Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 01:17 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,649,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Can you clarify what you mean?

I've known many people to claim they are agnostic but not atheist. You are the first "agnostic atheist" I've come across. Agnostic means something different than atheist far as I know anyway. Looks like we've got to pull out the old dictionary again...

Religious: relating to or believing in a religion.

Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Gnostic/agnostic is about knowledge of a god/s, or not.

Theist/atheist is about belief in a god/s, or not.

Is there a god? I don't know. Because I don't know, I don't believe in one. Therefore, I am an agnostic atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 02:18 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,228,035 times
Interesting. I consider myself a pure Agnostic. I truly have no idea what so ever if there is a god. Given enough time, it's perfectly reasonable to me that the universe, including the earth, people, animals, plants, stars etc all came to be from natural causes. Scientists hypothesize that the universe is at least 13.7 billion years old. That is a really long time for things to happen with out any help from a higher power. On the other hand, there could be a god, but likely not at all like the bible version. Psychedelic's can assist in writing strange texts.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:44 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,649,844 times
Belief in a Creator does not answer the question of our origins, though. It only removes it a step.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:19 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,605,114 times
"Birth" kinds of answers it.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:25 PM

63,899 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
"Birth" kind of answers it.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:50 PM

15,885 posts, read 6,352,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Another?

How so?
I think most atheists are agnostic atheists. That is what Dawkins calls himself.

Theist: belief in Gods or Gods specifically a creator.
(A)theist: lacks belief in those claims.

I am not sure there is no creator and would not state there is no God as a factual claim That makes me agnostic. It seems obvious to me but I've learned me feeling sure isn't always a valid indicator.

A person can be an agnostic theist as well if they say they believe but they wouldn't make a statement such as "there is a God" as a factual statement.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:10 PM

16,023 posts, read 7,063,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Interesting. I consider myself a pure Agnostic. I truly have no idea what so ever if there is a god. Given enough time, it's perfectly reasonable to me that the universe, including the earth, people, animals, plants, stars etc all came to be from natural causes. Scientists hypothesize that the universe is at least 13.7 billion years old. That is a really long time for things to happen with out any help from a higher power. On the other hand, there could be a god, but likely not at all like the bible version. Psychedelic's can assist in writing strange texts.
what are the “natural causes”. has anyone been able to isolate these and reproduce the same effect? why does attributing to smithing that is only a theory seems more substantial than the idea of all pervading existence?

Old 09-23-2021, 04:55 AM

16,809 posts, read 5,009,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Gnostic/agnostic is about knowledge of a god/s, or not.

Theist/atheist is about belief in a god/s, or not.

Is there a god? I don't know. Because I don't know, I don't believe in one. Therefore, I am an agnostic atheist.
I agree.

From this you can draw a graph with belief and knowledge as axes, and plot your position. However, as belief should be based on knowledge, one can use a straight line (just like Dawkin's scale). So agnosticism would be closer to the middle (one has no information to make a claim, so you are 50/50), and theism / atheism would be on either end of the line. The more knowledge one has, the less agnostic is that person.

If one believes they have enough knowledge to make a definite claim for gods or no gods, you can not be agnostic. I doubt most atheists claim to have the knowledge to definitely say gods do not exist, therefore most will be agnostic to some degree. Presumably this is true for many theists as well.

Me, I am 99.999999 sure gods do not exist, so I am an atheist. As I do not have sufficient knowledge to make an absolute claim, I am also agnostic, but only a little.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:11 AM

63,899 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Me, I am 99.999999 sure gods do not exist, so I am an atheist. As I do not have sufficient knowledge to make an absolute claim, I am also agnostic, but only a little.
This simply measures the degree to which you are wedded to your physical existence. For some unknown reason, you seem 100% convinced you do not exist only your physical factory (brain and body) exists and you are an illusion. It is a very common misperception especially among neuroscientists who disavow the homunculus as an axiom.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:17 AM

16,023 posts, read 7,063,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This simply measures the degree to which you are wedded to your physical existence. For some unknown reason, you seem 100% convinced you do not exist only your physical factory (brain and body) exists and you are an illusion. It is a very common misperception especially among neuroscientists who disavow the homunculus as an axiom.
Actually both are illusions, the body-mind complex as well as the ego, the “you”. There is only the Oneness. Agnostic and Atheistic are non-existence, not-something, illusions. Religious is duality and also an illusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality