Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:53 PM

113 posts, read 175,276 times

Advertisements

It's only a matter of time until we humans spread our (somewhat toxic) influence to other planets or heavenly bodies, probably first to the moon as a jumping-off point, and then most likely to Mars.

Will we export God and religious fervor there, or can we perhaps leave it's corrupting influence here? What, if anything, does the bible prophesize (clearly, not in vague, "Could just as easily be referring to exploration of Antarctica rather than the moon" Nostradamus-type failed propheses) about space exploration and other life forms we'll find sooner or later?

Top 87 Bad Predictions about the Future

What if man is far from being the most advanced species out there, and the benevolent beings (hopefully...) that we meet have vastly better intellect. Perhaps they can, somehow, advance our understanding of "The Big Bang" and other things that are now so controversial just because science hasn't figured it all out yet?

What will Christianity do when/if we come across another life form who says "Oh that old voodoo stuff? We know it's not true, but everywhere we go, their early civilizations, pre-science, did the "gods" thing until they grew up intellectually!"

Or, perhaps God will stop us from looking around his backyard. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 05:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thotful1 View Post
It's only a matter of time until we humans spread our (somewhat toxic) influence to other planets or heavenly bodies, probably first to the moon as a jumping-off point, and then most likely to Mars.

Will we export God and religious fervor there, or can we perhaps leave it's corrupting influence here? What, if anything, does the bible prophesize (clearly, not in vague, "Could just as easily be referring to exploration of Antarctica rather than the moon" Nostradamus-type failed propheses) about space exploration and other life forms we'll find sooner or later?

Top 87 Bad Predictions about the Future

What if man is far from being the most advanced species out there, and the benevolent beings (hopefully...) that we meet have vastly better intellect. Perhaps they can, somehow, advance our understanding of "The Big Bang" and other things that are now so controversial just because science hasn't figured it all out yet?

What will Christianity do when/if we come across another life form who says "Oh that old voodoo stuff? We know it's not true, but everywhere we go, their early civilizations, pre-science, did the "gods" thing until they grew up intellectually!"

Or, perhaps God will stop us from looking around his backyard. What do you think?
I dont think we well ever start sending humans to other planets. That stuff is science fiction, not science. What point would there be in starting a civilization on Mars? There is none. Lets put our scientific research behind something that will actually help us here on earth and maybe save our own planet in the process.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:06 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,078 times
oh, you must have taken the thought right out of my mind - didn't they call that STEALING
light-years ago????
do you have any idea from where i left you (with) a copy - right???

Colonization of Mars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

was there a time when we considered having started an Earth colonisation project .....?????

Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times

If there is an omnipotent god, there would be no exporting of god needed.

If we reach a primitive planet, the first people coming off the capsule may be hailed as the gods of that planet.

If we reach an advanced life, maybe they might even laugh (or whatever they do there to express amusement) at us.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post

If there is an omnipotent god, there would be no exporting of god needed.

If we reach a primitive planet, the first people coming off the capsule may be hailed as the gods of that planet.

If we reach an advanced life, maybe they might even laugh (or whatever they do there to express amusement) at us.

not bad.

what else was in the memory bag?

did anyone lose touch with mission control?

all hell broke loose - again?

Old 04-09-2009, 06:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
If advanced aliens ever contacted earth and made contact with human beings I doubt very much that they would still be in the primitive era of imagining gods and explaining that their circumstances were the result of the behavior of those gods. Human beings appear to have a mix of primitive and forward looking beliefs and I think we're in a stage of transition.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
If advanced aliens ever contacted earth and made contact with human beings I doubt very much that they would still be in the primitive era of imagining gods and explaining that their circumstances were the result of the behavior of those gods. Human beings appear to have a mix of primitive and forward looking beliefs and I think we're in a stage of transition.

if agreeing with you here, i would have to ask how come ... how did we get from advanced to primitive?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
not bad.

what else was in the memory bag?

did anyone lose touch with mission control?

all hell broke loose - again?
effie - I would have responded but I am not getting what you are saying....

Old 04-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
effie - I would have responded but I am not getting what you are saying....
yeah, mission control sends lightning and thunder, but you can't get that either!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
yeah, mission control sends lightning and thunder, but you can't get that either!
.. me is dense....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality