Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:08 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times

Advertisements

Church of Body Modification: Teen Says Nose Ring Is Matter of Religion | ThirdAge

hmmmm......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 07:18 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Shenanigans. Just an excuse to make an end run around the rules.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:37 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times
I hear ya, but since this is a "religion" with a bona fide "minister" and the such, the school may have to resend the suspensions. In the end though, it's not's really my my call anyway, who I am to tell someone who or what they can worship? I believe in the Creator above, and am glad to be left alone with my family and close friends with our beliefs.....

Old 09-16-2010, 08:24 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
I hear ya, but since this is a "religion" with a bona fide "minister" and the such, the school may have to resend the suspensions. In the end though, it's not's really my my call anyway, who I am to tell someone who or what they can worship? I believe in the Creator above, and am glad to be left alone with my family and close friends with our beliefs.....
Is it officially recognized as a religion or not? If not, sorry, take out the ring. What it comes down to is that she's basically a self-injurer (like a cutter) who likes to hurt herself to feel better.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Well, then, I guess it's a good thing that the Church of Poo-on-a-Stick doesn't have many members.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:23 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Maybe I'm just an old codger who is out of the loop, but the recent tendency toward self-mutilation doesn't do much for me anyway, especially when it's supposedly an expression of religion. Puh-leeze.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Is it officially recognized as a religion or not? If not, sorry, take out the ring. What it comes down to is that she's basically a self-injurer (like a cutter) who likes to hurt herself to feel better.
If you're referring to Federal recognition, the Federal court system has a specific definition of what constitutes a 'religion' for legal purposes.

In the vast majority of cases, it has been stated that, to achieve Federal recognition (and thus be considered a 'church' in a legal sense), adherants must profess a 'sincere and bona fide religious belief'. That is, they have to prove that they are following what they consider to be a religion and that they are doing so with sincerity.

As the young lady in question is very publicly declaring that she is a member of the Church of Body Modification, and her mother supports her in that belief (or else her mother likely wouldn't have joined that selfsame church, I would submit that their beliefs are 'sincere and bona fide' as stipulated by the legal definition.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:43 AM

478 posts, read 772,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
That may or may not be true- please, don't judge her as having low self esteem or a "cutter". This is only about a nose ring. Plenty of people simply like to have piercings and tattoos- which I personally think are fine- but not at her age. This girl is FOURTEEN. And I'm sorry, but if I were a mother I would NEVER let my child do anything permanent to their body until they were at least 18. At LEAST! Even something as benign as a nose ring. I even disagree with parents who get their children's ears pierced before they are old enough to ask for having their ears pierced themselves. That **** is permanent!

As far as that being a "religion"? Hogwash. Not that it isn't- I'm just SO tired of USING that as an excuse and all the PC crap, people wanting to do things outside the parameters of what the rest of us have to abide by, simply because they deem they 'deserve' different treatment based on their "religion". With no disrespect to that church, come on- you still have to act in a manner that is appropriate and reasonable, you can't just "use" your religion to make allowances for esoteric behaviours. And I would say the same exact thing if she were Muslim, Buddhist, or anything else- NO wearing of nose rings if that's the rule. Period. Or, if she gets to wear one- then I'd say the caucasian atheist gets to wear one too! Fair is fair and when you use religion as a crutch- all liberties will soon go out the window. But then again, we're talking about a MINOR. So this should NOT be an issue- nose ring OUT! Or take the time and trouble to find a school that allows such things, that is their choice.

And though I have to say, honestly- I don't see why having a simple nose ring is really a problem at school; all I can guess is if they allow that, then what happens to the kid who wants to wear a septum piercing (other than that he/she will just look horrible and face the obvious consequences...)? It's the whole "well if we allow that, then what's next" thing....but since I'm a libertarian, half of me wants to say this isn't a big deal but, at the same time, I think my emotions are interfering and I just think a youngster has no business making any permanent changes to their body until they are of legal age to have said freedom to do so, and need follow whatever rules the school says she obey- annoying or not.

Again, if I were her Mum and my daughter went to a school that didn't allow nose rings, and I didn't feel like this particular issue was worth moving or changing schools- I'd tell my daughter she'd better get that thing out faster than poop through a goose. Of course I'd also tell her that when she is old enough, if she wants to pierce her entire face- and have her life be over- then, she is more than welcome to do as she pleases. It is her body. But I'd make damn sure she had a highschool education before she did it. I'd also tell her if she got her B.A. I'd take her to get said piercings...and if she got an M.A. or M.B.A.- I'll pay for the piercings. !

Old 09-17-2010, 04:26 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Maybe I'm just an old codger who is out of the loop, but the recent tendency toward self-mutilation doesn't do much for me anyway, especially when it's supposedly an expression of religion. Puh-leeze.
I must say I am turned off by body piercing (though at my age, the chicks are not going to be too worried about that) but I am wickedly amused when the 'respect for religion' card is played and the banker is caught in a cleft stick (if I may mix metaphors) and starts squealing.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:31 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
What worries me a bit...what's next? The Church of the Marijuana Joint? The Church of the Sagging Pants and Thug Attitude? The Church of the Bully?

Where does it stop?

I'm giving this country about three years and we are completely in the toilet. And I'm no doomsdayer by any means, but it's getting a little ridiculous what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality