Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:51 AM

13 posts, read 38,012 times

Advertisements

Let's say we have a person who throughout his life, led an honorable, respectable, and truthful life. He never lied, stole, murdered, etc. and was generally a good person by most standards. Let's say hypothetically, that this person was never introduced to the concept of a religion or the ideologies of of a religion. This person was never introduced to the concept of a God or a deity. Despite this, he grew up to be a moral and ethical person, even more so than some Christians could admit. Here is the question:

Would this person go to hell when he dies?

Given that he has no knowledge of hell or heaven, a God, or religion for that matter, how can Christians argue that anyone who does not believe in Jesus/God will inevitably go to hell? This question could also be posed for those who are handicapped/mentally disabled. They are unable to grasp the concept of a God/religion, therefore they do not believe in the teachings of scripture - will they go to hell as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 06:41 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,077,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartWentCrazy View Post
Let's say we have a person who throughout his life, led an honorable, respectable, and truthful life. He never lied, stole, murdered, etc. and was generally a good person by most standards. Let's say hypothetically, that this person was never introduced to the concept of a religion or the ideologies of of a religion. This person was never introduced to the concept of a God or a deity. Despite this, he grew up to be a moral and ethical person, even more so than some Christians could admit. Here is the question:

Would this person go to hell when he dies?

Given that he has no knowledge of hell or heaven, a God, or religion for that matter, how can Christians argue that anyone who does not believe in Jesus/God will inevitably go to hell? This question could also be posed for those who are handicapped/mentally disabled. They are unable to grasp the concept of a God/religion, therefore they do not believe in the teachings of scripture - will they go to hell as well?

I've never met a man that has never told a lie, stolen anything, looked lustfully, etc. If there was such a man, he would have no sin, and would not require a savior.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:23 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,927,630 times
Nobody will go to any hell. The only hell that exists is the one of our own making. So you can be in "hell" during your life here on earth, or not. Your choice.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,777,768 times
I believe that would person would go to heaven.

I'm catholic, pretty much all protestants will disagree, but I don't think God would punish someone for complete ignorance. You have to know your sinning for it to be a sin. It not like the person is wilfully turning his back on God.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:31 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,526,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I've never met a man that has never told a lie, stolen anything, looked lustfully, etc. If there was such a man, he would have no sin, and would not require a savior.

such speaks the holy inquisition. arsonists as fire fighters. not christ-like at all.

so sorry, man!

Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,077,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
I believe that would person would go to heaven.

I'm catholic, pretty much all protestants will disagree, but I don't think God would punish someone for complete ignorance. You have to know your sinning for it to be a sin. It not like the person is wilfully turning his back on God.

So should we close up all the churches, burn all the Bibles and fire all the pastors? In 50-100 years there will likely be no one that has heard of Christ. If ignorance is bliss..everyone will go to heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
such speaks the holy inquisition. arsonists as fire fighters. not christ-like at all.

so sorry, man!
I'm sorry...but I reallly didn't understand what you were trying to say.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,777,768 times
Quote:
So should we close up all the churches, burn all the Bibles and fire all the pastors? In 50-100 years there will likely be no one that has heard of Christ. If ignorance is bliss..everyone will go to heaven.
That is such a stupid statement, that I won't even respond.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:09 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,663,461 times
Quote:

I'm sorry...but I reallly didn't understand what you were trying to say.
It might take a little longer than 50 to 100 years but most (not all but most)people will see that religion is more hurtful than helpful. Less people in the United States are religious today than they were in the year 2000.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,389,634 times
Quote:
Well, that's a good start but, as you know, complex religious movements need to be orchestrated much more tightly and focused on the internal.
You really need to get all the Christians behind your idea so that they know in their heart of hearts that keeping the secret and protecting ignorance is utterly important to the salvation of mankind. Win over the hearts and minds of religious leaders and then you will have something. You know the drill...

Old 03-13-2009, 10:34 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,927,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Well, that's a good start but, as you know, complex religious movements need to be orchestrated much more tightly and focused on the internal.
You really need to get all the Christians behind your idea so that they know in their heart of hearts that keeping the secret and protecting ignorance is utterly important to the salvation of mankind. Win over the hearts and minds of religious leaders and then you will have something. You know the drill...
Great idea! Keep your traps shut and save us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality