Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 12:07 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well...let's get the overall view of Atheism. Not "my" view...not "your" view...but the full view, overall.
The FACT of the matter...is that Atheism is viewed as poorly as any concept, ever.
It's as "bad" and as 'ugly" as it gets...and very little "good" is found in it, by society, overall.
Atheists are viewed on the same level as rapists...and are some of the "most hated & least trusted" there are.
That's just how it is:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...s-we-distrust/

I believe it is the Militant Anti-Religion Atheists with their caustic, toxic spew that instigate such feelings towards them.
Naturally your caustic, toxic spew misrepresentation of us as "Militant Anti-Religion Atheists with their caustic, toxic spew" has nothing to do with promoting hatred.

But well done for showing just how subconsciously afraid many of the religious actually are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 12:35 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Naturally your caustic, toxic spew misrepresentation of us as "Militant Anti-Religion Atheists with their caustic, toxic spew" has nothing to do with promoting hatred. But well done for showing just how subconsciously afraid many of the religious actually are.
There is a widespread perception of atheists, and research documents it is even held by atheists themselves. This is well-documented through studies, research, reports, and data which clearly show that atheists are among the least trusted and most disliked groups. "Research shows that atheists are trusted less than religious people. In fact, even atheists trust their fellow atheists less than religious people." Links to research are shown here:

Scientific American, "In Atheists We Distrust"
"Atheists are one of the most disliked groups in America."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...s-we-distrust/

Time, "Atheism on the Rise, But Still Most Mistrusted Group in America"
"Even an Increasingly Godless America Doesn't Trust an Atheist to Run the Country"

https://time.com/109050/a-nation-of-...n-the-country/

University of Minnesota, "Atheists remain most disliked religious minority in the U.S."
"Americans have sharpened their negative views of atheists, despite an increase in people identifying as non-religious and an increase in public discussion of non-belief."

https://twin-cities.umn.edu/news-eve...us-minority-us

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-22-2022 at 01:10 AM..

Old 06-22-2022, 12:38 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
And more here, see links below.

What's interesting in reading comments on this forum, is the extent to which some atheists posting here on CD have gone to, to not only blame religion for the problems of the world and the problems in their life, but also to blame religion for their own behavior, and the behavior of the people around them. And when it is mentioned, for instance some of the off-putting behavior, that too is the fault of religion because, as one atheist on CD said, atheism wouldn't exist if there wasn't religion, so if people find the behavior of atheists objectionable, that too is the fault of religion.

It is downright comical. Well, maybe not comical, but certainly not rational. it's like if someone robs a bank, and then says it's the banks fault, because if the bank wasn't there then the robber wouldn't have robbed it.

Psychology Today, "The Distrust Of Atheists"
"What is it about atheists that puts people off so much?"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...trust-atheists

ABC News, "Distrusting Atheists"
"Atheists are seen by many Americans , in the words of sociologist Penny Edgell, the study's lead researcher, "A glaring exception to the rule of increasing tolerance over the last 30 years." Americans are not fond of atheists and trust them less than they do other groups. The depth of this distrust is a bit astonishing nonetheless."

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/st...1786422&page=1

Pew Research Center, "Ten Facts About Atheists"
"Americans feel less warmly toward atheists than they do toward members of most major religious groups."

https://www.pewforum.org/2017/02/15/...n-partisanship

The Conversation,"Why some people distrust atheists"
"Research shows that atheists are trusted less than religious people. In fact, even atheists trust their fellow atheists less than religious people."

https://theconversation.com/why-some...theists-126566[/quote]

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-22-2022 at 01:14 AM..

Old 06-22-2022, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
i don’t find any of those terms describe Atheism but since some people want balance i thought i will throw it out there.
i hardly ever think of Atheism or Atheists actually until i come to this forum. i would say it is invisible. i find no relevance to it in culture, art, social or political stage or anything of importance. there is just simply nothing interesting or live about it. would it matter to the world if atheism never existed?
Your post says more about you than it does about atheism.

It's relevance depends on how common religious belief is, because atheism is a response to theism. It's relevance is that it may be true, and based on what we know at this time, probably is. Atheism is a conclusion based on what we observe, and the inability of the religious to provide evidence for extra attributes assigned to their gods.

And of course there is nothing interesting in the conclusion, there is noting interesting in simply not believing in Yetis, or not believing aliens visit the earth. Atheism is simply not believing your claims, it has no doctrine of it's own, no dogma, no rules.

And there is a large overlap between atheism and naturalism, and in over 2000 years of scientific studies, whenever we have discovered something, it was never because a god did it. That is the relevance, and you can not simply dismiss it because you do not like it, or because you are afraid it may be the truth.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Religion as a tool remains vulnerable to be used and abused because it is a powerful source of wellbeing for most of humanity. The majority of people do not go around starting wars and politicizing it. A few do and i would guess it is the same percentage of the few who abuse any kind of power. On the other had religion is and has been in all of history a spiritual force for doing good for humanity, for stopping wars, stopping violence, advocating freedom, love and compassion, even for one’s enemies. Extraordinary people have accomplished extraordinary missions to change the world because of spiritual force.
Again you exaggerate the good, while ignoring the bad, and assigning the good done by religious people as if their religion was responsible for the good.

Quote:
Atheism is non-belief, a negative state of being. Such a thing cannot be a force for doing anything good.
Why not? Negative beliefs have provided benefits throughout history. Not believing false claims has led us to find out the truth about the way the world functions.

Quote:
It is a solitary lifeless endeavor with no energy to move anything other than a bit of bitterness and grievances.
And that bitterness, and those grievances are often shared by the religious. They too are against religious terrorism, religious bigotry, the lies of creationism, the attempt by some religious groups to influence politics. But they get a free pass simply because they are believers.

And you are ignoring the energy atheism obviously has, because you are fighting against that energy. Some of us are explaining why the arguments by theists are wrong, and an even smaller number are explaining why atheism may be correct based on what we currently know.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:27 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
It is interesting that atheists are not trusted when there are so few around. I don't know any. It kind of reminds me of when I was little and was told not to trust certain people who were a tiny minority in my community. One group was based on their beliefs. I only found out later as an adult that one of my classmates was part of this religion and it wasn't until he moved out of state to Florida. The other group was based on their skin color and we only had one student like this. She was very kind but kept her head down. I learned better as I got older to not hand over authority to those people who wanted us to be fearful/disgusted of these two groups and to not allow them to use religion/God as their authority. Not sure if this kind of thinking can be credited to atheism because people who believe in God know better.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:21 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Not misrepresented at all.
I understood it just fine...the issue is on your end.
She noted that the statement, "As atheists become more common, I predict two things will happen..."...is wrong on its face. And that is supported by data.
Ya see...there will be less people that are deficient in the common & normal ability to perceive God.
Less that are lacking, in that regard. And that's a good thing.
Actually an atheist, possibly other atheists as well, has boldly gone forth and lied on this forum about ‘the hard problem” of consciousness as being in the field of philosophy and NOT science. Why would they do that? It could just be just that they do not understand Science, their deity. There is no shame in that, but you cannot make stuff up.
Atheism, a denial of non-existence, is an unstable position to hold. If one does not believe in divinity all one needs to do is stop and get on with life. Why is this need to name it and then having to be in this negative position all the time? This must cause terrible tension. I have to rethink my position and declare this fundamental problem of Atheism is the bad and ugly.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:33 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
It is interesting that atheists are not trusted when there are so few around. I don't know any. It kind of reminds me of when I was little and was told not to trust certain people who were a tiny minority in my community. One group was based on their beliefs. I only found out later as an adult that one of my classmates was part of this religion and it wasn't until he moved out of state to Florida. The other group was based on their skin color and we only had one student like this. She was very kind but kept her head down. I learned better as I got older to not hand over authority to those people who wanted us to be fearful/disgusted of these two groups and to not allow them to use religion/God as their authority. Not sure if this kind of thinking can be credited to atheism because people who believe in God know better.
I am not sure trust is the issue here and what trust has to do with numbers. I know a few among the few in real life. They are nice enough until they start talking about their non-belief. And i know the way atheists here in the forum engage, and that is a whole new window on atheism. My opinion about atheism is based on the fundamental lack of logic in its stance and my conclusion that this is the cause of the difficulty in engaging with then in discussions of religion and spirituality.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:40 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Naturally your caustic, toxic spew misrepresentation of us as "Militant Anti-Religion Atheists with their caustic, toxic spew" has nothing to do with promoting hatred.

But well done for showing just how subconsciously afraid many of the religious actually are.
It is promoting hatred...because it is hatred.
And that hatred is expressed in no uncertain terms...epically and prolifically. The hatred veritably drips off the threads & posts.
I point to that hatred...and highlight it. Others are too...more than ever lately.
The world sees this...and that is why they feel the way they do toward you all.
There are reasonable and sensible forms of Atheistic Beliefs (note Arach Angle here)...but they are very few of them around these parts.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:49 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
I am not sure trust is the issue here and what trust has to do with numbers. I know a few among the few in real life. They are nice enough until they start talking about their non-belief. And i know the way atheists here in the forum engage, and that is a whole new window on atheism. My opinion about atheism is based on the fundamental lack of logic in its stance and my conclusion that this is the cause of the difficulty in engaging with then in discussions of religion and spirituality.
Anybody is nice enough until they expect to have some influence on the other person. Regarding the bolded, I have an acquaintance who calls himself a Christian who dislikes religion more than any person I have taken notice of in this subforum. The dislike was deeper than I could have imagined. He tells me one day he will explain things to me, but I think he knows I will challenge him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality