Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 11:05 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But now you are talking about law, which is different from religion.
Religion has laws as well. Prescriptions on how to live, how to act, responsibilities to self, others, community, to environment. Secular laws are inspired by religious laws and thoughts. When Oppenhimer dropped the atom bomb, he was inspired to quote from the Bhagavad Gita.

https://www.openculture.com/2020/09/...%20a%20Comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 11:20 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Religion has laws as well. Prescriptions on how to live, how to act, responsibilities to self, others, community, to environment. Secular laws are inspired by religious laws and thoughts. When Oppenhimer dropped the atom bomb, he was inspired to quote from the Bhagavad Gita.

https://www.openculture.com/2020/09/...%20a%20Comment
Yeah, that's not in question, and is sort of a Captain Obvious statement, so I'm not sure what your point is here.

I was responding specifically to rstevens's words, which are true outside of religion:

Quote:
To enjoy life and have a decent quality of life, one must follow the rules and behave.

An example...what do you think prevents most people from going out and robbing a bank? Is it their personal desire to be obedient and refrain from stealing...or is it that many just do not want to pay the consequences of doing that, and give up their quality of life, freedom?

This is why we have laws in place in this world, it relies heavily on people wanting to avoid those consequences.
Whatever their original source, laws exist for and are respected by non-believers, as well.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:28 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Religion has laws as well. Prescriptions on how to live, how to act, responsibilities to self, others, community, to environment. Secular laws are inspired by religious laws and thoughts.
No, religion adopts the laws of the current environment, and then freezes them until a better view comes along. That is why we do not follow the laws of the OT, because they are often not that good.

The secular laws we in the West follow are based on philosophical and logical arguments made by the ancient Greeks. A lot of ancient Greek philosophy was independent of religious beliefs.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:49 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Anyone who believes the entire point of Christianity is to "do good", meaning to feed people, give money, etc....is just missing the point. No one expects that of other non-profit groups they may belong to. The local VFW isn't judged by how many lunches they hand out. They have a different purpose.

The point of a church is to be a collection of people that gather in worship together of Almighty God. As a secondary mission, no church who wants to glorify God doesn't do things like feed people and provide for those that need help, but that's not our primary goal. We don't exist ONLY to run a food pantry. We exist to worship God and foster spiritual growth. And spiritual growth benefits a community. If you doubt that just take a look at the world when we fail to value the things God values. We're seeing it now in our culture.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:52 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Anyone who believes the entire point of Christianity is to "do good", meaning to feed people, give money, etc....is just missing the point. No one expects that of other non-profit groups they may belong to. The local VFW isn't judged by how many lunches they hand out. They have a different purpose.

The point of a church is to be a collection of people that gather in worship together of Almighty God. As a secondary mission, no church who wants to glorify God doesn't do things like feed people and provide for those that need help, but that's not our primary goal. We don't exist ONLY to run a food pantry. We exist to worship God and foster spiritual growth. And spiritual growth benefits a community. If you doubt that just take a look at the world when we fail to value the things God values. We're seeing it now in our culture.
What are you talking about? You folks keep claiming that you're in the vast majority in the country. Why are failing so badly?

Old 06-16-2022, 12:07 PM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
We can only deal with one thread at a time, and address only one post and its content at a time. I expect those who posted what you claim were adequately responded to in that thread. I dont see atheists being exactly shy in responding to attacks like that.
I am only addressing the post i responded to and its lack of authenticity. In any case everyone has right to express their opinion, and do so often and repeatedly, and some may hurt.
I didn't say, or even imply that such statements were made in only one thread. Such statements were made many times by several different people over multiple thread covering several years.

I don't see how you could have read my post to mean that it only took place in one thread.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:07 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It is also insulting to religious people themselves because it suggests that they are moral not because the have empathy, compassion, kindness, selflessness or general good character, but only because they fear god's wrath and punishment.
Quote:
Who exactly is suggesting this? A passive aggressive voice?
Nobody, believer or not, would say this. They will only see the goodness in the act. And even if the fear of god keeps one on the straight and narrow what is wrong with that. He will reap the rewards, in this world and the next. It is a win win.
Quote:
We can only deal with one thread at a time, and address only one post and its content at a time. I expect those who posted what you claim were adequately responded to in that thread. I dont see atheists being exactly shy in responding to attacks like that.
I am only addressing the post i responded to and its lack of authenticity. In any case everyone has right to express their opinion, and do so often and repeatedly, and some may hurt.
Quote:
Yeah, that's not in question, and is sort of a Captain Obvious statement, so I'm not sure what your point is here.

I was responding specifically to rstevens's words:

Whatever their original source, laws exist for and are respected by non-believers, as well.
Being Theologically affiliated is (and has been) The Way of the World. 8 to 9 out of 10.
This is such a saturation of the populace, that anything done (including legislative) will be influenced by it.
And any laws/ordinances/regulations that are created by these majority Religion influenced people will apply to everyone in the jurisdiction.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I didn't say, or even imply that such statements were made in only one thread. Such statements were made many times by several different people over multiple thread covering several years.

I don't see how you could have read my post to mean that it only took place in one thread.
Ok then. Whatever threads these words were exchanged were, I assume, those threads were responded to adequately, over the years.

Is that better? I don't know what you expect me to say. I don't carry the entire epistemology of R&S in my head when I respond to one post. It is not that important in my life.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:

I was responding specifically to rstevens's words, which are true outside of religion:

The point is the laws that are made in a secular democratic state are inspired by religious laws. That is one of the ways Religion does Good, to keep up with the topic. While those laws originally organized the community, now they are adopted by the state. And yes everyone is bound by it.
I guess I am not sure what your point is.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:31 PM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Ok then. Whatever threads these words were exchanged were, I assume, those threads were responded to adequately, over the years.

Is that better? I don't know what you expect me to say. I don't carry the entire epistemology of R&S in my head when I respond to one post. It is not that important in my life.
You said, incorrectly, that nobody would ever say such a thing. All I did was correct your error. Those statements toward nonbelievers haven't been made for several years, and they may very well predate your participation in the R&S forums. If you don't believe me, you can go search old threads in the Atheism and Agnosticism forum and read them yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality