," NOT accept everything "written in ink" by men.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
When you unquestioningly accept everything in the Bible you are believing the men who wrote it NOT God.
Completely incorrect. I believe God 100% controlled what is in the Bible.

So please stop telling me what I believe. That's wrong, it's obnoxious, and I believe it's a rules violation to misrepresent someone.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:11 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,610,700 times
Quote:
Completely incorrect. I believe God 100% controlled what is in the Bible.

So please stop telling me what I believe. That's wrong, it's obnoxious, and I believe it's a rules violation to misrepresent someone.
100% GOD CONTROL GODS INSPIRED WORDS
Quote:
2 Corinthians 4:4 NLT

>>>Satan<<<<, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.
BFun, with these inspired god words, do you believe another evil god (that your god created) has control over me?

Blinding me like your god says?^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality