Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 02:04 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
......, Come on. you know that I cannot sit by and not point out that something I believe to be a sham is in fact a sham and I can show how it is a sham.
Sham because 'Easter' (Resurrection of Spring) and Lent fasting is Not in Scripture.
What is in Scripture is that food does NOT commend us to God according to 1st Corinthians 8:8.
So, whether we eat or don't eat it does Not bring us nearer or closer to the God of the Bible.
What is in Scripture is that Jesus wants us to remember: the day of his death - Luke 22:19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 06:23 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, scripture for Paul came from texts found in our OT, but he also uses a lost text.

He does? I never noticed that one. Could you direct me to where I can find some indication of a lost text he is using? I only saw identifiable OT and some ideas of his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As an alternative to your lying hypothesis, Harry, I would argue that Paul brought a deeper understanding of the Torah to those who simply were not ready for it. The Kabbalah is at least two spiritual levels above the simple reading of the Torah and few there are who grasp it. Paul was apparently one who did and recognized Jesus as far more than another rabbi or worldly Messiah. The task, however, was to present it in a way that the average bear could get some handle on. That is not to say Paul had no personal failings or faults. (Obviously, I have no problem accepting his spiritual encounter with Christ.)
We'll leave the lying to you, Mystic. I agree with Harry's idea of ..what..analogy, did he say? There's a lot of metaphor and symbolism. For instance the cursing of the fig tree depicted as an actual event Just before (significantly) Jesus does the ruckus in the Temple, but I reckon shows (like the symbolism of the sheltering chicken wings and weeping of Jerusalem and indeed 'look at the trees') that the Jewish acceptance of Jesus was not going to flourish and ripen and thus Jerusalem would be punished by being destroyed.

I do, however, think there is a basic story presented as being actual events with Jesus mission to announce his messiaship and giving miracle proofs of it. Plus of course the crucifixion which (to me) has to be a real event. It is heavily overlaid with Christian views, beliefs and propaganda shoved into Jesus' mouth, but that's polemics rather than analogy or symbolism.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-21-2021 at 06:33 PM..

Old 02-21-2021, 06:28 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
He does? I never noticed that one. Could you direct me to where I can find some indication of a lost text he is using? I only saw identifiable OT and some ideas of his own.
Those ideas of his own are from an advanced understanding of the spiritual Torah beyond the written Torah and oral Talmud.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Those ideas of his own are from an advanced understanding of the spiritual Torah beyond the written Torah and oral Talmud.
Thank you, but (".. he also uses a lost text..." you said) could you direct me to some passages in his letters that will show that he is reading (it would have to be quoting) from some unknown Torah, scripture or text, no matter how he interprets it?

Old 02-22-2021, 01:37 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Your hypothesis to explain Paul is that he was lying.
No, my position is that we do not have enough information to know how much he lied, or if he was mentally ill or not. His letters tell us what he believed, where his knowledge came from (scripture and visions), and how passionate he was, but they do not tell us how dishonest he was or his mental health.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:41 AM

Quote:
The clever ruse that no God is needed is known as begging the question since we do not know what is needed for Reality to exist because we do not know what Reality is or is not. The supernatural nonsense is also superfluous since there is no such thing anyway just what is not currently understood.
No, it is an observation. We do not need a god to explain why galaxies form, or why we evolved. Your 'we do not know' is an admission you have no evidence for gods.

Quote:
Because it is never left at "we do not know." They want to assert the default is, therefore no God exists until proven otherwise which is an unsupportable premise because we do not know to what the existing evidence belongs.
Why do you keep repeating this lie?

Old 02-22-2021, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Sham because 'Easter' (Resurrection of Spring) and Lent fasting is Not in Scripture.
What is in Scripture is that food does NOT commend us to God according to 1st Corinthians 8:8.
So, whether we eat or don't eat it does Not bring us nearer or closer to the God of the Bible.
What is in Scripture is that Jesus wants us to remember: the day of his death - Luke 22:19
And Matthew disagrees. No bacon.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:59 AM

Quote:
1 Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

He is literally quoting a text we no longer have.

Quote:
I agree with Harry's idea of ..what..analogy, did he say? There's a lot of metaphor and symbolism. For instance the cursing of the fig tree depicted as an actual event Just before (significantly) Jesus does the ruckus in the Temple, but I reckon shows (like the symbolism of the sheltering chicken wings and weeping of Jerusalem and indeed 'look at the trees') that the Jewish acceptance of Jesus was not going to flourish and ripen and thus Jerusalem would be punished by being destroyed.
The fig tree represents Old Judaism and it's Temple worship*, Jesus is the New Judaism where Jesus replaces the need to worship at the temple. That is why we have the Temple ruckus between the 2 parts of the fig tree story.

* cursing the fig tree for not bearing fruit in the season when fig trees do not bear fruit does not make literal sense.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, my position is that we do not have enough information to know how much he lied, or if he was mentally ill or not. His letters tell us what he believed, where his knowledge came from (scripture and visions), and how passionate he was, but they do not tell us how dishonest he was or his mental health.

I'll bet my pension that Paul was dishonest, or at least a fiddler, even if he shut his eyes to it, not only in playing fast and loose with the OT to give spurious authority to his own argument, but also in being crafty about claiming to be as much an apostle as those who (so I'm inclined to believe) actually followed Jesus.

I'm also a bit suspicious about how he expostulates about not being guilty of scrounging off the churches, and his bland admission that he played the Jew to Jews but the Gentile to Gentiles, just to present an attractive face to them. Used car salesman, trust me, like a couple of those evangelists.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:55 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

We'll leave the lying to you, Mystic. I agree with Harry's idea of ..what..analogy, did he say? There's a lot of metaphor and symbolism. For instance the cursing of the fig tree depicted as an actual event Just before (significantly) Jesus does the ruckus in the Temple, but I reckon shows (like the symbolism of the sheltering chicken wings and weeping of Jerusalem and indeed 'look at the trees') that the Jewish acceptance of Jesus was not going to flourish and ripen and thus Jerusalem would be punished by being destroyed.

I do, however, think there is a basic story presented as being actual events with Jesus mission to announce his messiaship and giving miracle proofs of it. Plus of course the crucifixion which (to me) has to be a real event. It is heavily overlaid with Christian views, beliefs and propaganda shoved into Jesus' mouth, but that's polemics rather than analogy or symbolism.
Any missing texts would be the Zoharic texts of the Kabbalah. Those contain the advanced spiritual interpretations of the Torah and Talmud. What Harry calls lying were Paul's attempts to "dumb down" the concepts for their primitive carnal minds to understand and accept. That was also the reason for Jesus' parables and other "carnal milk."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality