Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:59 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Hey Mystic, what do think of the Kalam Cosmological Argument? It seems to indicate a consciousness???
With all due respect to Islam (and they contributed to my understanding) . . . the basic premises of the Kalam cosmological argument are either invalid or not proven. The best evidence of a consciousness for the universe is the necessity for SOME source for the universal field that establishes the metric properties of it. I am aware of nothing that might serve as such an undetectable field other than consciousness . . . which is an undetectable field for which there are many exemplars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:00 AM

598 posts, read 917,259 times
Atheist is a person who denies "God"; theist is a person who believes and often worships "God".

I am an atheist, are you asking me to define "God"?

Old 03-15-2009, 12:00 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
"can not be known" is not a testable evidence.

Love "cannot be known" and there is no testable evidence that love exists, so does that mean that love does not exists?

Old 03-15-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Atheist is a person who denies "God"; theist is a person who believes and often worships "God".

I am an atheist, are you asking me to define "God"?

Well, if you want me to show you proof that GOD exists, than first we must define what it is that I am trying to prove. Saying "prove that X exists!" I first need to know what "X" is.

What "god" are you denying? The metaphor? The force of nature? The none sentient cosmic principal? The Grand Unified Theory? The Human Mind? The literalist big-bearded-white-guy-on-throne?

Tell me what "X" is and I will see if I can or cannot proof it, but like I said, many theists have different opinions of what "X" is.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:07 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
How can you simply deny God? It is obvious that the silly God of Christianity and other organized religions is nonsense. But it seems obvious that there is some sort of higher power to all of this.

It is probably not a single consciousness. It is beyond personification. It is beyond anything we can put into words. It does not make us follow rules, it is nothing like a human being, and it is simply part of the universe. But it's there and it's in us all.

Just try to open your mind to what the word "God" can mean and forget all the dogma.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:12 AM

598 posts, read 917,259 times
Not simply deny it.

The reason I started this thread is asking theists to provide a testable evidence of God's existence.

As I said in the original thread starter, if theists can provide testable evidences, the whole world will be converted.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:16 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Whether God exists or not is irrelevant.
The question is if you believe in God.

I, Tricky D, obviously exist, but do you believe me to be human or a sophisticated computer program that reacts to posts on CD?

Old 03-15-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Not simply deny it.

The reason I started this thread is asking theists to provide a testable evidence of God's existence.

As I said in the original thread starter, if theists can provide testable evidences, the whole world will be converted.

I hate to repeat myself but....

"God is a metaphor for that which trancends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that."-Joseph Campbell

Proof that metaphors exist: Metaphor Examples

metaphor - definition and examples of metaphors - figures of speech

One theist giving his definition of GOD, and me providing evidence that his definition is correct. Ready to jump into the River Jordan now?

Old 03-15-2009, 12:18 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
Quote:
Not simply deny it.

God is something that will never be proved or disproved with words. Whether you ask theists to prove that there is a God, or atheists to prove that there is no God, both will fail to prove anything because we are dealing with totally abstract ideas.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:22 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Whether God exists or not is irrelevant.
The question is if you believe in God.

I, Tricky D, obviously exist, but do you believe me to be human or a sophisticated computer program that reacts to posts on CD?
aye, tricky - thing is, so it only seems. there is proof, but not everyone got it. meanwhile the computer is a competitor in need of being monitored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality