Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:36 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times

Advertisements

OK I have a question here
Why do we need God ?

It seems to me that the definition of God needs to be established, so obviously, since we are in America let's for this argument only go with the Abrahamic God (Judaeism, Christian , Islamic God) For the sake of this argument.

My point is this, and I welcome any intellectual and scholarly input:

It has been suggested that here in the 21st Century, we don't need God. We are, after all, more enlightened and of a greater Moral caliber than the figure of Jesus Christ, who was pro-slavery, somewhat chauvanistic and set in a tradition of a sacrifice/worship religion; We need not the unity under one system that Mohammed preached, nor do we need the Old Testament's (And Koran's) God of war and prejudice to govern our desicions.
It seems that we have already surpassed thses morals and are held back now only by the limits of religion, mainly of the three mentioned beforehand.
In our century, logic and reason are ours for the taking. Medical science has extended our lives and the quality therein, something religion failed to do over the past 2000 years. Chemistry and Biology have shown our origins and that they are not gounded in myth but in a slow process of change and development that is not limited to our own planet.
We have reached out to neighboring bodies in space; we have even sustained human life high above our atmosphere, in what was once called "The heavens" thought to be only the domain of God....
It seems like morally and scientifically, we don't really "need" God. In fact, it seems like if anything we either need a "new God", one that fits the 21t century instead of the first, or we need to totally rethink just how good this "God" is for our society......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 07:35 PM

140 posts, read 205,060 times
Do: involuntary brainwashing through indoctrinations, mislead, false hopes, coercion/intimidation (e.g. stories of hell), ...

Do not: human nature, being logical, life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, ...

Old 02-06-2009, 08:26 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
The most basic question from my perspective is not whether or not we need a God but whether or not there actually is one. If there isn't one to begin with it doesn't matter whether we need one or not because there isn't one available. I don't believe there is one and I don't believe we need one.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,771 times
You NEED a substittute for God; at the Constitution under the Clinton administration it was called Greed. Why greed is so adequate is like why the human condition is based on furnished cold and thoughtless values when it comes to tolerating our neighbours, and helping them out.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
tgnostic wrote:
Quote:
You NEED a substittute for God
I don't see it that way. In my opinion God is just a man made concept that doesn't exist in the real world so why would you need something as a substitute for something that doesn't exist in the first place? If you're really addressing morality and ethical behavior I find that atheists as a whole are not lacking in a desire to help their fellow man. Many religious people try to suggest that atheists have no foundation for their moral framework but I know that personally I have a strong sense of ethics and don't need to read instructions out of a book that tell me what is right and wrong.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:17 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
We need him because he created us.

And we're going to burn in hell regardless of whether we believe in him or not based on the things we've done wrong...if we don't have a savior to save us from it.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
We need him because he created us.

And we're going to burn in hell regardless of whether we believe in him or not based on the things we've done wrong...if we don't have a savior to save us from it.
Let me point out, with all due respect, that there is no such thing as hell. That has been proven over and over to be an concept created and evolved by the early Christians as a scare tactic to try to trick people into following or conforming (or whatever synonym you want to use). Scientifically, metaphysically and even along the lines of evolved religions, there is no such place as hell. It is a facribated myth, there to scare you into conforming.
SO put fear aside for a moment and tell me why do we need God?
All good evidence points so far that we don't. We can teach our children to uphold and respect the sanctity of all human life without forcing religion or God upon them......
And since Heaven and Hell are not real places, that negates the fear of eternal torture (What kind of a good, lovingdiety would torture people just for not believing or playing his egotistical games?) Such a God would be inherantly Evil, and again, we don;t need an Evil God.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
We are, after all, more enlightened and of a greater Moral caliber than the figure of Jesus Christ, who was pro-slavery, somewhat chauvanistic
Do what? That's not the Jesus I read about in the Bible.

I don't mind you holding your own values about faith and how to run your life...but please get the facts straight before totally misrepesenting someone else's deity.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:32 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Let me point out, with all due respect, that there is no such thing as hell. That has been proven over and over to be an concept created and evolved by the early Christians as a scare tactic to try to trick people into following or conforming (or whatever synonym you want to use). Scientifically, metaphysically and even along the lines of evolved religions, there is no such place as hell. It is a facribated myth, there to scare you into conforming.
SO put fear aside for a moment and tell me why do we need God?
All good evidence points so far that we don't. We can teach our children to uphold and respect the sanctity of all human life without forcing religion or God upon them......
And since Heaven and Hell are not real places, that negates the fear of eternal torture (What kind of a good, lovingdiety would torture people just for not believing or playing his egotistical games?) Such a God would be inherantly Evil, and again, we don;t need an Evil God.

1. You don't need bold print. We can read regular font easily enough.

2. It's not a myth, it has not been disproven, and the Bible is clear that there is such a thing.

3. If you sleep better at night denying the existence of hell...good for you. I can deny the law of gravity all I want but it won't change anything if I do a swan dive off of a 40 floor building.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:46 AM

Last time I checked, Gravity was a scientifically provable theory. Gravity is real. Hell, not so much.

Hell was not It never has been proven. If it exists (in/of the earth) like some Biblical myths state, then where is it?
Hell is not a real place, only a myth.
Proof again? none scientific to prove hell, but evolutionary mythology disproves it (as much as a negative can be proven, which again is not ever fully)

BUT The concept of it was traceable, evolvable.
We see writings in the Egyptian and even in the Greek Mythology which speak of an underworld, (Hence, it physically resides beneath our feet, which is scientifically impossible) Also we know of the contributions of Egyptian mythology to Christian mythos and the influences of Roman ideals We also trace and show an obsession with hell evolving more in the early dark ages, but again a creation of man not of god or gods.

I would ask again, why do we needa god that even creates hell, why would we need a god like that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality