Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:33 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeGod View Post
Who said islam isnt a religion of peace?
The weird part of Islam...

The weird thing is not that they dont hate us all...
I mean, yes they do,
yes they hate us Americans
Yes they hate the Jews.
yes they hate the Hinduism and Buddhism believers...

all that we all see to be clearly true by just watching the morning TV news...

But the really weird thing is that Islam hates itself more!???
!!!!!!!!!!!!
The hate between "Shia" and "Sunni" is so huge, and so much greater that the hate they feel to other faiths, that on any day of the week you can find mothers of one branch of Islam strapping bombs on their own little children and telling them to go run outside and play with the other branches children.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
In the meantime:

YouTube - War/No More Trouble | Playing for Change | Song Around The World

Old 07-03-2009, 08:47 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,771 times
Religion stopped the war in East Jerusalem. The rest is just a bitchy fable about the meaning of why the universe began with the Life's doubtful purpose for Man's existence; in other words, the Law was made for wondering if Peace has any choice for Time continuing from the beginning.

Incidentally, Iran is all about that continuance being property having no choice for democratic choice in That, unless We were and are conformists to the lawyer's determinations of the aforesaid.

Darn; I have no system of government to think about.

Last edited by tgnostic; 07-03-2009 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-03-2009, 10:20 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Several Popes negotiated treaties that ended wars. The Portuguese/Spanish war of the 1470s was ended by Papal treaty.

After Asoka converted to Buddhism he has said to have ended his wars of conquest. The Tibetans also became less warlike after converting to Buddhism.

There's probably several others. That you didn't get an answer other than "no" is a sign of lack of education here or of odd religious demographics or both.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
christianity teaches not to take revenge, that is a pretty good start.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:04 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Several Popes negotiated treaties that ended wars. The Portuguese/Spanish war of the 1470s was ended by Papal treaty.

After Asoka converted to Buddhism he has said to have ended his wars of conquest. The Tibetans also became less warlike after converting to Buddhism.

There's probably several others. That you didn't get an answer other than "no" is a sign of lack of education here or of odd religious demographics or both.
That's a good point. I'd forgotten about Ashoka. I'm not too sure about the Papal treaties. It's probably true that he was an effective negaotiator and mediator between the two sides because both would respect a pope, but that doesn't sound quite like religion ending the war. On the other hand, It is possible that pope intervened to stop the Spanish pounding their co-religionists in a way he might not have done if they were pounding Dutch protestants.

Let's have a read...

Which one you have in mind? There were several conflicts. The Spanish–Portuguese War, 1761–1763 concluding with the Treaty of El Pardo looks most likely. The Pope isn't even mentioned though. More info?

Hah..sorry 1470...
hang on I don't see one There's the 1383–1385 Crisis, where the Portuguese got their independence. That doesn't seem to a pope arranging a deal.. can you give the name and date of the treaty? You got me interested now.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:15 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
It just occurred to me that I don't recall ever hearing about such a thing. Maybe I missed it.

Anyone?
Future.
Buddhism ...or any way that rejects any and all violence as a solution since it's such a no-brainer that it's not.
By refusing violence.
By doing no harm.
etc.
It's not an active stopping of war but it's the only way ... to not engage in violence ... in violation ... in thought, words and action.
And it starts with the transformation of the individual.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 07-03-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-03-2009, 11:17 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post

And then for whatever reason, the leadership of the USA and the USSR found a way around the brink of war...

So is the answer to the "Why are we still here?" question , due to the faith we have had in god?.....

There is not stronger impulse than self-preservation. Based upon the principle of mutually assured destruction, neither the Soviet Union or the United States would have survived a nuclear exchange and in all likelihood neither would have the rest of mankind. Neither the United States nor the Soviet Union were lead by irrational leaders, a nuclear exchange was a zero sum game and engaging is such would have been the height of irrationality.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:27 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
There is not stronger impulse than self-preservation. Based upon the principle of mutually assured destruction, neither the Soviet Union or the United States would have survived a nuclear exchange and in all likelihood neither would have the rest of mankind. Neither the United States nor the Soviet Union were lead by irrational leaders, a nuclear exchange was a zero sum game and engaging is such would have been the height of irrationality.
Yep.

Wiki..
" The crisis ended two weeks later on October 28, 1962, when the President of the United States John F. Kennedy and the United Nations Secretary-General U Thant reached an agreement with the Soviets to dismantle the missiles in Cuba in exchange for a no-invasion agreement. In his negotiations with the Soviet Ambassador Anatoly Dobrynin, Robert Kennedy informally proposed that the Jupiter missiles in Turkey would be removed "within a short time after this crisis was over"[7]. The last missiles were taken down by April 24, 1963 and were flown out of Turkey soon after."

No mention of God spreading peace with an invisible hand in reponse to the appeals of kneeling millions. I have to put that down to the third inevitability after death and taxes - claiming good**** * for God.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,327 times
well there si not one good thng that christians and all the other religions have done and if there is a god or gods then why are they leting us do this do they enjoy it or wat adn there si alot of things religions have done to make this a horrible planet adn athesit have not done anything just to try to prove that there is is a logical explaination of what really did happen like come on im 13 there are peoplehow are like 90 how still beive in gods so god is a fairy tale so im 13 and the rest are older haha i stoped beliving fary tales sooner well hope you enjoyed what i thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality