Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:25 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times

Advertisements

Living back in New York City after 20 years elsewhere sure provides its share of entertainment. One such favorite pastime around these parts is the street preacher or occasional Christian witness trying to convert someone. Well, I met one on 42nd st and decided to entertain him.

He came forward to hand me a tract as I was walking by. Generally I brush them off, but I decided to take it which I guess he figured was an okay to continue talking to me. As I said, I entertained him. He began to tell me about Jesus and how he was unique because he was predicted by ancient prophets to come into the world to die for our sins and he will someday rid the world of all of this evil and wikedness. He also went on to tell me that the Bible is "God's love letter" to mankind and tells us his plan for each of us.

At this point I told him that what he had to say sounded great and that I had a Bible at home. I went on to ask him if it was okay for me to go home and read it from start to finish before I made any commitments, fine print and all that, you know. This seemed to disturb him that I would suggest such a thing. His direction of conversation changed. He told me that "today is the day of salvation" and I should not delay a decision to serve Jesus because he is coming back real soon, in fact, any day now, and only those who have accepted him as lord and savior will be taken to heaven by him. I then told him I did not think that was fair as I'm sure Jesus would probably think it was sound advice to read, IN FULL, any material requiring a signature or verbal commitment. Besides, I continued, I recall hearing one time that "God is not willing that any should perish" so I'm sure Jesus would wait for me to finish reading the whole Bible so I could make an educated decision. I figured it would take a good year for me to read it through.

This completely befuddled him and he began to smile nervously while running his hand through his hair. He told me that if he were me, he would not take such a chance. I told him that I was willing to because I lost my house because I failed to read some very important fine print and opted to LISTEN to what I was being told as to reading what I was signing. I told him what he and I had going on was no different. He was telling me what I should do; to make a commitment to something I am not fully versed on. Right then and I there I began to tell him that while we were at it, I was selling a program that would allow him to be able to make $5,000 a week. All he had to do was sign up, fork over $200 and let the program work for him. He refused the offer, telling me those things are often scams. I smiled and told him, well thanks for making the point for me and told him to have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:46 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Good for you! I bet you felt ten feet tall as you walked away. You should be very proud. I'm sure your mama would be.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Right then and I there I began to tell him that while we were at it, I was selling a program that would allow him to be able to make $5,000 a week. All he had to do was sign up, fork over $200 and let the program work for him. He refused the offer, telling me those things are often scams. I smiled and told him, well thanks for making the point for me and told him to have a nice day.
Irony much, good approach to make a point.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Good for you! I bet you felt ten feet tall as you walked away. You should be very proud. I'm sure your mama would be.
No different than if HE thought he converted me. As for mama, nah. She is a Christian herself.

By the way, that was me (as a Christian) 20 years ago on those same streets.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
irony much, good approach to make a point.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
No different than if HE thought he converted me. As for mama, nah. She is a Christian herself.

By the way, that was me (as a Christian) 20 years ago on those same streets.
No, that was you 'knowing about' Christianity 20 years ago on those same streets.

And unless the guy asked you for $200 dollars to accept Christ, your comparison was Moderator cut: edited for content:foolish.

But at least you had something to come back to your internet buds and glorify yourself with....so you got something from it, didn't you?

Last edited by Alpha8207; 05-12-2009 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Surely, most people are more concerned with exact details when accepting a job, getting married, buying a house, deciding on education, applying for a large loan, and financing a car than with signing off their eternities. But none of these involves a threat of eternal punishment if declined.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No, that was you 'knowing about' Christianity 20 years ago on those same streets.

And unless the guy asked you for $200 dollars to accept Christ, your comparison was Moderator cut: edited for content:foolish
I must ask...do you not get it?

It's a scam, a hoax, hokey poke, a fraud, to us atheist that don't believe in jesus and his daddy. What do you suppose would have happened had the street preacher got Insane to accept Jesus? He would've joined the church then be bolstered into paying tithes. Scam much? Yep, it just comes later down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
But at least you had something to come back to your internet buds and glorify yourself with....so you got something from it, didn't you?
Just the same way that Christians go and glorify themselves in their churches as victims to the secular world that is trying to strip them of their religious freedoms? Yea, then I guess it's the same way, kettle. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 05-12-2009 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 09:23 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
He would've joined the church then be bolstered into paying tithes. Scam much? Yep, it just comes later down the road.
That's evidence you don't 'get' it.

But thanks for the slams....insane is quite an intelligent man, isn't he?

Why, he's a Christian's worst nightmare, right IIDM?LOL

Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
I must ask...do you not get it?

It's a scam, a hoax, hokey poke, a fraud, to us atheist that don't believe in jesus and his daddy. What do you suppose would have happened had the street preacher got Insane to accept Jesus? He would've joined the church then be bolstered into paying tithes. Scam much? Yep, it just comes later down the road.

Just the same way that Christians go and glorify themselves in their churches as victims to the secular world that is trying to strip them of their religious freedoms? Yea, then I guess it's the same way, kettle. Thanks for pointing that out.
Thank you kindly. I think someone just wants to be facetious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality