Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:09 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,307,799 times

Advertisements

One of the many ironies I have always found in the Christian religion are the stories of the bible in which God, in his indignant wrath, destroys cities and even the world. Does that not make God guilty of murder? Is murder not a sin? What sins did the people of these stories commit that justified their murder. Were all the people equally deserving to die? If God is all knowing, why is the Bible full of stories of God's mistakes? For example Satan and all the demons were once angels, but they were defective. Adam & Eve, defective. The entire human race at the time of Noah, defective. The people of Sodom & Gomorrah, defective. And ultimately, the whole human race at the present time, who do not believe in the Christian religion, defective. Seems like God creates mostly defective merchandise and then destroys his creations. Does not make much sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 04:35 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,682,882 times
The Commandment draws a distinction between "murder" and "killing."

Old 04-10-2009, 04:43 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,683,566 times
I'm a non-Christian, I'm Native American, I guess he missed me.......a little humor on my part....

Old 04-10-2009, 04:52 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,518,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The Commandment draws a distinction between "murder" and "killing."
But that's just semantics, because a murder, by definition, is a wrongful killing. So the question is, why is it not wrongful when God kills?

I think the OP has a good point. God sinned many times if he is held to the same standard as humans. It's only when you create a double standard for God that you can say he is perfect and without sin.

But that is true for anyone, not just God. I'm also perfect and without sin, if you hold me to a different standard than everyone else. If, like God, you say that it's not a sin for me to kill, order rapes and kidnapping of my enemies, etc., than I would be as sinless as the christian God.

If God is held to the same standard as humans, he would be the moral equivalent of Kim Jung Ill, the leader of North Korea. He is non-democratic. he murders his enemies, he threatens to torture anyone who refuses to worship him. He engages in nepotism with his son, etc, at the same time he claims he loves you. The Christian concept of God is a gangster. But like the people of North Korea, his people are forced to say they love him or they are afraid they will be tortured forever.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:02 PM

131 posts, read 214,949 times
God can't kill. Only the real gods and devils kill (you and I)

Old 04-10-2009, 06:37 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,022,015 times
Like the imaginary devil, the bible's god get's a bad rap. He exists on paper primarily to appear to create and/or support certain biases, exploitations, control mechanisms and even murder. He's probably never lifted a finger, but if you want to put the "fear of god" into people, just claim he is an angry, petty, jealous, worship loving deity who holds eternal grudges who is not above drowning the whole world or having earthly thugs murder ungodly and immoral people supposedly deserving of death.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:47 PM

64,028 posts, read 40,336,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Like the imaginary devil, the bible's god get's a bad rap. He exists on paper primarily to appear to create and/or support certain biases, exploitations, control mechanisms and even murder. He's probably never lifted a finger, but if you want to put the "fear of god" into people, just claim he is an angry, petty, jealous, worship loving deity who holds eternal grudges who is not above drowning the whole world or having earthly thugs murder ungodly and immoral people supposedly deserving of death.
Or if you want to put love in the hearts of humankind . . . you could have a loving accepting God of unconditional love trying to guide His children safely to maturity avoiding all the "death traps" that exist in life. A God that would allow us to scourge and crucify Him in our complete ignorance and barbarity rather than lift a finger to "smite" even one of us. One who would stick around after physical death as Spirit within us to urge and guide those who are willing to that maturity. You pays your money . . and you takes your chances.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:16 PM

23,030 posts, read 34,452,392 times
Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord".

Old 04-10-2009, 08:18 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,022,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Or if you want to put love in the hearts of humankind . . . you could have a loving accepting God of unconditional love trying to guide His children safely to maturity avoiding all the "death traps" that exist in life. A God that would allow us to scourge and crucify Him in our complete ignorance and barbarity rather than lift a finger to "smite" even one of us. One who would stick around after physical death as Spirit within us to urge and guide those who are willing to that maturity. You pays your money . . and you takes your chances.
Those types of deities have never served the purpose of men. Mankind prefers to create ones that can be a "cosmic" extension of their control.

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 04-10-2009 at 08:45 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,218,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord".
I'll take death. But what does this have to do with the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality