Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:02 AM

140 posts, read 205,204 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that religion is all about "hell", "sins", ... so, what's good about religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 05:15 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,266,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
It seems to me that religion is all about "hell", "sins", ... so, what's good about religion?
the religion is all about how to save yourself from hell by not to commit a sin
so what is good about relegion entirely for all the world is that it preach people to morality and rightious deeds

Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 AM

7,599 posts, read 6,101,988 times
The Bad outweighs the good
Religion is about money, power, conformity, the group psychology, the gang mentality, religion is about social status, socializing, hanging out with people, meeting people, making friends, some hallow, some real, most "fair weather" though; religion is about conforming to a set of man made rules, ideas, dogmas and morals.....

I guess if a person is insecure, negatice, homophobic, uneducated(unintellegent) and lacks any moral compass to begin with, then religion might be a good start for him/her.....

Spirituality on the other hand, is about having a relationship with your god......
Religion is having a relationship with someone else's god.....

Thus, since the bad in religion outweighs the good in spirituality, I cannot answer the question because there is nothing really to answer....Aside from having something to do with someone else once a week in a ritual, I cannot really find anything useful for religion...BUT as fear and negativity are the motivating factors (At least in American Christianity) it is easy to spot the negatives in religion.
And like I said before, CHristians were behind the IRA, the Abortion clinic bombings, the KKK, the Olympic bombings, the list goes one...... Great legacy for religion, eh mate??

Old 02-15-2009, 07:27 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,526,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
The Bad outweighs the good
Religion is about money, power, conformity, the group psychology, the gang mentality, religion is about social status, socializing, hanging out with people, meeting people, making friends, some hallow, some real, most "fair weather" though; religion is about conforming to a set of man made rules, ideas, dogmas and morals.....

I guess if a person is insecure, negatice, homophobic, uneducated(unintellegent) and lacks any moral compass to begin with, then religion might be a good start for him/her.....

Spirituality on the other hand, is about having a relationship with your god......
Religion is having a relationship with someone else's god.....

Thus, since the bad in religion outweighs the good in spirituality, I cannot answer the question because there is nothing really to answer....Aside from having something to do with someone else once a week in a ritual, I cannot really find anything useful for religion...BUT as fear and negativity are the motivating factors (At least in American Christianity) it is easy to spot the negatives in religion.
And like I said before, CHristians were behind the IRA, the Abortion clinic bombings, the KKK, the Olympic bombings, the list goes one...... Great legacy for religion, eh mate??

for those anywhere on this planet having experienced the ruins of the illusion foisted upon them: you either go bunkers (suicide not excluded) or you go seeking a spiritual memory, either within yourself or left in documents of mystics (all having been "persecuted" one way or the other..).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Gnosticism

(continent and culture as a personal heritage ... sharing with others, should there be any interest ...)

Last edited by effie g-tad; 02-15-2009 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: last straw of hope

Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,532,554 times
In my opinion there is very little good in "religion"..Man created religion because of his own self righteousness and desire to be honored and set apart from the simplicity of belief, faith and trust in God.. so he turned from God/creator and developed false doctrines, rituals and rules to enhance, entertain and draw people into his sins of lies...Humans seem to always be drawn to a saviour or a group they can see, touch, feel and follow rather than communicating with the God who placed a part of himself within each of us to to help us re-turn to Him if we are willing ..
jmho..

Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,020,672 times
There's nothing beneficial about religion. While religion may help some individuals, the concept of supernaturalism offers nothing good that would essentially benefit someone.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:36 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,415,966 times
Quote:
Nothing, but a personal relationship with Jesus.....priceless.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:51 PM

63,908 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
In my opinion there is very little good in "religion"..Man created religion because of his own self righteousness and desire to be honored and set apart from the simplicity of belief, faith and trust in God.. so he turned from God/creator and developed false doctrines, rituals and rules to enhance, entertain and draw people into his sins of lies...Humans seem to always be drawn to a saviour or a group they can see, touch, feel and follow rather than communicating with the God who placed a part of himself within each of us to to help us re-turn to Him if we are willing ..
jmho..
Can't rep you, Blue

Old 02-15-2009, 05:51 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,877,763 times
Quote:
Hummmmm, well,....the sermons are short, the whole thing last a hour or so. This is nice because you get to stand up every now and then to keep fanny fatigue from setting in. Also, with all those other bad singers screeching away, your sour notes are not normally noticed. And, the biggie here, If ya really gotta attend this sort of thing, it is only once a week, less frequently if you can find something else more pressing to do, like clip the dogs' toenails, or take the cat for his weekly walk.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:21 PM

7,599 posts, read 6,101,988 times
Well, if you take a movement, like UNITY (Unity school of Christianity), which has a healthy does of mind dynamics and psychotherapeutic potential mixed in, remove the concept of sin, the devil and don't even mention hell, you may have a religion that would be helpful to someone suffering from depression or anxiety. People may attend this and be empowered to actually make a positive difference in their lives and their world.
Sad, few other, if any, religions follow this formula.
Instead of producing someone who can walk away from their weekly visits to the shrink and stand on their own, most religions produce clientele that would ultimately keep the manufaturers and prescribers of prozac and abilify in business for years to come....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality