Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 09:39 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

You may have read in the news about the Whoopi Goldberg suspension because she said Jewish is not a race.

I don't care about Whoopi. She's not my question.

Is Jewish a race?

Maybe we have some posters who are Jewish who could explain this to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 09:47 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You may have read in the news about the Whoopi Goldberg suspension because she said Jewish is not a race.

Is Jewish a race?

I do not think so. Jews can be Asian, black or of any race as far as I know.

I am ethnically Jewish and Causians. But there are posters than know much more knowlwdgable about Jewish culture and history

Old 02-01-2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I do not think so. Jews can be Asian, black or of any race as far as I know.

I am ethnically Jewish and Causians. But there are posters than know much more knowlwdgable about Jewish culture and history
That was my impression, too. I have known people who have converted into Judaism, and of course there was Sammy Davis. He certainly was not no longer Black when he became Jewish.

I'm just confused by the controversy.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:34 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I think the issue is that "race" is not easily definable, and we know that some anthropologists state that race has no biological basis. I get that to a black woman, it looks like two groups of white people, but within people of the same skin color, they may see those who are not like them as a different race. That's what the Nazis did.

It's happened in history among other white people. Italians were most certainly not seen as the same race/not white in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Irish were listed as non-white in the first few U.S. censuses.

It exists within black-skinned people (Hutsis vs. Tutus, anyone?) and within ethnicities in places like China.

I've heard Jews more often describe themselves as a tribe rather than a race.

Old 02-02-2022, 04:29 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,709,280 times
There is a Jewish religion.

There is also a Jewish ethnic group, not all of whose members practice Judaism.

Like most words, Jew and Jewish each have multiple definitions which are related but different.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:12 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Is Jewish a race?

Whoopi said that the Holocaust was not about race which was the problem since Hitler was all about the superiority of the Aryan race as he defined it. The Holocaust was the systematic extermination of what Hitler considered inferior races. It was more of a misunderstanding about the racial motivation of the Holocaust.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Whoopi said that the Holocaust was not about race which was the problem since Hitler was all about the superiority of the Aryan race as he defined it. The Holocaust was the systematic extermination of what Hitler considered inferior races. It was more of a misunderstanding about the racial motivation of the Holocaust.
Okay. That makes sense.

I finally found this from National Geographic: “Race” is usually associated with biology and linked with physical characteristics such as skin color or hair texture. “Ethnicity” is linked with cultural expression and identification. However, both are social constructs used to categorize and characterize seemingly distinct populations."

I guess I need to see if I can find the video. But to me after just hearing about the situation, it would seem that Whoopi was technically correct -- that it wasn't about "race" but "ethnicity". But again, I'm going to look for the video.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:20 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
"Jewish" can be either a racial or religious identifier, or both, or neither. Well, maybe not neither. It's whichever serves the interest of the one doing the identifying.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:29 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times
You ask a fine question but I believe that he answer is more complex than it seems it would be.

First, in current understanding, Judaism has a strong racial (that is, genetic) component -- if you have a Jewish mother, you are Jewish by birth. But Judaism also has other aspects, especially as it allows for conversion IN to the religion (you cannot convert into a race). So to answer simply, "yes and no."

The Nazis saw themselves as a race distinct from Jews so for them, the "no" part was missing. They saw Judaism as a race and not part of theirs.

Next, "race" is a complicated term that has been used at times by anthropologists to discuss people from a certain area, or who share physical characteristics, but that use (which is easy and obvious when we look at skin color) has become unpopular. Race now, has to do with a shared ethnicity or heritage (or other group characteristic). So racial identity might have nothing to do with the conventional, physical "race" concept. Thus, the word "racism" now refers to marginalizing any sub-group.

So by the Nazi's vision of the world, by the application of specific elements of "race" to Judaism, and by the more expansive current use of "race" Jews victimized can certainly be said to be the victims of racism.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
You ask a fine question but I believe that he answer is more complex than it seems it would be.

First, in current understanding, Judaism has a strong racial (that is, genetic) component -- if you have a Jewish mother, you are Jewish by birth. But Judaism also has other aspects, especially as it allows for conversion IN to the religion (you cannot convert into a race). So to answer simply, "yes and no."

The Nazis saw themselves as a race distinct from Jews so for them, the "no" part was missing. They saw Judaism as a race and not part of theirs.

Next, "race" is a complicated term that has been used at times by anthropologists to discuss people from a certain area, or who share physical characteristics, but that use (which is easy and obvious when we look at skin color) has become unpopular. Race now, has to do with a shared ethnicity or heritage (or other group characteristic). So racial identity might have nothing to do with the conventional, physical "race" concept. Thus, the word "racism" now refers to marginalizing any sub-group.

So by the Nazi's vision of the world, by the application of specific elements of "race" to Judaism, and by the more expansive current use of "race" Jews victimized can certainly be said to be the victims of racism.
I don't agree with what I bolded at all. We don't have a 'gay race'. We don't have a 'transgender race'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality