Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:48 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times

Advertisements

On another thread, the discussion of the Vatican Vault popped up in so much as what might be in there. Perhaps different books of the Bible that the early church founders didn't agree with and banished. Maybe conflicting stories or perhaps just a bunch of artifacts that have to do with Christianity in general. My question is this:

If the Bible is supposed to be the word of God, or in other words, the writers of the Bible were divinely inspired and they wrote other books that the Vatican vault is witholding, than how can we reconcile this? It would mean that the Bible is not "complete" in the sense of how it is circulated to millions upon millions of believers. On top of that, if the early Catholic Church took certain books out of the Bible, wouldn't that be an issue of free will instead of divine planning? Or, as I see it, the free will of man made God's word incomplete? Therefore, isn't it possible that Christians do not have the entire "word" of God laid out upon them?

Just musing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 06:00 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
I believe that the Bible is just the edited version.
Knowledge is power and the leaders of any faction generally don't like to part with their power.
But like most hackers say ( at least in the cyberpunk novels):
Information just wants to be free.
and
Information is a virus with no antidote.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:10 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
On another thread, the discussion of the Vatican Vault popped up in so much as what might be in there. Perhaps different books of the Bible that the early church founders didn't agree with and banished. Maybe conflicting stories or perhaps just a bunch of artifacts that have to do with Christianity in general. My question is this:

If the Bible is supposed to be the word of God, or in other words, the writers of the Bible were divinely inspired and they wrote other books that the Vatican vault is witholding, than how can we reconcile this? It would mean that the Bible is not "complete" in the sense of how it is circulated to millions upon millions of believers. On top of that, if the early Catholic Church took certain books out of the Bible, wouldn't that be an issue of free will instead of divine planning? Or, as I see it, the free will of man made God's word incomplete? Therefore, isn't it possible that Christians do not have the entire "word" of God laid out upon them?

Just musing.
Sounds like conspiracy theory to me... need proof for me to believe it...hard evidence... Not just a theory.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by skbs
Quote:
Sounds like conspiracy theory to me... need proof for me to believe it...hard evidence... Not just a theory.
When the Vatican vaults are inaccessible to the general public and / or that the documents within aren't free for the public proves that they are hiding something.
Burying the truth within a 'conspiracy' theory is a good way to make it look false.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Since the Catholic Church had a long history of book burning and censoring, especially in it's early days and long years of power, why would you think they kept anything that contradicted their doctrines? Those would have been destroyed long ago unless they were hidden away from the church and its many agents. They had no qualms at burning the great Library of Alexandria and murdering hundreds of thousands of pagans over relatively minor theological differences.

Nah, all they've got are the doctored books and a bunch of relics that were claimed to be the bones of saints but are usually the bones of animals. Oh, and a lot of very valuable paintings and gold.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tesaje
Quote:
Since the Catholic Church had a long history of book burning and censoring, especially in it's early days and long years of power, why would you think they kept anything that contradicted their doctrines?
For the same reason some men keep their little black book (with the numbers of all their conquests) even when they are married?

Besides, lying to other people is 1 thing, but lying to yourself can become disastrous, so it would be logical to assume that the truth is hidden somewhere.
Especially when you have been telling lies for 2000 years.
This is why just telling the truth is simpler; this way you do not have to memorize your lies.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Tesaje For the same reason some men keep their little black book (with the numbers of all their conquests) even when they are married?

Besides, lying to other people is 1 thing, but lying to yourself can become disastrous, so it would be logical to assume that the truth is hidden somewhere.
Especially when you have been telling lies for 2000 years.
This is why just telling the truth is simpler; this way you do not have to memorize your lies.
I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theories. It was all about establishing power. They would have nothing to gain and much to lose by secreting away evidence contrary to what they were trying to establish as truth. They had every incentive to destroy any such contradictory evidence and history shows us that that is in fact what they did quite brutally. We also know that they doctored many documents to provide supporting "evidence" for their story line. The history is full of frauds - blatant frauds. That is what is in there.

Contradictory evidence would have to come to light from other sources that they failed to find and destroy. They just keep what they have secret to keep the mystery and not let anyone see the junk and find that it is in fact animal bones and not human at all.

That and they don't want it known just how much $$ they really have in there.

Besides, people are incredibly poor at keeping secrets. They just gotta tell someone, then it's not a secret anymore. All the conspiracies make for a good novel, but not real life.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:25 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
In 1408 John Wycliff translated the Bible corrupted and heretical. To prevent this from happening again, it became illegal to make an "unauthorized" translation. In 1525, William Tyndale was killed and burned at the stake for translating the Bible into English. People may have found out that the church and Bible may be contradicting. About the same time, Martin Luther questioned the church's selling of indulgences (get out of Hell free card). As much as has been done, it's amazing that Christianity has survived, isn't it.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ESFP
Quote:
As much as has been done, it's amazing that Christianity has survived, isn't it.
Not if you believe that a fool is born every minute.

Originally Posted by Tesaje
Quote:
It was all about establishing power.
I agree that knowledge is power.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:03 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by skbsWhen the Vatican vaults are inaccessible to the general public and / or that the documents within aren't free for the public proves that they are hiding something.
Burying the truth within a 'conspiracy' theory is a good way to make it look false.
Another perspective is ..

In this day and age of fanatics, extremists and just plain idiots, I wouldn't make a 50 year old COMIC BOOK, let alone a 2000 year old scroll, or a 500 year old text.

If I keep my something in my safe, I am either "hiding something" or I am trying to keep it safe,... depending on one's perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality