Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:25 AM

553 posts, read 568,699 times

Advertisements

Tennessee man sues church, claiming spirit of God made him fall

Associated Press
10:34 AM EDT, July 11, 2008

KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - A man says he was so consumed by the spirit of God that he fell and hit his head while worshipping.

Now he wants a Tennessee church to pay $2.5 million for medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering.

Matt Lincoln says he is suing after the church's insurance company denied his claim for medical bills. The 57-year-old has had two surgeries since the June 2007 injury but still feels pain in his back and legs.

He says he was asking God to have ``a real experience'' while praying.

Lincoln says he has fallen from the force of the spirit before but has always been caught by someone.

Lawyers for the church say other congregants saw him on the floor laughing after his fall. They say he failed to look out for his own safety.

SOURCE (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/custom/fringe/sfl-711fall,0,5631643.story - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 01:16 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
Maybe he was under the influence of another kind of spirits. In any case I'll make a psychic prediction that he won't get a cent for his clumsiness.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:56 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,007 times
What an idiot.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:17 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,927,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
What an idiot.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:21 PM

Yeah spirits made him fall alright. 100 proof spirits.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:31 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,034 times
I've heard it all now (suing the church that is).

Old 07-12-2008, 04:19 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,021,362 times
Wonder if he is related to the woman who sued McDonald's because her coffee was too hot

Old 07-12-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Wonder if he is related to the woman who sued McDonald's because her coffee was too hot
Somebody actually did that? I know it was done on an episode of Seinfeld before, lol. I never knew somebody actually tried that.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:38 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
The posted story was pretty vague as to what happened but if what I'm thinking happened is true than he can legally sue for negligence.

What I'm getting at is that I noticed a little snippet in there where it is said that "People always caught him before when he fell".

Now, I've seen plenty of these churches where people get so "overwhelmed" with who knows what that they allegedly pass out and fall backwards. I've seen plenty of videos where preachers are saying "CAST OUT THE DEMONS!!" and all of a sudden they start falling to the ground. Interestingly enough, I always wonder why there is someone there to catch them. You'd think that God would cushion the fall. Anyway, I can see where if the guy was accustomed to this experience of having the demons cast out he would expect someone to catch him as usual. However, if someone didn't catch him than he could rightfully sue for negligence if he can convince someone that this is a practice common in the church and that he frequently did fall down as a result of being "overhwhelmed" by demons being cast out of his body.

Regardless of whether demons or spirits actually exist is not really important but rather if the practice in question at the church is consistent with this man's injury as a result. Something tells me that if the guy is willing to sue his own church (which I personally find hysterical) that he is probably not the type of guy who people particularly favor. I could easily see how someone could "forget to catch him". But, as crazy as it might sound, if that is the case then he may actually be able to sue the church for negligence.

Don't kill the messenger. I'm just saying that it's possible.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:46 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Somebody actually did that? I know it was done on an episode of Seinfeld before, lol. I never knew somebody actually tried that.
Yep, it was a really old woman who(smartly) placed the hot cup on her crotch while wearing spongy pants in a car. It took her a full 90 seconds to remove the spilled drink which gave her some pretty nasty burns.

She sued for something like 2.7 mil

Edit:Eh? nvm what I said, here is the wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_coffee_case

There was also those 40 people from here in the uk who sued because they liked to pour hot coffee down their throats as soon as they get it or that kid who sued a local hockey team and was awarded another kids trophy because losing had stressed him out or that one about the guy who sued a bar after getting drunk and jumping into a railway because the bar criminally supplied him with the booze he had requested.

Heck, I could make a book full of stupid litigations like these

Last edited by coosjoaquin; 07-12-2008 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: zzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality