Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
It's awefully convenient that homosexuality is considered contrary to this deity's 'purpose.' Why not getting off the recliner to stop bigotry or genocide. Homosexuality doesn't even hurt anyone. Why don't people trust 'god' when he supposedly told people in the NT that keeping slaves is okay.
cuz they think gay people are icky

Old 06-20-2008, 10:35 AM

It always amazes me when the protesters show up at our events with their signs and bull horns. Oh Yeah, like that's going to change our minds. Last year they were at the GLBT Film Festival here with their signs and their bullhorns. Many of the people at the festival took photos making out in front of them It was quite funny. Clearly the christians that go around telling us we need to be saved and protesting at our events don't really care if they "convert" any gay people (it's clearly a useless exercise). I think their motives must be to make themselves feel better or to try and quell their own homosexual leanings.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:36 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
Quote:
It's awefully convenient that homosexuality is considered contrary to this deity's 'purpose.' Why not getting off the recliner to stop bigotry or genocide. Homosexuality doesn't even hurt anyone. Why don't people trust 'god' when he supposedly told people in the NT that keeping slaves is okay.

I don't understand how this relates to the OP?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I don't understand how this relates to the OP?
Please, this whole thread has gone off topic

Old 06-20-2008, 10:46 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natewood3 View Post
If you do not know Greek, why are you familiar with this term?
I saw it on a website that said the greek term for homosexual would have been paiderasste and that if Paul had wanted to say homosexual he would have used that term. Since it appeared on the internet (and I don't believe everything on the internet) I posted it here for a meaning.

So.. Ya got me nate.. good one Inspector Clueso

Quote:
If you do not already know what the term means, how would you even know it is relevant to this discussion at all?
See my explanation.. right above.

Quote:
This term doesn't appear in the NT
Right.. or at least as far as I know it doesn't.

Quote:
...if you want to say it refers to "male homosexual,"
I don't want to say anything. I'm asking what the definition is. Do you know what the definition is?

Quote:
then you at least must disagree with TwiloMike and say that "homosexuality" was recognized at the time of the writing of the NT
I haven't read all of Twilo's posts. I'm still trying to get a definition of paiderasste. Remember when I said I didn't know Greek.. and was asking for that definition... once I get that I'll move on to Phase II. Operation "Fact Checking".

Old 06-20-2008, 11:07 AM

83 posts, read 318,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I saw it on a website that said the greek term for homosexual would have been paiderasste and that if Paul had wanted to say homosexual he would have used that term. Since it appeared on the internet (and I don't believe everything on the internet) I posted it here for a meaning.

I don't want to say anything. I'm asking what the definition is. Do you know what the definition is?

I haven't read all of Twilo's posts. I'm still trying to get a definition of paiderasste. Remember when I said I didn't know Greek.. and was asking for that definition... once I get that I'll move on to Phase II. Operation "Fact Checking".
I am familiar with Koine Greek, which is the Greek of the NT. Therefore, I only have studied the NT Greek. I am familiar with the word you are asking about, and I would assume that it would be used to refer to homosexuals in Jewish literature. It would seem that it may be word where we get the word "pederasty." In fact, it makes sense because some people claim the NT only condemns pederasty, not loving, homosexual relationships.

Obviously, you had to find out the word was relevant to the discussion somewhere...that is all I was wanting to know. I am not a Greek expert, so don't think I am claiming to be. I can read the NT with a little help here and there. I am still learning Greek right now, but I know enough to look at the text ad understand what is going on normally. Being the word under consideration is not in the NT, I have not learned it.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:11 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Why is it acceptable to 'god' that a straight couple should have a loving relationship and be to receive the enjoyment of sex, but it is wrong for a homosexual to have a loving relationship and receive the enjoyment of sex. Why can't a homosexual pursue a relationship and have the enjoyment that a heterosexual couple would from it. That seems ludicrous to me that it would be for two people to have sex when they love each other. I wonder what all of those people who oppose gay rights would say if that 'sin' were turned around and it would be considered a terrible 'sin' to live out the lifestyle of a heterosexual.
Actually one thing I find strange about the Bible is that romantic love is not emphasized much. It's usually all about the physical act and that seems counter to the overarching message of Love.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Obviously, you had to find out the word was relevant to the discussion somewhere...that is all I was wanting to know.
HOMOSEXUALITY IN THE NEW TESTAMENT: CONSERVATIVE AND LIBERAL VIEWS

I'm an open book. Just ask..

Old 06-20-2008, 11:53 AM

83 posts, read 318,037 times
bigthirsty,

I don't think that page dealt with Romans 1, which is where Paul explicitly condemns both male and female homosexuality...

Old 06-20-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
bigthirsty,

I don't think that page dealt with Romans 1, which is where Paul explicitly condemns both male and female homosexuality...
I would re-write everything.. but this pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/1872631-post334.html

It even covers Romans..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality