Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:46 AM

6,957 posts, read 6,882,745 times

Advertisements

After all that bowing and scaping at the altar. All that going to church, praying for forgiveness, living a good humble life as a sinner.... What will be your reward in Heaven? Will you sit on a cloud and play a harp? Will you play with 21 pretty vestel virgins? Will you be in Bliss for the whole of the rest of existence?

Personally, I cannot imaging anything more boring than just sitting around not doing anything - whether it be in Bliss or playing my guitar. And... What of the Big Man Himself? What does he do? After all he has a number of Universes to run and they dont run themselves, you know. Oh.. of course I forgot. He has all those hard-working angels to run the show for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 06:53 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,403,163 times
I've wondered this myself. The bible makes it seem like it would be worshipping all the time. 24/7. Doesn't that sound like fun?! NOT. What arrogant being would put people through hell on earth, force them to live like he says they should, pretend to "love" him, and in the end make them worship forever and ever? Creepy.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
If I may paraphrase what O'Brien said to Winston Smith in 1984, "You know what is in Room 101. Everybody knows what is in Room 101. It's the worst thing in the world."

It'll be the same with heaven (assuming there is such a place). It'll be the best thing in the world, whatever you believe that to be. I myself would not like to sit around playing a harp for eternity, so I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have to do that in heaven.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,251,134 times
7 And ye will be three kinds:
8 (First) those on the right hand; what of those on the right hand?
9 And (then) those on the left hand; what of those on the left hand?
10 And the foremost in the race, the foremost in the race:
11 Those are they who will be brought nigh
12 In gardens of delight;
13 A multitude of those of old
14 And a few of those of later time.
15 On lined couches,
16 Reclining therein face to face.
17 There wait on them immortal youths
18 With bowls and ewers and a cup from a pure spring
19 Wherefrom they get no aching of the head nor any madness,
20 And fruit that they prefer
21 And flesh of fowls that they desire.
22 And (there are) fair ones with wide, lovely eyes,
23 Like unto hidden pearls,
24 Reward for what they used to do.
25 There hear they no vain speaking nor recrimination
26 (Naught) but the saying: Peace, (and again) Peace.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:49 AM

27 And those on the right hand; what of those on the right hand?
28 Among thornless lote-trees
29 And clustered plantains,
30 And spreading shade,
31 And water gushing,
32 And fruit in plenty
33 Neither out of reach nor yet forbidden,
34 And raised couches;
35 Lo! We have created them a (new) creation
36 And made them virgins,
37 Lovers, friends,
38 For those on the right hand;
39 A multitude of those of old
40 And a multitude of those of later time

Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 AM

41 And those on the left hand: What of those on the left hand?
42 In scorching wind and scalding water
43 And shadow of black smoke,
44 Neither cool nor refreshing.
45 Lo! heretofore they were effete with luxury
46 And used to persist in the awful sin.
47 And they used to say: When we are dead and have become dust and bones, shall we then, forsooth, be raised again,
48 And also our forefathers?
49 Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Lo! those of old and those of later time
50 Will all be brought together to the tryst of an appointed day.
51 Then lo! ye, the erring, the deniers,
52 Ye verily will eat of a tree called Zaqqum
53 And will fill your bellies therewith;
54 And thereon ye will drink of boiling water,
55 Drinking even as the camel drinketh.
56 This will be their welcome on the Day of Judgment.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 PM

589 posts, read 1,560,846 times
You think one who is given eternal life will spent eternity in boredom? That is not what is revealed in the Bible. You are turned off by the idea because you chose to believe half-truths you've heard from false teachers. The Bible never says the afterlife will be spent in heaven; it also never says one is immediately transported to heaven or "hell" after death. These are false beliefs propagated by some churches under the influence of the Great Deceiver.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:16 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
After all that bowing and scaping at the altar. All that going to church, praying for forgiveness, living a good humble life as a sinner.... What will be your reward in Heaven? Will you sit on a cloud and play a harp? Will you play with 21 pretty vestel virgins? Will you be in Bliss for the whole of the rest of existence?

Personally, I cannot imaging anything more boring than just sitting around not doing anything - whether it be in Bliss or playing my guitar. And... What of the Big Man Himself? What does he do? After all he has a number of Universes to run and they dont run themselves, you know. Oh.. of course I forgot. He has all those hard-working angels to run the show for him.
As a Christian, some of the reward is living a good life here on earth in peace with our maker.

But heaven is a busy and exciting place and is not the version that was painted in Cathedrals in the 12th Century. Heaven is not a place where you sit on clouds and strum harps. It is just like earth, in that there are people, houses, trees, mountains, rivers, valley, fauna and flora, just like hear on earth. There are things to do in heaven, but because of the eternity factor, you just don't feel like you have to do anything at all, or you can take as long as you want studying something or working on a project, since you never get tired or hungry. However, you can eat if you want and there are many wonderful things to eat.

Heaven is perfect.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 PM

433 posts, read 964,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
As a Christian, some of the reward is living a good life here on earth in peace with our maker.

But heaven is a busy and exciting place and is not the version that was painted in Cathedrals in the 12th Century. Heaven is not a place where you sit on clouds and strum harps. It is just like earth, in that there are people, houses, trees, mountains, rivers, valley, fauna and flora, just like hear on earth. There are things to do in heaven, but because of the eternity factor, you just don't feel like you have to do anything at all, or you can take as long as you want studying something or working on a project, since you never get tired or hungry. However, you can eat if you want and there are many wonderful things to eat.

Heaven is perfect.
awww...how sweet!!!!!! Nikk has an imagination as wonderful as a 6 year old! and to think that he's only 4!!!!!! amazing! simply stunning!
BRAVO Nikki! BRAAAAAAVO!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:59 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It'll be the best thing in the world, whatever you believe that to be. I myself would not like to sit around playing a harp for eternity, so I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have to do that in heaven.
For me heaven would be a Pizza Hut, inside of a Hooters, where college football had a proper play-off system that would be shown on big screen tv everyday of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality