Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 09:11 AM

15,861 posts, read 6,325,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
so is atheism more about religion than beliefs using the best information we have?
It's the religious that are making these claims about absolutes. Without the God claim, there wouldn't be atheists. Do you see Mystic as using his belief to mean "most likely possibility'? LOL He tries to draw my use of "mostly likely possibility" and equate it with "this is the way it is and anyone who doesn't get that is deficient".

Old 12-15-2020, 09:26 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So atheists can believe in Zeus. Mmmh, I see a problem with your less indolent and less torpid versions. Your vision also appears to be as bad as your arguments.

That is a problem with your logic, not atheism. You are confusing the concept with the actual alleged thing.

And L8Gr8Apost8 never mentioned a "lack of belief", so it appears you are trying to make a valid but irrelevant point.
Atheists can believe in Zeus...you can believe in whatever you want.
If you have a problem with the definitions...take that up with Collins, and Cambridge, etc. I just know what they are...so, take them however you will.
And I will believe what I do about that.
L8G8A8 asked what I saw as the difference...and I answered the question. And noted the TOTN post that tried to validate the "don't have belief" concept. You musta missed that.

Last edited by GldnRule; 12-15-2020 at 09:40 AM..

Old 12-15-2020, 10:04 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It's the religious that are making these claims about absolutes. Without the God claim, there wouldn't be atheists. Do you see Mystic as using his belief to mean "most likely possibility'? LOL He tries to draw my use of "mostly likely possibility" and equate it with "this is the way it is and anyone who doesn't get that is deficient".
some religious people. And since people are people, some atheist are of the same mind set.

My atheism is not in response to religion. I describe reality to the best of my ability, see how it matches, see how others compare, then draw a best fit line. Deny everything just isn't the most rational position.

But actually, based on the information mystic uses, his is up near top of possibilities. "cosmic mind" is plausible. To me anyway. But I am just dork whole.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:22 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
You are wrong, L8. My goal is to ensure that my views are UNDERSTOOD, not accepted. My attempts to clarify the understanding of the science (which often gets scuttled by the forum rules) are not to CONVINCE but to clarify. The same is true of the reasoning and logic of BELIEF which seems poorly understood (often deliberately with some) to support their preferred belief about what the status quo IS. Since they are atheists, they naturally think their negative BELIEF should be the truth until proven otherwise. But with the God issue, that does NOT apply.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are wrong, L8. My goal is to ensure that my views are UNDERSTOOD, not accepted. My attempts to clarify the understanding of the science (which often gets scuttled by the forum rules) are not to CONVINCE but to clarify. The same is true of the reasoning and logic of BELIEF which seems poorly understood (often deliberately with some) to support their preferred belief about what the status quo IS. Since they are atheists, they naturally think their negative BELIEF should be the truth until proven otherwise. But with the God issue, that does NOT apply.
You're not coming across that way. You have at least two posters that get you. That's one more than you need so I don't understand why you keep on with trying to get more.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:02 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
You're not coming across that way. You have at least two posters that get you. That's one more than you need so I don't understand why you keep on with trying to get more.
Why do any of you post here, L8? Is it just to waste time? We all want to be understood correctly by as many people as possible especially about what constitutes a BELIEF. The atheist nonsense of lack of belief constitutes a BELIEF. Ignorance about the IMPLICIT consequences of our views is no excuse for not understanding that just so they can retain their atheism as the truth until proven otherwise.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:08 AM

50,814 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Atheists can believe in Zeus...you can believe in whatever you want.
If you have a problem with the definitions...take that up with Collins, and Cambridge, etc. I just know what they are...so, take them however you will.
And I will believe what I do about that.
L8G8A8 asked what I saw as the difference...and I answered the question. And noted the TOTN post that tried to validate the "don't have belief" concept. You musta missed that.
One who lives by definitions doesn't understand much about life.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Why do any of you post here, L8? Is it just to waste time? We all want to be understood correctly by as many people as possible especially about what constitutes a BELIEF. The atheist nonsense of lack of belief constitutes a BELIEF. Ignorance about the IMPLICIT consequences of our views is no excuse for not understanding that just so they can retain their atheism as the truth until proven otherwise.
I got understood. Now I'm the one trying to understand. I've picked up quite a bit from people on here.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:19 AM

2,962 posts, read 864,084 times
Here’s a friendly discussion between two atheists and a Christian about what it means to be an “atheist.” It deals with the same topics that we are in this thread.

(It makes the point that, when dealing with a topic that cannot be proved with certainty, “burden of justification” is probably more apt than “burden of proof.”)

Unbelievable? [podcast]
Is atheism a "lack of belief"?
Guests: Calum Miller, Paul Orton & Non Stamp Collector

https://www.premierchristianradio.co...r-Unbelievable

Old 12-15-2020, 11:55 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Why do any of you post here, L8? Is it just to waste time? We all want to be understood correctly by as many people as possible especially about what constitutes a BELIEF. The atheist nonsense of lack of belief constitutes a BELIEF.
A NEGATIVE belief.

Quote:
Ignorance about the IMPLICIT consequences of our views is no excuse for not understanding that ...
Yet atheists are allegedly dishonestly defining atheism to avoid this that many are ignorant of.

Quote:
... just so they can retain their atheism as the truth until proven otherwise.
Do YOU post here just to waste time? We have explained this so many times there must be some reason you keep repeating this straw man.

We are not claiming atheism is the truth, we are saying we have no reason to believe your claims unless you provide credible evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.