Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 06:40 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,376,777 times

Advertisements

There have been a couple religious based issues on the news lately - are Christians and Catholics really upset or is it just media hype?

Are Christians really upset with Obama's comment in Turkey that the US is not a Christian nation or do Christians feel the media is nit-picking Obama's words?

Are Catholics really upset with the appointment of Harry Knox to the WH advisory panel? Is it not a good thing to have people on all sides of the fence on such a panel?

Info on Obama's Christian nation statement:
Debates on both sides of Obama's statement can be seen at:
On youtube see the video: Hannity-Obama: USA Not A Christian Nation (4/7/09)
and
CNN perspective on the comment on youtube, see the video: President Obama: "America Is Not a Christian, Jewish or Muslin Nation"
Quote:
"One of the great strengths of the United States," the President said, "is ... we have a very large Christian population -- we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation. We consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_183772.html
Info on the appointment of Harry Knox:
Quote:
President Obama announced the appointments of .... and Harry Knox on Monday, filling out a 25-person roster that is part of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships. Obama brings rivals to faith-based advisory panel - USATODAY.com
Quote:
President Barack Obama’s appointees to a federal advisory council on faith-based initiatives includes a gay man who has attacked Roman Catholics for their position against gay clergy and condom use...

Mr. Knox is an outspoken critic of Catholicism, lambasting Pope Benedict XVI for saying that condom use has not helped fight AIDS.....

In March, Mr. Knox told a San Francisco-based gay newspaper that The Knights of Columbus, a Catholic men’s organization was a group of “foot soldiers” in a “discredited army of oppression” for supporting California’s Proposition 8...

Some Catholics have viewed the choice of Mr. Knox as a sign of the growing tension between orthodox Catholics and the current administration Obama Appoints Anti-Catholic To Faith-Based Advisory Council - The Philadelphia Bulletin (http://www.thebulletin.us/articles/2009/04/08/top_stories/doc49dc4d9ddbcde491794954.txt - broken link)
More at Catholic League: Obama Appointee Harry Knox Unfit to Serve - Catholic Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:52 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
There have been a couple religious based issues on the news lately - are Christians and Catholics really upset or is it just media hype?

Are Christians really upset with Obama's comment in Turkey that the US is not a Christian nation or do Christians feel the media is nit-picking Obama's words?

Are Catholics really upset with the appointment of Harry Knox to the WH advisory panel? Is it not a good thing to have people on all sides of the fence on such a panel?

Info on Obama's Christian nation statement:
Debates on both sides of Obama's statement can be seen at:
On youtube see the video: Hannity-Obama: USA Not A Christian Nation (4/7/09)
and
CNN perspective on the comment on youtube, see the video: President Obama: "America Is Not a Christian, Jewish or Muslin Nation"

Info on the appointment of Harry Knox:

More at Catholic League: Obama Appointee Harry Knox Unfit to Serve - Catholic Online
I vote media hype.

Why would catholics even be offended by their president? Many voted for him.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,078 times
this hype is spreading like wildfire - a welcome deflection from other miseries.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:15 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
"Amen, Amen, I tell thee, whoever enters a community through the back door and not through the front is a thief, and the community knows their organizer. But whoever enters through the front gate is the shepherd and the sheep of the community recognize their shepherd. For truly I tell thee, I am the shepherd and you are my sheep."

I cannot do anything on my own, I bail-out as I bail-out, and my policies are just, because I do not seek my own will, but the will of the people who voted for me. Whatever comes from me comes from the electorate. Do you really believe because you see the news or do you really not believe because you see Faux News. Amen, Amen, I say to you, blessed be those who can't see or hear news, and still believe, for theirs is the kingdom of freedom"

Right at this time, the disciples in tuxedo flocked towards the President.

"Sir, the people are hungry"

The President sees a boy from the cafeteria and beckons unto him.

"What doth thou hast?"

"I just have five bagels and two frozen fish fillets"

The President broke the bagels, looked up to heaven and said, "I am the bagel of life, whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever eats this fillet will not be frozenfishfillety"

And then he gave it to his disciples who went on to feed the crowd.

After the feed, the disciples gathered the fragments and leftovers, twelve baskets of them.

When the people saw this, they exclaimed, "This truly is the prophet, the one who is to come into this world"

The President heard this and withdrew with his disciples, his time had not yet come.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality