Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
... same impressions, commented with schoolyard memories:

Lasciate ogni speranza ...!
voi ch'entrate . . . here at C-D???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
voi ch'entrate . . . here at C-D???

oh good morning, sir

yep... err... nope.... err...

here it is

YouTube - The Great Pyramid and the Human Brain

Old 01-20-2009, 07:14 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I am a parent (and grandparent) and I would never say that. Children are evil? What blather! You see what you want to see in people, we all do...obviously you choose to see evil. Not all of us do. You'd best look in a mirror.

Have you never seen a child throw a temper tantrum? People have to be taught to be good.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,838,689 times
My answer was: people when they teach also have an ethics for understanding how to teach. IN the whole I thought it might be a subjective knowledge about the goodness. Failure to teach others may enlighten us to know after-all that we were over-bearing, were interant in the course of the lesson. Knowing people GOOD is all about reasoning with the child.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:30 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Have you never seen a child throw a temper tantrum? People have to be taught to be good.
One of my kids had such a temper as a child that he once threw a toy through his door. It had nothing whatsoever with being evil. It had to do with the natural development of emotions and self-discipline, which is what we, as humans, all must learn. He grew up into a fine man, by the way.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
One of my kids had such a temper as a child that he once threw a toy through his door. It had nothing whatsoever with being evil. It had to do with the natural development of emotions and self-discipline, which is what we, as humans, all must learn. He grew up into a fine man, by the way.
What are you basing that on? Were you able to read what was written on his heart?

Even as adults, we are basically selfish, evil people in our natural state. We just learn to control the urges and desires. We're taught that certain behaviors are not acceptable.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
What are you basing that on? Were you able to read what was written on his heart?

Even as adults, we are basically selfish, evil people in our natural state. We just learn to control the urges and desires. We're taught that certain behaviors are not acceptable.
A person is the sum of his or her actions, so, yes, I knew his heart pretty well. I say "knew" because he was killed nine years ago by a drunk driver...but I am very sure he was a fine, young man, and I do not need to explain to you why I know this. There are many, many factors involved in how he lived his life...how UNselfish he was, how he gave of his time and money to help others, how he raised his son (who is now 17 and also a fine young man!)

I am not saying humans are all light and goodness, we are neither goodness nor evil. We are the sum of our emotions and our decisions, how we treat others, how truthful we are. Christians believe we are as evil as our thoughts but I just do not accept that. A person who has evil thoughts and acts on them is certainly judged on that behavior...but most of us have something called a "conscience" and that is what keeps the "evil" acts at bay. You believe in Orginal Sin. I do not, I think that is absurd. We are born human...it's as simple as that.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
A person is the sum of his or her actions, so, yes, I knew his heart pretty well. I say "knew" because he was killed nine years ago by a drunk driver...but I am very sure he was a fine, young man, and I do not need to explain to you why I know this. There are many, many factors involved in how he lived his life...how UNselfish he was, how he gave of his time and money to help others, how he raised his son (who is now 17 and also a fine young man!)

I am not saying humans are all light and goodness, we are neither goodness nor evil. We are the sum of our emotions and our decisions, how we treat others, how truthful we are. Christians believe we are as evil as our thoughts but I just do not accept that. A person who has evil thoughts and acts on them is certainly judged on that behavior...but most of us have something called a "conscience" and that is what keeps the "evil" acts at bay. You believe in Orginal Sin. I do not, I think that is absurd. We are born human...it's as simple as that.

I'm truly sorry for your loss. As a parent of 2 beautiful little girls that I love more than anything on earth, it's something I hope to never face. My intent is not to speak bad of your son's memory.

My point though, is that left to our own devices, mankind will not treat each other well. Ever read Lord of the Flies? I had to when I was I think a freshman in high school. Good book. A nice bunch of young men turned into savages. A good look at our prison system will confirm the same thing with adults.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I'm truly sorry for your loss. As a parent of 2 beautiful little girls that I love more than anything on earth, it's something I hope to never face. My intent is not to speak bad of your son's memory.

My point though, is that left to our own devices, mankind will not treat each other well. Ever read Lord of the Flies? I had to when I was I think a freshman in high school. Good book. A nice bunch of young men turned into savages. A good look at our prison system will confirm the same thing with adults.

Yup, I have read Lord of The Flies. It is a novel (fiction)...not a historical event, and those boys were forced into a sitiation of survival. But I disagree that if we are left to our own devices we will turn to the Dark Side. Some will, most will not. That's human nature. There will always be some who act on their greed and anger and lust...but most humans will not (if given the option and not placed in a position of survival).

Old 01-20-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Yup, I have read Lord of The Flies. It is a novel (fiction)...not a historical event, and those boys were forced into a sitiation of survival. But I disagree that if we are left to our own devices we will turn to the Dark Side. Some will, most will not. That's human nature. There will always be some who act on their greed and anger and lust...but most humans will not (if given the option and not placed in a position of survival).

And that would explain why you likely see little need for a savior. I don't mean that in a mean-spirited sort of way. It's just that if you think man is basically good, he doesn't need to be saved from his sin. So it's understandable why you and I view salvation/sin differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality