Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:01 AM

593 posts, read 1,795,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I used to walk every day to a mall to do an hour or reading at a bookstore. My walk went past three church parking lots. One Sunday morning, I did a count. The number of imports (Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Subaru) was a little less than 20% of the total cars in the church parking lots. Then, at the Mall, the same count showed about 45% Asian imports in the parking lot on Sunday morning. What kinds of conclusions can be inferred from this survey?
That you can count...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:12 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I used to walk every day to a mall to do an hour or reading at a bookstore. My walk went past three church parking lots. One Sunday morning, I did a count. The number of imports (Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Subaru) was a little less than 20% of the total cars in the church parking lots. Then, at the Mall, the same count showed about 45% Asian imports in the parking lot on Sunday morning. What kinds of conclusions can be inferred from this survey?
I had gone to an Indian function in the stadium in Arlington (DFW area). About 80% of the cars were Japanese - not US, not German, etc. Go figure. Remember, this was not a small sample - there were thousands of people parked and we must have counted over 50 cars on the way back to our car after the function. By the way, an Indain friend pointed this out and this led to the counting.
Sidenote - does not look like too many Hindus go to Church.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:32 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
I had gone to an Indian function in the stadium in Arlington (DFW area). About 80% of the cars were Japanese - not US, not German, etc. Go figure. Remember, this was not a small sample - there were thousands of people parked and we must have counted over 50 cars on the way back to our car after the function. By the way, an Indain friend pointed this out and this led to the counting.
Sidenote - does not look like too many Hindus go to Church.
For the sake of discussion-

I suppose religious beliefs could/should be included in every decision an individual makes but I consider this pure economics.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:43 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
For the sake of discussion-

I suppose religious beliefs could/should be included in every decision an individual makes but I consider this pure economics.
Agree - economics and consumer knowledge drives behavior. Economics and things like Consumer Reports leads the Indains here to shift towards Japanese cars. But, someone in front of a Hindu temple may notice too many Hindus buy Japanese. I think OP was just having fun - some of these correlations are interesting to note- regardless of the causation.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Agree - economics and consumer knowledge drives behavior. Economics and things like Consumer Reports leads the Indains here to shift towards Japanese cars. But, someone in front of a Hindu temple may notice too many Hindus buy Japanese. I think OP was just having fun - some of these correlations are interesting to note- regardless of the causation.

Same here.

I'm sort of burned out on religion--politics--ethnicity.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Maybe that you should be in church on Sunday morning since you have nothing better to do?
Wow you actually made me laugh! That was a good one liner.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:44 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
As Mark Twain once observed, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Anybody could count up the cars in a specific place (or even three specific places) and manipulate their results to "prove" just about anything. It depends a lot on how much of an imagination one has!
I love Mark Twain quotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality