Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 08:05 AM

23,162 posts, read 10,455,314 times

Advertisements

Paul was always angry because his pupils were not learning at all, when they should have been teachers, they were babies.

Hebrews.

Warning against Drifting Away
11Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing. 12For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 13For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

The idea is not simply to believe but that you study like there is no tomorrow.

Christ slowly being formed in a person, not all who claim to be born again are born again. Christ isn't suddenly formed in everyone who claims they believe.

My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you, 20I desire to be present with you now, and to change my voice; for I stand in doubt of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
In my world, love brings the best rewards. What reward are you hoping for, Hannibal? (Translate it from bible code to normal speech, please. )

Love does not bring reward, just because people believe in Jesus doesn't mean that much. The first disciples went out in a fever to obtain a better resurrection because they knew the facts of resurrection and how everyone will not be the same.

Tortured just to obtain a better resurrection.

The Faith of Many
…34quenched the raging fire, and escaped the edge of the sword; who gained strength from weakness, became mighty in battle, and put foreign armies to flight. 35Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused their release, so that they might gain a better resurrection. 36Still others endured mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment.…

Love alone puts you in the outer court of weeping and gnashing of teeth because people see and know what they missed out on just because they did not seek the knowledge of Christ or give anything up for Christ. Following Christ is not an easy task even if many claim it is, it is not.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:27 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Love does not bring reward, just because people believe in Jesus doesn't mean that much. The first disciples went out in a fever to obtain a better resurrection because they knew the facts of resurrection and how everyone will not be the same.

Tortured just to obtain a better resurrection.

The Faith of Many
…34quenched the raging fire, and escaped the edge of the sword; who gained strength from weakness, became mighty in battle, and put foreign armies to flight. 35Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused their release, so that they might gain a better resurrection. 36Still others endured mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment.…

Love alone puts you in the outer court of weeping and gnashing of teeth because people see and know what they missed out on just because they did not seek the knowledge of Christ or give anything up for Christ. Following Christ is not an easy task even if many claim it is, it is not.
Well, I'm not claiming that believing in Jesus benefits anyone. If I thought it did, I would believe in him. And you do know that when I talk about love bringing reward, I'm not talking about loving Jesus, right? (Unless that's important to you, then by all means, love him.)

I'm sorry if in your experience, love has not brought reward. It has in mine. As far as knowledge, if you're a Christian, then I guess you're aware that your bible says that those who love, know God.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Paul was always angry because his pupils were not learning at all, when they should have been teachers, they were babies.

Hebrews.

Warning against Drifting Away
11Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing. 12For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 13For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

The idea is not simply to believe but that you study like there is no tomorrow.

Christ slowly being formed in a person, not all who claim to be born again are born again. Christ isn't suddenly formed in everyone who claims they believe.

My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you, 20I desire to be present with you now, and to change my voice; for I stand in doubt of you.

If "Christ is formed" in anyone, I highly doubt it came through studying a book. If the very nature of God is love, then being conformed to that nature is what matters. The best a book can do is point that out.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:41 AM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
If "Christ is formed" in anyone, I highly doubt it came through studying a book. If the very nature of God is love, then being conformed to that nature is what matters. The best a book can do is point that out.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm not claiming that believing in Jesus benefits anyone. If I thought it did, I would believe in him. And you do know that when I talk about love bringing reward, I'm not talking about loving Jesus, right? (Unless that's important to you, then by all means, love him.)

I'm sorry if in your experience, love has not brought reward. It has in mine. As far as knowledge, if you're a Christian, then I guess you're aware that your bible says that those who love, know God.
There is nothing wrong with just believing in Jesus and having your salvation, you have your salvation and it benefits you to believe in Jesus.

AGAIN, Salvation alone is salvation, and the reward I speak about is after you die.

The difference between salvation and reward is shown in very many places, not everyone is the same, there is salvation and there are those who have salvation and reward.

1 Corinthians 3

Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Saved, but only as one who does through a fire, the people who obtained reward will not burn and die in the flames.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Actions always speak louder than what you say you believe, but you have to study to learn what actions you must take. I could tell everyone what they should do, but none would believe me unless they learned it themselves.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Actions always speak louder than what you say you believe, but you have to study to learn what actions you must take. I could tell everyone what they should do, but none would believe me unless they learned it themselves.
I would agree with that, to a degree. For instance, when I became a parent, I read a lot of parenting books. I studied. A lot. But there was a ton of conflicting ideas in all those books. As it turned out, I found the best thing to study was not books, but my kids. My little living epistles taught me so much more than any book could about how to love them There aren't hard and fast rules to follow, in my experience.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:

The reward I speak about is after you die.

Saved, but only as one who does through a fire, the people who obtained reward will not burn and die in the flames.
Did you ever tell me what specific rewards you are seeking? I don't recall if you did, sorry. Is it just the reward of not being "burned"? And what does being burned mean to you in plain speak?

Old 06-11-2016, 12:33 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, thanks. I told them I could do some editing work at home on Monday if they want. The three people in the room looked at one another and then back at me. I said, "WHAT?" They said, "We can't ask you to work on Shabbos or a Jewish holiday or festival day. We can't even say it's ok if you want to work. "

I said, "OK, then I might DECIDE to work on Monday."
What?...No Shabbos goy?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality