Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:12 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times

Advertisements

[quote=FunkyMonk;7932298]There are three types of things in this universe. The known, the unknown and the unknowable.

seems like an unwholesome and unbecoming trinity.

imho there is nothing unknowable, agreed on the first two, however.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 10:25 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
First all, "nature" can not be a religious definition of "God".
So what? . . . are you suggesting that God cannot exist unless He fits some "religious definition?" That's absurd. God either exists or not . . . independent of what ANY religions believe about God.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:32 PM

598 posts, read 917,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
So what? . . . are you suggesting that God cannot exist unless He fits some "religious definition?" That's absurd. God either exists or not . . . independent of what ANY religions believe about God.
What it means is, you are free to define "nature" as "God". Then, you would be incapacitated to promote any religions like Christianity.

In other words: when I ask you to prove God's existence, you could say "I define my God as a toilette seat. Since toilette seat is where everyone sits on, therefore God exists". Then, later on you brought up the all-familiar bull-craps like "toilette seat nailed its son on two pieces of wood to save human race from sins" -- that does not work, does it?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:57 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Bud235 wrote:
Quote:
In other words: when I ask you to prove God's existence, you could say "I define my God as a toilette seat. Since toilette seat is where everyone sits on, therefore God exists". Then, later on you brought up the all-familiar bull-craps like "toilette seat nailed its son on two pieces of wood to save human race from sins" -- that does not work, does it?
Bud, I hate to sound disrespectful of a fellow atheist but this post is just plain stupid. MysticPhD is obviously a highly educated individual and when you respond to one of his posts you should at least try to not sound like a fifteen year old kid on acid. I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect, just think about what you're really trying to say and make an effort to express yourself in an intelligent manner.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 PM

598 posts, read 917,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Bud235 wrote:

Bud, I hate to sound disrespectful of a fellow atheist but this post is just plain stupid. MysticPhD is obviously a highly educated individual and when you respond to one of his posts you should at least try to not sound like a fifteen year old kid on acid. I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect, just think about what you're really trying to say and make an effort to express yourself in an intelligent manner.
Good, then maybe you should explain to him the relationship between defining religious God and scriptures.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:24 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
The Bible is not the only book on Earth that knows that future. There have been many accurate Non-Christian prophets throughout history. here are prophets from every country on Earth. Just do a google search for it and you'll see all kinds of different prophecies that came true. The Bible is not unique in this regard.

Also you must remember that Chrisitans destoyed other holy books, and murdered other prophets. Because they were "blasphemous", and this is one major reason for Christianity's success. It's violent suppression of anything else.
I believe there are prophecies that are true from time to time, yet the Bible tells us, that if a prophecy comes from God, the prophecies must be 100% true all the time. Such prophecies will be found in the Bible, they will not be found in any other religious Book.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:38 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I believe there are prophecies that are true from time to time, yet the Bible tells us, that if a prophecy comes from God, the prophecies must be 100% true all the time. Such prophecies will be found in the Bible, they will not be found in any other religious Book.
This is more circular logic. It keeps on just going right back to faith.

I've noticed that in my religious debates with followers of Abrahamic religions. If you talk to them for a while. The concept of faith just keeps on coming up as an reason for things. To a non-Christian, it's very weak indeed.

While we are on the topic, would anyone liek to share specifically which rophecies came true from the Bible?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
This is more circular logic. It keeps on just going right back to faith.

I've noticed that in my religious debates with followers of Abrahamic religions. If you talk to them for a while. The concept of faith just keeps on coming up as an reason for things. To a non-Christian, it's very weak indeed.

While we are on the topic, would anyone liek to share specifically which rophecies came true from the Bible?
I do not believe it goes back to faith, it really goes back to evidence.
Jesus Christ fulfilled 300 prophecies found in the Old Testament. Yet today we see the prophecies of the End times being fulfilled. According to the Scriptures, shortly before the end of days we would first see the Jewish people return from a worldwide exile. They would return first to southern Israel, and then second retake Jerusalem. Their return would anger many nations, and near the end, the Bible tells us that one of the last great wars will be fought over the control of Jerusalem. The Bible shows us that at this time, the nations of the east would have the ability to raise up an army of 200 million men. China stated in 1960 that they could do that at that time. They even gave the exact number as stated in the Bible. Also, the Bible tells us that at this time Jerusalems East Gate would have a Porch Gate added to it, and that Gate would remain sealed until the Prince to come would open it. As it turns out, Jerusalems East Gate does have a porch Gate, and it has been sealed for hundreds of years.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:50 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I do not believe it goes back to faith, it really goes back to evidence.
Jesus Christ fulfilled 300 prophecies found in the Old Testament. Yet today we see the prophecies of the End times being fulfilled. According to the Scriptures, shortly before the end of days we would first see the Jewish people return from a worldwide exile. They would return first to southern Israel, and then second retake Jerusalem. Their return would anger many nations, and near the end, the Bible tells us that one of the last great wars will be fought over the control of Jerusalem. The Bible shows us that at this time, the nations of the east would have the ability to raise up an army of 200 million men. China stated in 1960 that they could do that at that time. They even gave the exact number as stated in the Bible. Also, the Bible tells us that at this time Jerusalems East Gate would have a Porch Gate added to it, and that Gate would remain sealed until the Prince to come would open it. As it turns out, Jerusalems East Gate does have a porch Gate, and it has been sealed for hundreds of years.
The problem is that more than 95% of the current population of Israel are not even jewish by blood ie semitic. Their ancestors are Khazars, a turkish tribe whose ancestral home is somewhere in Russia. So how does that fulfil the prophecy?

Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
The problem is that more than 95% of the current population of Israel are not even jewish by blood ie semitic. Their ancestors are Khazars, a turkish tribe whose ancestral home is somewhere in Russia. So how does that fulfil the prophecy?
Well I guess the Islamics have made a big mistake, after all these years they thought they were fighting against the Jews, and here it was Khazars. And who would of believe most of those non Jewish Khazars wanting to build a Jewish Temple on Mt. Moriah. And who would of believed all those non Jewish Khazars, having Jewish names.
Maybe those non Jewish Khazars should check their birth records for accuracy? LOL

I think you better check your source. Because if you have a Jewish name, there is a good chance, by blood, you are of Jewish decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality