Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:08 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,925,016 times

Advertisements

Why is there a memorial to all of these people? A good share of them voluntarily killed themselves, essentially sacrificing themselves for their religious beliefs, so why a "victims" memorial when most of them were not victims? They chose their path, they knew what they were doing.

I can see there being a memorial to the innocents in the group who were forced to drink the deadly poison, or the members who had the common sense to not want to kill themselves, but why are the names of the suicides on the memorial too?

Jonestown memorial unveiled on 30th anniversary | National Headlines from AP | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/462/story/1046641.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,176,078 times
I was thinking about it myself Su, i was going to make a post about Jonestown massacre yesterday. It is sad what happened to those people regardless of reason they all died. I've read few interviews of survivors, interesting stuff.
They are still victims, victims of their own believes.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 AM

418 posts, read 708,707 times
Good point.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I was thinking about it myself Su, i was going to make a post about Jonestown massacre yesterday. It is sad what happened to those people regardless of reason they all died. I've read few interviews of survivors, interesting stuff.
They are still victims, victims of their own believes.
Sure, their beliefs led them to kill themselves. But why are they being memorialized for it? I can see putting up the names of the true victims, but not those adults who knowingly went to their deaths. Hell, if anything -- they should get a memorial as martyrs rather than victims.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,387,695 times
Memorials are for the living. Maybe you lost all respect for the humanity of the suicides the moment they drank the punch (btw, suicide=bad is a pretty Christian ideal) but their families probably see them as victims of a horrible crime. I see their point. Either way, why shouldn't the families of the dead have a memorial?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,023,341 times
It sounds like the monument was paid for and erected by relatives, friends and survivors of the Jonestown incident...which is not a whole lot different from putting a headstone on a grave, I suppose. It was obviously done with donations, not tax dollars, so I don't really see a problem. Although I do agree that many people died due to their own mistaken beliefs and ignorance... but Jones was the ultimate manipulator, he used the weakest of people to twist into his web and relied on their "faith" to support his visions of grandeur. Similar things occur in the guise of religion and God all the time. Sadly.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Memorials are for the living. Maybe you lost all respect for the humanity of the suicides the moment they drank the punch (btw, suicide=bad is a pretty Christian ideal) but their families probably see them as victims of a horrible crime. I see their point. Either way, why shouldn't the families of the dead have a memorial?
Actually, no. I didn't lose any respect for the suicides. They had the big brass cojones to follow through with what they believed.

What I'm saying is that they were not victims. They chose to believe what they believed. The ones I feel should have a memorial would be the ones that didn't want to die, but were forced to do so anyway.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
What I'm saying is that they were not victims.
In a way they were. If you want to punish their memories further then go ahead. But others have compassion even for the misguided.

Quote:
They chose to believe what they believed. The ones I feel should have a memorial would be the ones that didn't want to die, but were forced to do so anyway.
Naturally, I also have more sympathy for those who didn't want to die. But I have equal sympathy for the families of all the dead. Give 'em a damn memorial if they want one.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post

Naturally, I also have more sympathy for those who didn't want to die. But I have equal sympathy for the families of all the dead. Give 'em a damn memorial if they want one.
So by that logic, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold should be on the Columbine Memorial?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
So by that logic, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold should be on the Columbine Memorial?
Not sure - do you hate the Jonestown suicides as much as you hate the Columbine killers?
I don't so it doesn't seem logical. But, logically, I believe that the parents of Harris and Klebold deserve much compassion. It's unfortuante that they can't have it. I'll say again: Memorials are for the living. Dead people don't care about big slabs of granite with their names on it - no matter what they did in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality