Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 10:35 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm talking about life in general, not just on this forum.
Phet, I continue to marvel at a particular source of attention that you can't seem to divert yourself from...

One you take far too seriously, far too often and by doing so only direct more attention in that direction rather than where your attention is far better served. What's up with that I continue to wonder? To focus on just about anything else is not at all hard to do. Is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 10:39 AM

63,898 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Phet, I continue to marvel at a particular source of attention that you can't seem to divert yourself from...

One you take far too seriously, far too often and by doing so only direct more attention in that direction rather than where your attention is far better served. What's up with that I continue to wonder? To focus on just about anything else is not at all hard to do. Is it?
Actually, it is hard to do for those who are abreacting to a lifetime of cumulative frustration, Gldn. It is similar in power to OCD, but it is NOT a mental illness.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:40 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,662,615 times
Quote:

I already explained why you all are compelled to do that...but I'm not allowed to say it any more.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:43 AM

16,709 posts, read 15,709,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Then stop visiting a forum called Religion and Spirituality, duh. They on the other hand are staying on their lane - R&S. If they visit Atheism, go ahead and bite their head off. This is not hard.
Better yet, find a more worthwhile purpose in life other than general nastiness.
As you can tell from the Sticky post the City-Data owner made when he created the Atheism and Agnosticism sub-forum, discussing the merits of different world views is exactly what he expects here in the main R&S forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
This sub-forum is not the place for proselytizing or attempting to convert atheists or agnostics. It is meant for atheists and agnostics interested in discussions among themselves and for others who want to learn more about this worldview and are interested in posing non-confrontational questions to atheists or agnostics. Use our main Religion and Philosophy forum if you want to debate the merits of this worldview (but do a search first to see if your topics have already been discussed).

Old 04-03-2022, 10:44 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,662,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually, it is hard to do for those who are abreacting to a lifetime of cumulative frustration, Gldn. It is similar in power to OCD, but it is NOT a mental illness.
You are right Mystic...it is not specifically a "illness"
I explained many times what so completely compels them.
But I am now proscribed from noting it.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:48 AM

50,923 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:

Sorta like your 10 what are they? And your cement theory. You bring those criticisms onto yourself, as well. Although I did think it was a good work and worthwhile.

I often think of the line from "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington": "I guess this is just another lost cause Mr. Paine. All you people don't know about lost causes. Mr. Paine does. He said once they were the only causes worth fighting for and he fought for them once. For the only reason any man ever fights for them. Because of just one plain simple rule. Love thy neighbor. And in this world today of great hatred a man who knows that rule has a great trust. You know that rule Mr. Paine and I loved you for it just as my father did. And you know that you fight harder for the lost causes than for any others. Yes you'd even die for them. Like a man we both knew Mr. Paine. You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked. Well I'm not licked. And I'm gonna stay right here and fight for this lost cause. Even if this room gets filled with lies like these. And the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place. Somebody will listen to me."

Old 04-03-2022, 10:58 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sorta like your 10 what are they? And your cement theory. You bring those criticisms onto yourself, as well. Although I did think it was a good work and worthwhile.

I often think of the line from "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington": "I guess this is just another lost cause Mr. Paine. All you people don't know about lost causes. Mr. Paine does. He said once they were the only causes worth fighting for and he fought for them once. For the only reason any man ever fights for them. Because of just one plain simple rule. Love thy neighbor. And in this world today of great hatred a man who knows that rule has a great trust. You know that rule Mr. Paine and I loved you for it just as my father did. And you know that you fight harder for the lost causes than for any others. Yes you'd even die for them. Like a man we both knew Mr. Paine. You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked. Well I'm not licked. And I'm gonna stay right here and fight for this lost cause. Even if this room gets filled with lies like these. And the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place. Somebody will listen to me."
I'm not sure I follow, but of course there is no question which comments or threads some people find more interesting than others. We're all different along those lines too. Mine don't suit everyone, but I'm not obsessed about responding to any one person in this forum. Over and over again only to generate the same repetition and fill these threads with the very same exchange over and over again. What sort of different outcome can you possibly be expecting, or is it the same outcome that you are wanting?

I think what you describe as a "lost cause" here is not the sort of lost cause that comes to my mind in this particular case.

Thanks for another compliment about my "work" though. I try. I appreciate your comments more generally speaking (when not sucked into that one orbit you have trouble escaping). I sign off now with hopes you can somehow divert your attention to where it can achieve better things.

Old 04-03-2022, 11:12 AM

50,923 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I follow, but of course there is no question which comments or threads some people find more interesting than others. We're all different along those lines too. Mine don't suit everyone, but I'm not obsessed about responding to any one person in this forum. Over and over again only to generate the same repetition and fill these threads with the very same exchange over and over again. What sort of different outcome can you possibly be expecting, or is it the same outcome that you are wanting?

I think what you describe as a "lost cause" here is not the sort of lost cause that comes to my mind in this particular case.

Thanks for another compliment about my "work" though. I try. I appreciate your comments more generally speaking (when not sucked into that one orbit you have trouble escaping). I sign off now with hopes you can somehow divert your attention to where it can achieve better things.
One can't escape what is placed in front of him repeatedly.

Old 04-03-2022, 11:16 AM

16,020 posts, read 7,063,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
As you can tell from the Sticky post the City-Data owner made when he created the Atheism and Agnosticism sub-forum, discussing the merits of different world views is exactly what he expects here in the main R&S forum.

Who is trying to convert atheists to do anything? If a discussion of spirituality or divinity , which may include prayer, rattles atheists, the simple thing would be to ignore the post. Not shut down the discussion on spirituality and religion, which may include prayer. That is not exactly a way to promote world views.

Old 04-03-2022, 11:48 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Who is trying to convert atheists to do anything? If a discussion of spirituality or divinity , which may include prayer, rattles atheists, the simple thing would be to ignore the post. Not shut down the discussion on spirituality and religion, which may include prayer. That is not exactly a way to promote world views.
There have been lots of theists posting on the atheists forum, but there is in rule probably so the forum is a discussion not a meanx to attempt to convert. Any theist is welcome there as long as the stay within the rules.

In the Christianity forum I cannot claim the Bible is fiction, Jesus did not exist or that there is no God. When I do post there I stay within the forum rules out of respect to the forum. It should be no harder for a theist to follow simple and straightforth rules than it is an atheist.

And the R&S has neither of those rules and therefor both may occur. Itshould be very simple for believers and non believers to stick to the rules set by the owners and not complain about some of the rules and take advantage of the others.

Theists are free and encouraged to post in the atheists form and stheists should and are allowed to post in the Christianity, Judaidm, Pagan or Islam forums. Just respect the rules.

Have there been threads with prayers shut down in the R&S forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality