Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 07:17 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,012,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Ist thank you. I'm doing great, and hesitated to share.

I find this topic critical, in light of recent developments in AI and nano technology. I think many will be wrestling with these ideas for a long time to come.

What is becoming more and more clear to me on a scientific and terrestrial level, is how little we will ultimately rely on flesh, or that which is organic.

Could these developments be described optimistically, as a decrease in fleshly things, and an increase in " Spiritual " things??
Both “fleshly” things and “spiritual” things contain within them the same Substance/Existence. Both are names and forms, belong to the world, and are unreal. The Substance is the only Existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Not sure I understand which question you are asking?

Your thread title seems to differ from the question in the OP which actually also seems to be a further two questions:

Is Consciousness the Extraordinary Masquerading as the Ordinary?

Am I conscious or Am I Consciousness Itself?

That which is limited and subject to change or That which is without limit and changeless?

Not sure how to respond. Are you just asking for our opinions on what we think consciousness is?
I think the questions are meant to be pondered. Your opinion on consciousness will be based on what you already know, or think you know. The questions when analyzed carefully will reveal new ways of understanding the meaning of consciousness.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I recently contracted a severe case of shingles on/in my right ear.

It has permanently damaged my vestibular system, and now requires physical therapy to regain balance. My hearing, and word comprehension has also been affected.
The shingles also caused bells palsy which damaged the 7th and 8th facial nerves.
Affecting taste, smell, and vision.
The physical therapy involves traing the brain to create different synapses to make up for the damage. In other words part of my brain stopped working, and other parts have to pick up the slack.

My senses and perception have technically changed.

But I'm the same person. The same individual. No difference at all ( except I'm an impatient and lousey patient ) in my self awareness.

I know I'm no mental vegetable, but my current reality has changed.Physiologically, the tools of perception have been damaged.

What's fascinating about this whole thing is my glimpse into the future, when all of me begins decaying more rapidly. Eventually nothing will work. But I'll still be me.

(PS: I have some great doctors and physical therapists. I've made major improvements and suspect at the end of the day I'll just have some hearing loss. Spent several hours this morning trimming palm trees. So I'm not that bad)
Thank you for sharing this extraordinary insight. May i ask what kind of doctors did you consult to help you with your recovery? You may DM me if you can. I suspect someone I know who may have similar difficulties and loss of perception, but not due to shingles.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:45 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
How about this? What if consciousness is really a parasite and all of this is really just Ego trying to enshrine itself.

Old 05-30-2023, 02:00 AM

551 posts, read 190,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
How about this? What if consciousness is really a parasite and all of this is really just Ego trying to enshrine itself.
If I were to use the parasite analogy ego would be the parasite. In fact the psychological model within Samkhya (very old Indian school of philosophy) describes Ego (Ahamkara) as the appropriating function of mind. The I-Maker. I am this or that. It's mine, not yours. It makes Consciousness its own. I am conscious when in fact that "I" is simply a bundle of thoughts.

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy; 05-30-2023 at 02:30 AM..

Old 05-30-2023, 04:03 AM

551 posts, read 190,091 times
Quote:
Ist thank you. I'm doing great, and hesitated to share.

I find this topic critical, in light of recent developments in AI and nano technology. I think many will be wrestling with these ideas for a long time to come.

What is becoming more and more clear to me on a scientific and terrestrial level, is how little we will ultimately rely on flesh, or that which is organic.

Could these developments be described optimistically, as a decrease in fleshly things, and an increase in " Spiritual " things??
My take is neuroscience/psychology is not wrong when it states (localized) consciousness is illusion as is free will. Both are products of deterministic processes of the body-mind complex. Realizing that as in actual "lived experience" is Freedom, i.e. Liberation (from suffering).

Old 05-30-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
My take is neuroscience/psychology is not wrong when it states (localized) consciousness is illusion as is free will. Both are products of deterministic processes of the body-mind complex. Realizing that as in actual "lived experience" is Freedom, i.e. Liberation (from suffering).
Advaita calls it the state of ignorance, a state that has no origin and a natural state. Thus also difficult to overcome. Psychotherapy may help but what is required is Self-Inquiry.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:47 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
Much of this is above my pay grade.
But as my terrestrial self decays, perhaps I will know " me " better.

Old 05-30-2023, 12:56 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Why is consciousness extraordinary? It’s the result of functioning brains. It’s not magic.

Old 05-30-2023, 01:13 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Am I conscious or Am I Consciousness Itself? That which is limited and subject to change or That which is without limit and changeless?
You are the consciousness of the itself and self, between the ego of mind of matter that is infinite. At least, that's what Boojie said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality