Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 02:18 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times

Advertisements

The article talks about the work by researchers at Cornell Univ. researchers, who have identified 544 genes that have been shaped by positive selection (aka Darwinian selection) over millions of years of evolution. The researchers surveyed 16,500 human genes that are also found, with some differences, in at least two of the other five species (chimpanzees, Rhesus macaque, mice, rats, and dogs).
Evidence of evolutionary selection found in 544 genes

This page offers simple definitions of "positive selection" and the "neutral model":
Detecting Positive Selection, Thomas lab

Last edited by ParkTwain; 09-22-2008 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
This kind of goes along with a program regarding Neanderthals I watched last night. Scientific research is bridging the gap between Neanderthal, ancient man and modern man. Interesting program. I would not mind at all knowing I had Neanderthal genes racing through my veins. They were a tough and creative people.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
esselcue wrote:
Quote:
I would not mind at all knowing I had Neanderthal genes racing through my veins. They were a tough and creative people.
Yeah but that browridge, receding chin and short bulky stature all wrapped up in a mastadon jacket doesn't exactly make a guy a babe magnet.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:32 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Ahhh, but we women wouldn't care as long as he was "sensitive"

Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
esselcue wrote:

Yeah but that browridge, receding chin and short bulky stature all wrapped up in a mastadon jacket doesn't exactly make a guy a babe magnet.
Almost sounds like the both of you are describing Herman Göring

Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
This kind of goes along with a program regarding Neanderthals I watched last night. Scientific research is bridging the gap between Neanderthal, ancient man and modern man. Interesting program. I would not mind at all knowing I had Neanderthal genes racing through my veins. They were a tough and creative people.
Yes and they buried their dead in caves and made tools and were buried along side "modern" european skeletons (humans bury their dead with family). So, they weren't far a throw back as we like to think. We can't call them cave men because that would be politically incorrect. Think of those Modern people in Malta who dwell in caves, or Americans who have their homes made in the ground with grass growing over top.

I think that I had read years back there was a percentage of the genes of the people found in Neadertal, Germany in Modern day Europeans. So the idea is not new.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
The article talks about the work by researchers at Cornell Univ. researchers, who have identified 544 genes that have been shaped by positive selection (aka Darwinian selection) over millions of years of evolution. The researchers surveyed 16,500 human genes that are also found, with some differences, in at least two of the other five species (chimpanzees, Rhesus macaque, mice, rats, and dogs).
Evidence of evolutionary selection found in 544 genes

This page offers simple definitions of "positive selection" and the "neutral model":
Detecting Positive Selection, Thomas lab
This is of course making the assumption that these various animals and humans have a common ancestor. Where in fact they have a common designer... God (of course!).

Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
This is of course making the assumption that these various animals and humans have a common ancestor. Where in fact they have a common designer... God (of course!).
It is not an assumption Nikk. It's fact. When are you creationists going to face it and stop burying your heads in caves? I have a pug dog and his ancestor was a wolf. Picture in your mind....Pug....Wolf....Quite different I'd say. I know my pug was not evolved through natural selection. His evolution was forced by man not god, but the principle is the same.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:36 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
sanspeur wrote:
Quote:
It is not an assumption Nikk. It's fact. When are you creationists going to face it and stop burying your heads in caves? I have a pug dog and his ancestor was a wolf. Picture in your mind....Pug....Wolf....Quite different I'd say. I know my pug was not evolved through natural selection. His evolution was forced by man not god, but the principle is the same.
I agree completely and Nikk, shouldn't it be impossible for man to have created all of these different breeds of dogs, mostly in the last couple of hundred years? I mean it sounds as though you think a species is a clearly defined thing with boundaries that can't be breached and yet man has completely changed certain animals as well as agriculture over a few thousand years and many of the products you buy in the supermarket such as corn don't even exist in the wild. It can only exist if it's planted and cared for by humans, it's a human invention that began with a wild grass called teosinte that we have manipulated and completely changed over about a 7,000 year period. We usually just talk about evolution in animals but plants evolve too and the fact that we're able to fundamentally change the genetics of a plant makes it obvious that there's no such thing as a species with unchanging boundaries. If the creationists were correct about the nature of a species it would have been impossible for man to have bred different kinds of dogs and domesticated animals or to have altered the genetics of countless numbers of plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality