Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,348,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
You think so? Okay, lets start with biology.

Macroevolution currently depends on the theory of Universal Common Decent. Universal common descent is the hypothesis that all living, terrestrial organisms are genealogically related. All existing species originated gradually by biological, reproductive processes on a geological timescale. This theory depends on another theory known as Universal Genetic Code, which is a theory that all life shares virtually the same genetic code.

Do you believe their hypothesis to be an undisputable fact?
It's obviously not undisputable fact. But it's a better theory than anything mankind has put together to date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 PM

783 posts, read 1,327,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I put my faith in the pros.
You might consider putting your faith in the creator rather than the creation. Putting your faith in the creation leads to religion. You have said you’ve been down that road and didn’t like it. Don’t make the same mistake again.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 PM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times
When are you guys going to admit that all the evidence is on the side of science, and all you have is a bible and a lot of wishful thinking. Why do you prefer to live in the dark ages? I just don't get it.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
You might consider putting your faith in the creator rather than the creation. Putting your faith in the creation leads to religion. You have said you’ve been down that road and didn’t like it. Don’t make the same mistake again.
Ha...well I was being a bit facetious.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
It's obviously not undisputable fact. But it's a better theory than anything mankind has put together to date.
If it is not undisputable then it should be researched further through genuine honest inquire using the scientific method to better understand and check the process. Or, should it be taught as if it is fact? Which process will lead us to the facts?

Your comments indicate that you are not familiar with current findings in microbiology and the human genome project. Much has happened since the 1970’s & 80’s that indicates there are vastly different genetic codes that lends serious doubt to the two theories of Universal Common Decent and Universal Genetic Code. The plot thickens.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
When are you guys going to admit that all the evidence is on the side of science, and all you have is a bible and a lot of wishful thinking. Why do you prefer to live in the dark ages? I just don't get it.
Sanspeur, you have mentioned the Bible more than anyone else. Why do you peruse these discussions since the Bible and Christianity intimidates you so much?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Ha...well I was being a bit facetious.
I know! You were easy to evaluate.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
If it is not undisputable then it should be researched further through genuine honest inquire using the scientific method to better understand and check the process. Or, should it be taught as if it is fact? Which process will lead us to the facts?

Your comments indicate that you are not familiar with current findings in microbiology and the human genome project. Much has happened since the 1970’s & 80’s that indicates there are vastly different genetic codes that lends serious doubt to the two theories of Universal Common Decent and Universal Genetic Code. The plot thickens.

You're right, I am not up-to-date on the current findings of microbiology, nor am I a scientist. However, I have my doubts that you are as well. Regardless, you know what I meant with my statement.

As I've stated in earlier posts, there are many scientific theories taught in schools, yet the religious isolate evolution as some fringe scientific idea because it shakes the foundation of their belief system.

If we are going to advance as a species, then we will need to teach our children the theories where there is a greater concensus in the scientific community. It will then be our children's job to refine and improve upon these ideas and maybe even disprove them.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I know! You were easy to evaluate.

I'll try a more subtle approach next time

Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
If we are going to advance as a species, then we will need to teach our children the theories where there is a greater concensus in the scientific community.
Consensus, in the context in which you are referring to it, is not a function of the scientific method.

The truth is that consensus does not establish fact it simply establishes popularity. Contrary to popular belief popularity isn’t always correct and it has the potential to make bad ideas worse by stifling innovation based on genuine honest inquiry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality