Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:41 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,938,587 times

Advertisements

There are weird things in the bible, and clearly unscientific, but the hadith were Mo advises members of a desert clan to drink camel urine to cure disease takes the cake.

Now, an argument can be made that modern science uses mare urine to cure estrogen loss.

No it doesn't. It uses components in pregnant mare urine. Could there be a component in camel urine that has medicinal purposes?

Maybe, but if so, peer reviewed science has not seen it, and further, it would need to be extracted and concentrated. Just like Premarin is.

Advising to drink camel urine? Hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 10:24 PM

1,422 posts, read 953,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
There are weird things in the bible, and clearly unscientific, but the hadith were Mo advises members of a desert clan to drink camel urine to cure disease takes the cake.

Now, an argument can be made that modern science uses mare urine to cure estrogen loss.

No it doesn't. It uses components in pregnant mare urine. Could there be a component in camel urine that has medicinal purposes?

Maybe, but if so, peer reviewed science has not seen it, and further, it would need to be extracted and concentrated. Just like Premarin is.

Advising to drink camel urine? Hilarious.
I have to read this for myself! (please provide reference)

What about "The righteous will be glad when they are avenged, when they dip their feet in the blood of the wicked." Psalm 58:10

Perhaps this is a remedy for athlete foot afflicting the righteous?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:07 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,102,359 times
That's pretty absurd if people actually believe it, but to Islam's credit, Hadith's aren't necessarily all taken seriously. They're separate from the Koran. Some may be things Mohammad said, but other's are about as relevant as middle school gossip.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:44 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,890 times
It's camel urine and camel milk that was used to treat many ailments.

Why is it hilarious? Just because modern science does not believe in it, does not mean that it has no benefits and that people didn't know what they were talking about. Modern science also thinks using herbs and natural medicine is hilarious.

I remember years ago when acupuncture was not as widely used as it is now, and how people thought I was nuts when I used acupuncture to treat my pets. Years later, even conventional doctors have admitted that it works.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:28 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,116,877 times
I suppose it would be rediculous if it was a required practice of our worship and something we are commanded to do.

The Ahadith are not commandments, they are eyewitness accounts of things Muhammad(saws) said or did.

Drinking camels milk and urine has been used as a cure for many diseases among the desert dwellers of Arabia and North Africa.

Keep in mind water and medicinal plants are not very common in the region. People learned to use what is available.

As to why a witness found this as something important to preserve. My personal opinion is:

The probable significance that struck the witness as important is this is an indication that Islam did not forbid the use of traditional cures.-----To expand further to how it relates today, I see it as verification Islam does not forbid the use of medicine or medical treatment.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 05-20-2015 at 01:08 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
That's pretty absurd if people actually believe it, but to Islam's credit, Hadith's aren't necessarily all taken seriously. They're separate from the Koran. Some may be things Mohammad said, but other's are about as relevant as middle school gossip.
So it's like picking and choosing what to follow?

Yeah, that sounds like an Abrahamic religion.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I suppose it would be rediculous if it was a required practice of our worship and something we are commanded to do.

The Ahadith are not commandments, they are eyewitness accounts of things Muhammad(saws) said or did.
And used how often to define the faith? Wasn't it you who said that the hadiths were an integral part of understanding and following Islam? That it was not just the Koran one needed?

Quote:
Drinking camels milk and urine has been used as a cure for many diseases among the desert dwellers of Arabia and North Africa.

Keep in mind water and medicinal plants are not very common in the region. People learned to use what is available.

As to why a witness found this as something important to preserve. My personal opinion is:

The probable significance that struck the witness as important is this is an indication that Islam did not forbid the use of traditional cures.-----To expand further to how it relates today, I see it as verification Islam does not forbid the use of medicine or medical treatment.
Many folk medicines have long been debunked as superstitions. As said in the OP, modern science has not shown any component of camel urine to be useful ever medicinal treatment.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:16 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,116,877 times
Quote:
And used how often to define the faith? Wasn't it you who said that the hadiths were an integral part of understanding and following Islam? That it was not just the Koran one needed?

Many folk medicines have long been debunked as superstitions. As said in the OP, modern science has not shown any component of camel urine to be useful ever medicinal treatment.
Yes, the ahadith are an integral part of Islam as they relate what Muhammad(saws) did and avoided doing.

In other words we can see "We are permitted to do X under Y conditions" Not a command we are obligated to but an understanding we will not be punished if we do such.

The full hadith reads:

Narrated Abu Qilaba: "Anas said, "Some people of 'Ukl or 'Uraina tribe came to Medina and its climate did not suit them. So the Prophet ordered them to go to the herd of (Milch) camels and to drink their milk and urine (as a medicine). So they went as directed and after they became healthy, they killed the shepherd of the Prophet and drove away all the camels. The news reached the Prophet early in the morning and he sent (men) in their pursuit and they were captured and brought at noon. He then ordered to cut their hands and feet (and it was done), and their eyes were branded with heated pieces of iron, They were put in 'Al-Harra' and when they asked for water, no water was given to them." Abu Qilaba said, "Those people committed theft and murder, became infidels after embracing Islam and fought against Allah and His Apostle . (Sahih Bukhari, Ablutions (Wudu'), Volume 1, Book 4, Number 234)"

We do not know why Anas made mention of the drinking of Camel milk and urine. My guess is to show it is permitted to take medicine.
Anyhow it is not a command nor are we even told when we should use it as medicine.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:17 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,608,849 times
to OP

well, it's silly what you don't know. It is known some weird cures work. What's in the tinkle and what is the illness. A semi toxic system can kill an invader ... maybe. also it is know that they did some stupid things too.

so using it against the bible is silly.

Yes, reasonable people do get to choose. I am American but some of the laws make me sick to my stomach sometimes so your point about choosing is silly too.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:27 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,020,206 times
Quote:
So it's likepicking and choosing what to follow?

Yeah, that sounds like an Abrahamic religion.
Absolutely not. Please refer to my reply to your post in the Islam forum in regards to hadeeth sciences. There is no "picking and choosing" in regards to whether a hadeeth is truthful or not, we don't throw out a hadeeth based on contemporary norms or the current cultural climate. We accept a hadeeth based on the chain of transmission from which it was passed down (were the people who witnessed the Prophet (saw) known as truthful? Were there time gaps in the transmission? Etc...) and it's agreement/disagreement with the Quran.

In regards to drinking Camel Urine itself, there is some research being conducted in regards to it's health benefits and possible ability to prevent some cancers. None of the research has been conclusive as of yet but trials are being done. There's also some good points that Woodrow brought up and note within the Hadeeth the Prophet (saw) wasn't witnessed as saying "this is a medicine"... Anas (ra) simply noted that. And further it's not a command nor was it prescribed to the greater Muslim masses so perhaps it was prescribed just to give some nutrients/minerals to the folks whom were desperate? Remember this was 7th Century Arabia, they couldn't exactly go down to their local Kroger to pick up some jugs of water, milk and a multi-vitamin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality