Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:47 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times

Advertisements

Fossil fuels are but one of the many significant problems with the young earth theory. There's the afore-mentioned stalagmite-stalagtite question, ancient trees (Norway Spruce in Sweden, bristlecone pine in Tasmania, etc.), and that pesky issue of fossils.

I believe in God and I believe in true, solid science. That tells me our planet's much, much older than 6,000 years, but it doesn't shake my faith. Our time is not His time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
It only takes a couple of weeks for oil to form from animal by products under the right conditions. Discovery magazine also did an article on this topic called "Oil from anything". In the article it describes how American companies are making oil from Turkey Offal to make biofuels. If it took millions of years to form the companies would not make any money. In fact it is just add water pressure and some heat and it two weeks, OIL!

The millions of years presupposition is just a relic from the evolutionary based Uniformatarian time scale. This is just a made up timescale for events in earths past. It persists as long as we will have people who will hold to that unsupported hypothesis.
Unsupported hypothesis?

How about participating on the other thread and explain to us all how the cave formations made it in just 6000 years, the formation of the Vic Falls gorges and ice cores being discussed. While you are about it, present facts as to where Noah got the bitumen for his boat.

Three different areas of science all saying the same/similar things

BTW bio-fuel =/= fossil fuel. one is hydra carbons the other is not.

BTW they utilize fuel derived from human waste be it feces or bio garbage.

The oil companies will not support any type of clean/renewable technology as that would put them out of business. Follow the money.

ETA:
In fact it is just add water pressure and some heat and it two weeks
Where was this water pressure derived from in nature? How long (in nature) would it take?

It is the same with industrial diamonds which we are able to create under extreme pressure and heat artificially.

natural =/= artificial however the artificial can point to a time frame as how long it would take in nature.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:23 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
It only takes a couple of weeks for oil to form from animal by products under the right conditions. Discovery magazine also did an article on this topic called "Oil from anything". In the article it describes how American companies are making oil from Turkey Offal to make biofuels. If it took millions of years to form the companies would not make any money. In fact it is just add water pressure and some heat and it two weeks, OIL!

The millions of years presupposition is just a relic from the evolutionary based Uniformatarian time scale. This is just a made up timescale for events in earths past. It persists as long as we will have people who will hold to that unsupported hypothesis.
Let's just suppose that you are correct and oil can form in a short time. That begs the question, at least for me....Where did all that organic material come from, and why is most of so far beneath the surface?

The age of the earth is not a hypothesis, but a fact supported by countless scientists and accepted by most of the population, with the exception of a few believers in ancient myths....You know this Nikk, so I have no idea why you post these untruths.....No wait, I do know....You cannot accept anything that conflicts with your biblical myth. You do know that the vast majority of Christians do accept the reality that the earth is indeed billions of years old....Why can't you?

Old 03-23-2009, 06:39 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Fossil fuels are but one of the many significant problems with the young earth theory. There's the afore-mentioned stalagmite-stalagtite question, ancient trees (Norway Spruce in Sweden, bristlecone pine in Tasmania, etc.), and that pesky issue of fossils.

I believe in God and I believe in true, solid science. That tells me our planet's much, much older than 6,000 years, but it doesn't shake my faith. Our time is not His time.
I go along with this in part. One can still be a believer and trust science.

Personally, evolution does not have all the answers yet. The flora side has me "doubting" somewhat but because all we have in the way of fauna fossils is mainly in coal and in sand stone.

The fact that we are able to manipulate DNA means the DNA in of itself is not too complex. Unless I am misinformed, I do not believe that we are able yet to work outside the natural seed of animals and plants in this manipulation. They hybrid seeds farmers use for adaptability to climatic conditions, IIRC cannot be replanted or IOW cannot propagate in the new "improved" form. However I may be wrong - chime in biologists.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 AM

520 posts, read 896,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
So it's possible that what they theorize might take millions of years would only take 8000 years under the right circumstances? Seeing as how they just don't really know?
The overall process of oil formation (organic decay, teperature, pressure, time scale, location, etc) is well understood. But you would be correct in stating that we do not yet understand every detail of this process.

Lets assume that scientists find the right circumstances to create oil on a much shorter time scale. The question would then be, are these circumstances natural, or likely to occur in nature? Look at the diamond, it also takes millions of years, intense heat and pressure for carbon to form in such away that a diamond is formed. Yet scientists can create diamonds in laboratories in a fraction of the time. But this in now way means that this same process that scientists use can or will occur in nature. A lab is a much more controlled enviroment, much less chaotic and random than nature.

Last edited by forkpower; 03-23-2009 at 08:42 AM..

Old 03-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
sorry, I forgot to mention that I am not the sharpest pencil in the box..You will have to tell me which gifts and how they "contradict" (?) the word of God..
I am not asking to argue, I really do want to know what you think
Im going from a literal interpreation of the bible and the Young Earth Model. Assuming these it gets even more difficult to find an explanation for the formation of oil. Well, as long as one dosent default to the "god did it" explaination.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
The Religious & Atheists alike have both exploited our earth's natural resources and nobody has an edge on the blame game in regards to that. You can find such places in your link all over our planet earth and in every single country. No one's at fault for being ignorant in times past. But it is their fault if they choose to stay that way.
How true indeed. At one time, the means to understand much of the natural world, were not within our reach. But as time progress so does our understanding of the world around us, and the means in which we come to such an understanding. To willingly choose to dismiss information and knowledge that has been repeatedly tested and supported is to willingly turn a blind eye to the world around us.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:06 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Let's just suppose that you are correct and oil can form in a short time. That begs the question, at least for me....Where did all that organic material come from, and why is most of so far beneath the surface?

The age of the earth is not a hypothesis, but a fact supported by countless scientists and accepted by most of the population, with the exception of a few believers in ancient myths....You know this Nikk, so I have no idea why you post these untruths.....No wait, I do know....You cannot accept anything that conflicts with your biblical myth. You do know that the vast majority of Christians do accept the reality that the earth is indeed billions of years old....Why can't you?
Christians who accept millions of years accept it out of ignorance. Those who accept millions of year while looking at the evidence (which points to a recent creation) do so because they have rejected God.

The organic matter got under the ground during the global flood of Noah's day. In fact the entire geologic column is from this global catastrophic event. The earth before the flood was rich and lush. All this organic matterial got buried producing the coal viens and oil reserves deep in the earth.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:27 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Quote:
Christians who accept millions of years accept it out of ignorance. Those who accept millions of year while looking at the evidence (which points to a recent creation) do so because they have rejected God.

The organic matter got under the ground during the global flood of Noah's day. In fact the entire geologic column is from this global catastrophic event. The earth before the flood was rich and lush. All this organic matterial got buried producing the coal viens and oil reserves deep in the earth.
Your reasoning:

1. Geological evidence suggests that there was a flood at some point and it buried organic material which became coal and oil reserves (I'll buy this but I'm not familiar with the evidence).

2. Since there was a flood, it MUST have been the flood referenced in the bible as the one Noah built a ark for, loaded up two of every animal, etc.

3. Since there was a flood and Noah built an ark for it, then this bible story must be true.

4. Since this bible story is true, then ALL bible studies are true.

5. The bible also says that the earth is only 6000 years old.

Conclusion: The earth is 6000 years old.

I'm sure you can see any number of places where this logic might be faulty.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:13 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Unsupported hypothesis?

How about participating on the other thread and explain to us all how the cave formations made it in just 6000 years, the formation of the Vic Falls gorges and ice cores being discussed. While you are about it, present facts as to where Noah got the bitumen for his boat.

Three different areas of science all saying the same/similar things

BTW bio-fuel =/= fossil fuel. one is hydra carbons the other is not.

BTW they utilize fuel derived from human waste be it feces or bio garbage.

The oil companies will not support any type of clean/renewable technology as that would put them out of business. Follow the money.

ETA:
In fact it is just add water pressure and some heat and it two weeks
Where was this water pressure derived from in nature? How long (in nature) would it take?

It is the same with industrial diamonds which we are able to create under extreme pressure and heat artificially.

natural =/= artificial however the artificial can point to a time frame as how long it would take in nature.
I have posted on many threads. But I will answer this one here.

Cave formations, gorge formations are all based on rates. Rates observable in the present do not determine what the rate was in the past. Many changes occur over the years (that we observe) and to assume uniformaty back into millenium is absurd and not scientific.

The bitumen that Noah used for his boat was probably of natural origin. This is bitumenous substance is probably akin to the sap of a conniferous tree like the pine or some other similar tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality