Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:18 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times

Advertisements

My belief is that everyone who desires too, has a personal relationship with God.Much like our siblings may have a different relationship with our parents than we do. It doesn't diminish our parents love for each of us. I have faith that if I follow the greatest commandment which is "love" that He will guide me through this life and ,if I follow him , I will spend eternity in a blissful place. I don't question where that will be. I just have faith that that is promised to the faithful.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-11-2015 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 01:27 PM

860 posts, read 1,336,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't know...is "proof" really required? I mean for the purposes of this thread? I thought we were all being asked to share what our beliefs were.

I don't think any of us can prove our beliefs...I can seriously see this becoming another 15-pages-plus thread.

I'm also wondering about the comment regarding atheism and how we're not actually atheists...I didn't profess atheism either...I definitely believe in some greater thingie. (I have no better explanation than that, so let us for the purposes of this post call it The Greater Thingie. Actually...I kind of like that...I'm going to use that one from now on.)

And again bringing to mind my wisearse DH, when pressed on the issue of God, he says he believes in the Force. LOL.
Tell him to say hi to Obi-Wan for me!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:57 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post

I am curious as to the views of those in this forum as to what it takes to enter heaven, paradise or whatever you choose to call it.
Since I am a Christian I believe in Heaven and hell, I believe what Jesus said in John 14:6" I am the way, the truth and the life and no one come to the Father expect through me".
Accepting Jesus as your savior is the only way to Heaven according to the Bible which I believe.
Romans 1:19-20 "For the truth about God is known to them instinctively God has put this knowledge in their hearts. From the time the world was created people have seen the earth and the sky and all that God made. They can clearly see His invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse whatsoever of not knowing God."

Knowing God is not enough. We must learn that God is loving and he sent Jesus to demonstrate His love for us. We must accept His forgiveness of our sins.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:07 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Whoa..apparently quantum physics is too controversial for the "P&O" forum. Whoda thunk.

Still wanna be cremated tho' and still have the organ-donor card signed
Definitely agree with the other posters on those points.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:30 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Whoa..apparently quantum physics is too controversial for the "P&O" forum. Whoda thunk.

Still wanna be cremated tho' and still have the organ-donor card signed
Definitely agree with the other posters on those points.
I will have to retract my maggot food statement. That was for laughs. I'm actually donating by entire body to a medical research university. But I think I've said that before somewhere.

Now plaidmom, about quantum physics. Have you heard about The Grandfather Paradox? It's a lil' dizzying but interesting.

...and I'm still waiting for those I responded to. I guess your "proof" is hard to come by.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
e.

Now plaidmom, about quantum physics. Have you heard about The Grandfather Paradox? It's a lil' dizzying but interesting.

In John Maxim's book Time Out Of Mind, also Jack Finney's time travel books, something similar to The Grandfather Paradox is used as a plot device.

Other than the fact that my organs might be out there some place, I am not sure where the "cil essence" will be after I die.
Maybe residing in Jack White's guitar.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:36 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
In John Maxim's book Time Out Of Mind, also Jack Finney's time travel books, something similar to The Grandfather Paradox is used as a plot device.

Other than the fact that my organs might be out there some place, I am not sure where the "cil essence" will be after I die.
Maybe residing in Jack White's guitar.
Ahh a White Stripes fan. The more I find out about you, the more I like ya . I was thinking of using GetBehindMeSatan has my new CD username. But my wife advised me not to. I'm sure it would've gone over well with a few CD members.

BTW, I'll have to check out Time Out Of Mind. I thought of Bob Dylan when I read your post. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
You have no more proof than anyone else. It is all speculation and based on ideas, stories, myths, and conjecture.

Unless of course you have died, crossed over, and came back.
I have provided plenty of proof and received none from those who disagree. Why? Because there is no proof. God said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life". He makes it plain that no human has ever seen him, and never will until we die. Can you not see that you have a Creator when you see a rainbow? The Grand Canyon? Who do you think paints those marvelous sunsets? You have no trouble believing that fine art that you see in museums has creators....of course it does! You see a building and know someone built it. It's a given. How could you not see that we (humans) were created, built, and designed in the likeness of our Great and Magnificent Creator? It boggles my mind that you can't see this.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:08 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't know...is "proof" really required? I mean for the purposes of this thread? I thought we were all being asked to share what our beliefs were.

I don't think any of us can prove our beliefs...I can seriously see this becoming another 15-pages-plus thread.

I'm also wondering about the comment regarding atheism and how we're not actually atheists...I didn't profess atheism either...I definitely believe in some greater thingie. (I have no better explanation than that, so let us for the purposes of this post call it The Greater Thingie. Actually...I kind of like that...I'm going to use that one from now on.)

And again bringing to mind my wisearse DH, when pressed on the issue of God, he says he believes in the Force. LOL.
You guys just can't commit to anything. I don't believe I quoted anyone in my last post, but yet you all jumped to the defensive. I don't know who your "DH" is, but I have a serious skeptic allowing me to send him a book that I have been recommending all over the place and when I told him it was coming and God Bless...he said "And may the force be with you!" Progress, in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
You guys just can't commit to anything.
And why should we?? As somebody else said, this whole topic is simply speculation, unless you've actually died and come back (with memory of the incident). Humans are complex beings, and I personally wouldn't want to be so simplistic that my opinions/stances were all black & white.

P.S. DH stands for "Dear Husband"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality