Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM

605 posts, read 1,108,146 times

Advertisements

You're married man and both you and your wife are pro-life. Your wife is raped and is impregnated and wants to keep the child because of her beliefs.

Your feelings?

Females, do you consider his feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
I don't think a woman should be forced to have an abortion. That would be a difficult situation but she would be the person having the baby and I think you'd have to respect her decision.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:05 PM

605 posts, read 1,108,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't think a woman should be forced to have an abortion. That would be a difficult situation but she would be the person having the baby and I think you'd have to respect her decision.
Gotcha, but I would think it takes some serious nerves, love, ego aside setting for many men to actually deal with that initially I guess.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:11 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
Yeah, I agree, and I think that in many cases it would cause a breakup in the marriage. I don't think the idea of raising the child of the man who raped your wife would be very appealing to many men. It would be a terrible situation.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:55 PM

9 posts, read 13,751 times
As a female I would have an abortion. No question about it. While I understand and respect the pro-life stance I feel it is my body and my choice. I certainly wouldn't consider the rapists rights in the matter and if I had a husband I think that choice would be better for our relationship.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,862 times
I see a much wider question here.
I personally am a freedom of choice person and as such have no problem with abortion. With that out of the way I look to legal issues and responsibility for the child. Montana thinks it should be just the woman choice. I question in the event of a divorce, which is common in marriages with high stress, as well as higher in religious relationships as apposed to atheist relationships, there arise the question of who would be responsible for the child. If the husband has no say in the abortion issue how can the husband have the responsibility of the child after a divorce?
Bottom issue after a child is born is the child, but without a buy in from both husband and wife I just don’t see how one can be burden with the desire of the other.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
I hate the labels.

I consider myself "Pro Life". Like what is the alternative? "Pro-Death"?

Labels are made to add weight to an image.

I do support abortion, and a woman's right to choose abortion if she wishes.

A man is not carrying the fetus, and like in your case the bio-father was a rapist who is now gone from the picture. So it does lessen any argument for bio-fathers having a say in what a woman does with her body.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 AM

546 posts, read 1,679,297 times
Just because a person may feel they are pro life does not mean they always want to keep the child after. Wouldnt the most simple solution in this hypothetical question be to go through the pregnancy and then give the child up for adoption? That way all parties are somewhat comforted.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 AM

783 posts, read 1,326,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
You're married man and both you and your wife are pro-life. Your wife is raped and is impregnated and wants to keep the child because of her beliefs.
Are the husband and wife equally yoked?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:21 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Dawn View Post
As a female I would have an abortion. No question about it. While I understand and respect the pro-life stance I feel it is my body and my choice. I certainly wouldn't consider the rapists rights in the matter and if I had a husband I think that choice would be better for our relationship.
I agree 100%...good post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality