Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 10:20 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There may be differences in very specific churches (I'm talking about churches as in a specific building), but there's that much difference in the general message of most christian churches. What differences there are, are magnified by members to separate themselves from the rest of christianity as just one more means of saying, "We're special".

I was raised in the Methodist Church, and since that time have attended a few other Protestant churches' including a First Congregational Church. They all base their liturgy on the bible, and those stories are all pretty much the same. Certain rituals may be different. Hymns may be different. And worst of all -- in today's America -- some churches are mixing in heavy doses of politics, because they don't believe in separating church and state. But basic beliefs...not so different. Even in the Catholic church, the primary differences are in the rituals, not the basic beliefs.

Here's the Nicene Creed: "I believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages, God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten not made, being of one substance with the Father, through Whom all things were made: Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man: Who for us, too, was crucified under Pontius Pilate, suffered, and was buried: the third day He rose according to the Scriptures, ascended into heaven, and is seated on the right hand of the Father: He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead, and His kingdom shall have no end. And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of life, Who proceeds from the Father and the Son: Who together with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified: Who spoke by the prophets. And I believe one holy, Christian, and apostolic Church.
I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins, and I look for the resurrection of the dead and life of
the age to come. Amen."

Among the christian churches, which ones deviate much from that?
Imagine a church where there is not an actual "Liturgy". One that actually reads a passage of Scripture, then the pastor goes verse by verse, explaining what the context, historical and grammatical was, and how we should consider it relevant to our Christian lives today. No politics involved...just worship, and explanation and application of God's Word.

No disrespect to your Methodist Church, or the Congregational Church, or the Catholic Church, but there is a HUGE difference between a Reformed Baptist and any of them. Seriously. The person that suggests that they're all basically the same is simply ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 10:30 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Imagine a church where there is not an actual "Liturgy". One that actually reads a passage of Scripture, then the pastor goes verse by verse, explaining what the context, historical and grammatical was, and how we should consider it relevant to our Christian lives today. No politics involved...just worship, and explanation and application of God's Word.

No disrespect to your Methodist Church, or the Congregational Church, or the Catholic Church, but there is a HUGE difference between a Reformed Baptist and any of them. Seriously. The person that suggests that they're all basically the same is simply ignorant.
So what you're telling us, in simple terms, is that various christian churches do not teach christ's message. Thank you for admitting that. [Of course, I'm sure YOUR church is one of those who teach christ's message...because you folks are the special chosen ones. All those other christians...bad people...probably going to hell].

Old 10-26-2021, 11:08 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,460 times
Quote:
I've worked with some Amish and very conservative Mennonites. Many of them were good, God-fearing men and women. But many of them were absolutely clueless about who God is. Don't make the mistake to think that just because they're Amish or Mennonite they are in the true faith.
...so...you are now the self appointed judge of who is or isn't "clueless about who God is"...you're no ones judge but your own..
...do you routinely take the Lords name in vain when you pass judgment on other Christians?...because that's exactly what you're doing...only God judges, not you...

Old 10-26-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...so...you are now the self appointed judge of who is or isn't "clueless about who God is"...you're no ones judge but your own..
Did I say that?

When Homer tells me "I don't know that much" and can't quote basic Bible verses, and can't have a basic conversation about God, it tells me that he doesn't have a clue.
Quote:

...do you routinely take the Lords name in vain when you pass judgment on other Christians?...because that's exactly what you're doing...only God judges, not you...
Wow. You mean like you're judging me, right now? ya hypocrite

Old 10-26-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So what you're telling us, in simple terms, is that various christian churches do not teach christ's message. Thank you for admitting that. [Of course, I'm sure YOUR church is one of those who teach christ's message...because you folks are the special chosen ones. All those other christians...bad people...probably going to hell].
Did I say that?

You see, this is why I usually don't respond to you. You take what I say and completely reword it to say what I wasn't saying. Nowhere in that post did I make the statement you attribute to me.

You're a bad person. That's just wrong. Please stop it.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:47 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Did I say that?

When Homer tells me "I don't know that much" and can't quote basic Bible verses, and can't have a basic conversation about God, it tells me that he doesn't have a clue.

You have a long record on this forum of deciding who the 'real christians' are.

Old 10-26-2021, 02:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:

Or that person understands what the Body of Christ means. You do realize that the reformed Baptist church doesn’t have a monopoly on biblical truth.

Old 10-26-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Did I say that?

...i simply asked you a question...sounds to me like you're judging a fellow Christian, which by proxy, is taking the Lords name in vain...you are not the judge of anyone but yourself...

Old 10-26-2021, 02:53 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...i simply asked you a question...sounds to me like you're judging a fellow Christian, which by proxy, is taking the Lords name in vain...you are not the judge of anyone but yourself...
You did more than ask a question. You made two judgments against BF, by my count. Your post is right there for everyone to see. There's no sense in trying to hide from it.

Old 10-26-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You did more than ask a question. You made two judgments against BF, by my count. Your post is right there for everyone to see. There's no sense in trying to hide from it.
... hide from it?...who's hiding from anything?...i'm not out here claiming to be a the expert on all Christians, and Christianity...BF seems to have appointed himself that position, and if you agree with him that besmirching other sects based on some biblical bias then, have at it...i think it's wrong..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality