Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:39 AM

599 posts, read 1,261,201 times

Advertisements

As a Christian, I believe that God is the author of truth, and that without Him, truth would not exist.

John 18:36-37
Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

"You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

So, how do you define truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,351 times
Truth is something I can prove with Scientific Method or document with factual history, any other is just theory, or myth.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:22 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
When I speak about God I am speaking on my faith, which cannot be proven, scientifically, factually or with the senses....When I speak about worldly things I want truth as can be tested through my five senses and by written facts..

Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,844,570 times
Truth is something accepted as true or real especially as part of a religion, it is what you want to believe in. Truth is a reflection of Your beliefs and your religion . It is how you look at things .To give a definition of a word truth is more difficult than you think . In my opinion there is no truth . what is real on one side is fake on the other.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 AM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Truth is something i know from the inside, truth resonates with something inside me as clear as ringing a bell.

Just like i have a built in "bullsh*t" meter in detecting BS in a person, situation, or circumstance; so too i rely on my "Truth" meter in navigating people, places, things, beliefs, and institutions.

I use my intuition, gut feel, and heart center in discerning Truth for myself.
I can never begin to know Truth for another person, that is not for me to ever decide or claim to know.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,038 times
Truth is truth, it is and anything against it is a lie.

Jesus was full of truth. It is written "and we beheld the only begotten of the Father full of grace and truth". Jesus is the truth. It is written, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no man come to the Father, but by me".

Truth is reality. It is those things that pertain to what is real. Truth is light.

John 8 says 31: "Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32: And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." So, knowing the truth means freedom. The truth comes from God.

Each person does not have their own truth, that does not make sense, because truth can not be two things at one time. There is only one truth. There is not a better truth, because truth is the highest it can be. So if I know the truth no one can say different to me because the truth stands on it's own and all others fall.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:34 AM

23 posts, read 44,815 times
Truth to me is your own truth, what is right inside of your heart. I believe personally that we have our own bond with our higher self. I cannot say, that there is a God sitting on a throne who punishes people to hell...as if I were made in his image, that is not something I would do to my own child, life is about learning and forgiving. That is not to say there is not something out there, for me its like this. If a math teacher were to introduce multiplication to me, and said 2x2 is 5, even though the answer is wrong, that doesnt mean math doesnt exist, I just have to find the right answer. Or another example, if my friend went to visit France and came back to tell me about it, but I have never been there, does that mean France doesnt exists? No, it means that I have never been there. I think if there was universal truths, which there probably are, but the time is not right for all of us to learn them, that we will reach them through our own experiences in life. If there was a God who wanted us all to run a race to see who is going to be saved and who isnt, he would have made us clones of each other, gave us the same unconditional love and spiritual upbringing in every life and home, but that is not so. So the truth, is whatever is your truth, that saves you from your own torment, pain and corruption. That is why you have your own life, your own brain, your own heart.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:39 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,386,164 times
Truth is reality.
I'm still trying to figure out what that is.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,237,991 times
The truth only hurts when you try to deny it.
The truth does not require any faith because it stands on its own merit.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
Truth according to Webster's New World Dictionary is defined as,1.a) being true;b) conformity with fact c) reality; actual existence d) correctness; accuracy 2. That which is true 3. An established fact. In religion, truth is whatever you want to believe and only you and no one else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality