Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Maybe God will heal him. Maybe he won't. He made us all, he can make that choice. In any event, it's not about "praying hard enough", or eating magic roots.
Your nonexistent god won't heal him. He would be served just as well by praying to a unicorn or to Peter Pan or to Santa Claus.

Oh, and your god didn't make any of us. Our dads effed our moms, impregnated them, and that's how we were made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:20 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
When you're using your religion to make potentially dangerous decisions for people who aren't legally allowed to themselves, you are the bad guy.
I watched my mother go through that chemo crap. It doesn't get rid of the cancer permanantly. It always comes back whether it's in ten years or in two months. Sorry you think anyone who doesn't use conventional medicine is the bad guy. If I had cancer, you can bet your booty I wouldn't get chemo under any circumstances.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
From our good friends at wiki:

Quote:
Hodgkin's lymphoma is one of the handful of cancers that, even in its later stages, has a very high cure rate, in the 90's.[3] Most patients who are able to be successfully treated (and thus enter remission) generally go on and live long and normal lives, due to a remission success rate of 90% to 95%.
Hodgkin's lymphoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's the thing Rev, this type of cancer is very treatable. With conventional medical treatments, he has a 90-95% chance of living a long normal life.

With the roots, he is all but guaranteed to die.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I watched my mother go through that chemo crap. It doesn't get rid of the cancer permanantly. It always comes back whether it's in ten years or in two months. Sorry you think anyone who doesn't use conventional medicine is the bad guy. If I had cancer, you can bet your booty I wouldn't get chemo under any circumstances.
It depends on the cancer. This child's cancer is soooo curable and his parents are literally condemning him to death by letting him choose his own treatment.

Also...you're an adult, capable of making the decision for yourself, and hurting only yourself if you choose incorrectly. A 13-yr-old mentally handicapped, illiterate child doesn't have the capacity to make an educated decision for himself.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
This is an example of the worst kind of child abuse because unless they can find him and treat him his Mother's influence is going to cause his death. I noticed that the Father of the boy is still at home and didn't take part in what the Mother is doing. To make matters worse she has brainwashed her son which was made clear by the statements he made about the treatment. He said he would physically do whatever he could to avoid the medical procedures.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 AM

There are cures for cancer outside of conventional medicine. Have you ever thought that maybe the mother knows of these cures?
I'm not saying she is right and I'm not saying she's wrong. She is the only one who has the answer and until we get her side of the story, we can only speculate.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:26 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Reverend wrote:
Quote:
There are cures for cancer outside of conventional medicine. Have you ever thought that maybe the mother knows of these cures?
I'm not saying she is right and I'm not saying she's wrong.
The conventional treatment for this particular cancer is well known and has a very high cure rate. I haven't read anything in the media that would suggest that the Mother of this boy has advanced medical training or any expertise whatsoever. I actually worry about my own Mother when it comes to cancer. She has told us that if she comes down with cancer that she won't use conventional treatments and that she'll seek alternative medicine. She's using some products right now that are being promoted by a man who I believe to be a con artist who is making ridiculous claims about what they can do. He claims to be a doctor but investigators say he just has a High School diploma and the state of Utah is trying to shut his business down. Unfortunately in the world of alternative medicine there's alot of fraud going on. There may be some legitimate products that are effective but I seriously doubt that any product could be proven to be effective for the cancer this young boy has and what makes it so maddening is that the conventional approach has been proven to work.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I'm not saying she is right and I'm not saying she's wrong. She is the only one who has the answer and until we get her side of the story, we can only speculate.
I agree that sometimes non-conventional methods appear to work. I say "appear" because unless genuine studies are done on the subject, these incidences may just be the people that would get better on their own anyway -- and we all know that there's always a few of those here and there.

Personally, I reserve opinion on whether or not non-conventional methods work until I see solid studies done on them. I would also not have any problem with an adult in their right mind deciding to have themselves treated these ways. And honestly, I don't really care what the parents in this instance decide to do. My gut feeling is that they're going to kill the kid, and then I would say prosecute them for child endangerment.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:36 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
I question the national headlines of------" religous beliefs"

What I question is--------if her "religous beliefs" are that strong against conventional medicine, why did she have him diagnosed by a --conventional doctor---and recieve his first chemo treatment.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:15 AM

Well, I'm just going to wait and see what the mother has to say and what she will do. It's not up to any of us to say what is right or wrong. I will pray for them and other than that, I am not in the situation to be able to help another way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality