Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 10:20 AM

551 posts, read 194,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I removed the color from the word "knowing", as it is not in agreement with the bolded sentence, which suggests the seeking of complete darkness.
In Samadhi objects, including thought, drop away but not the knowing they are absent. That remains and is the same knowing of presence of objects.

Knowing is emphasized because it's not an intellectual knowing. That is what illumines both knowing and not knowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 10:48 AM

1,489 posts, read 484,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
It's only an analogy as it's beyond intellectual comprehension and therefore language. If That could be described in detail, that wouldn't be That.

It really can't be explained, only realized as the knowing of direct and raw experience/qualia.

In Samadhi it's the knowing of experience of absence.
Quote:
I removed the color from the word "knowing", as it is not in agreement with the bolded sentence, which suggests the seeking of complete darkness.
Quote:
In Samadhi objects, including thought, drop away but not the knowing they are absent. That remains and is the same knowing of presence of objects.

Knowing is emphasized because it's not an intellectual knowing. That is what illumines both knowing and not knowing.
In the post at the top, you claim "beyond intellectual comprehension and therefore language" placing whatever it is you are talking about above and beyond God's word, which includes God's First Spoken.

The Satan/serpents beguiling lie was that she would be as God, in following his word over and above God's word. Claiming God out of one side of his mouth while denying God out of the other side of his mouth, while at the same time declaring his word above all.

Old 05-29-2023, 11:45 AM

16,059 posts, read 7,079,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Now you are redefining the hard problem.

We can not measure or observe 'Consciousness', but we know it exists because ...?
We are aware that we are aware.

Old 05-29-2023, 12:17 PM

5,512 posts, read 7,353,736 times
I recently contracted a severe case of shingles on/in my right ear.

It has permanently damaged my vestibular system, and now requires physical therapy to regain balance. My hearing, and word comprehension has also been affected.
The shingles also caused bells palsy which damaged the 7th and 8th facial nerves.
Affecting taste, smell, and vision.
The physical therapy involves traing the brain to create different synapses to make up for the damage. In other words part of my brain stopped working, and other parts have to pick up the slack.

My senses and perception have technically changed.

But I'm the same person. The same individual. No difference at all ( except I'm an impatient and lousey patient ) in my self awareness.

I know I'm no mental vegetable, but my current reality has changed.Physiologically, the tools of perception have been damaged.

What's fascinating about this whole thing is my glimpse into the future, when all of me begins decaying more rapidly. Eventually nothing will work. But I'll still be me.

(PS: I have some great doctors and physical therapists. I've made major improvements and suspect at the end of the day I'll just have some hearing loss. Spent several hours this morning trimming palm trees. So I'm not that bad)

Old 05-29-2023, 12:45 PM

10,537 posts, read 6,182,449 times
Default Is Consciousness the Extraordinary Masquerading as the Ordinary?

Quote:
Am I conscious or Am I Consciousness Itself? That which is limited and subject to change or That which is without limit and changeless?

https://youtu.be/gQWEh9AC1K8?t=2137

Not sure I understand which question you are asking?

Your thread title seems to differ from the question in the OP which actually also seems to be a further two questions:

Is Consciousness the Extraordinary Masquerading as the Ordinary?

Am I conscious or Am I Consciousness Itself?

That which is limited and subject to change or That which is without limit and changeless?

Not sure how to respond. Are you just asking for our opinions on what we think consciousness is?

Old 05-29-2023, 12:55 PM

551 posts, read 194,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I recently contracted a severe case of shingles on/in my right ear.

It has permanently damaged my vestibular system, and now requires physical therapy to regain balance. My hearing, and word comprehension has also been affected.
The shingles also caused bells palsy which damaged the 7th and 8th facial nerves.
Affecting taste, smell, and vision.
The physical therapy involves traing the brain to create different synapses to make up for the damage. In other words part of my brain stopped working, and other parts have to pick up the slack.

My senses and perception have technically changed.

But I'm the same person. The same individual. No difference at all ( except I'm an impatient and lousey patient ) in my self awareness.

I know I'm no mental vegetable, but my current reality has changed.Physiologically, the tools of perception have been damaged.

What's fascinating about this whole thing is my glimpse into the future, when all of me begins decaying more rapidly. Eventually nothing will work. But I'll still be me.

(PS: I have some great doctors and physical therapists. I've made major improvements and suspect at the end of the day I'll just have some hearing loss. Spent several hours this morning trimming palm trees. So I'm not that bad)
First let me say here's to a speedy recovery!

Yes, that sense of "I"ness. Out of one side of my mouth I can honestly say I'm not the same man I was 5 years ago, a decade back, when I was a teenager, a child, an infant, yet out of the other side of my mouth I can honestly say I've always been here exactly as I am here now. Unchanged amidst all the changes of body and mind.

That sense of "I"ness is qualia. What knows it?

Old 05-29-2023, 01:06 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,202,765 times
Quote:
The Satan/serpents beguiling lie was that she would be as God, in following his word over and above God's word. Claiming God out of one side of his mouth while denying God out of the other side of his mouth, while at the same time declaring his word above all.
That is not what the text says.

The text was not written by the Hebrews. They merely copied a far older existing text and then like you they didn't understand it and did a hack job on it.

In the original text, Enki had an argument with Enlil.

Enki is the serpent god whose symbol was two snakes intertwined on a cross (the caduceus used to indicate medical professionals in our modern world) and who created humans (with the help of his half-sister Ninhursag and his son Ningishiddza who is also a serpent god).

Enlil is his half-brother and chief god who did not participate in the creation of humans and hated humans.

Enki wanted to give the humans he created knowledge to survive and prosper.

Enlil hated humans and didn't want them to survive and prosper which is also why when it was learned a celestial phenomenon would result in a massive tsunami that would wipe out most humans, Enlil forbade the gods to warn humans, lest some escape the tsunami. Enki who created and loved humans went behind Enlil's back and warned humans anyway.

Likewise, in spite of Enlil's protestations, Enki went behind his back and gave humans knowledge to survive and prosper.

Yahweh is not Enlil because in the Hebrew pantheon those are two separate distinct gods.

And, Yahweh is not Enki or Ningishiddza the serpent gods, and he's certainly not the female Ninhursag, so Yahweh did not create humans.

When we find older versions of the E and P texts, you will see where it says Enki, Ningishiddza, and Ninhursag created humans and then you can go sit in a corner and sulk.

Old 05-29-2023, 01:12 PM

5,512 posts, read 7,353,736 times
Quote:
First let me say here's to a speedy recovery!

Yes, that sense of "I"ness. Out of one side of my mouth I can honestly say I'm not the same man I was 5 years ago, a decade back, when I was a teenager, a child, an infant, yet out of the other side of my mouth I can honestly say I've always been here exactly as I am here now. Unchanged amidst all the changes of body and mind.

That sense of "I"ness is qualia. What knows it?
Ist thank you. I'm doing great, and hesitated to share.

I find this topic critical, in light of recent developments in AI and nano technology. I think many will be wrestling with these ideas for a long time to come.

What is becoming more and more clear to me on a scientific and terrestrial level, is how little we will ultimately rely on flesh, or that which is organic.

Could these developments be described optimistically, as a decrease in fleshly things, and an increase in " Spiritual " things??

Old 05-29-2023, 01:15 PM

1,489 posts, read 484,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That is not what the text says.

The text was not written by the Hebrews. They merely copied a far older existing text and then like you they didn't understand it and did a hack job on it.

In the original text, Enki had an argument with Enlil.

Enki is the serpent god whose symbol was two snakes intertwined on a cross (the caduceus used to indicate medical professionals in our modern world) and who created humans (with the help of his half-sister Ninhursag and his son Ningishiddza who is also a serpent god).

Enlil is his half-brother and chief god who did not participate in the creation of humans and hated humans.

Enki wanted to give the humans he created knowledge to survive and prosper.

Enlil hated humans and didn't want them to survive and prosper which is also why when it was learned a celestial phenomenon would result in a massive tsunami that would wipe out most humans, Enlil forbade the gods to warn humans, lest some escape the tsunami. Enki who created and loved humans went behind Enlil's back and warned humans anyway.

Likewise, in spite of Enlil's protestations, Enki went behind his back and gave humans knowledge to survive and prosper.

Yahweh is not Enlil because in the Hebrew pantheon those are two separate distinct gods.

And, Yahweh is not Enki or Ningishiddza the serpent gods, and he's certainly not the female Ninhursag, so Yahweh did not create humans.

When we find older versions of the E and P texts, you will see where it says Enki, Ningishiddza, and Ninhursag created humans and then you can go sit in a corner and sulk.
Concerning the bolded, what I wrote is contained within what is written in the Torah. You can accuse me of a hack job if you want. I stay within the framework of God's word and it makes perfect sense to me.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:13 PM

16,059 posts, read 7,079,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think of the qualia as the illumination. Ie With awareness I can understand what a table is used for but the table has no understanding of it's purpose.
With “Illumination” you are aware that you know what a table is. You know what a table is because you have seen it, understood what it is, and how it is used. Awareness/“Illumination” is how you know that you know this.
If you see a letter written in Chinese (and you cant read Chinese) you know you dont know Chinese, and that too is Awareness/Illumination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality