Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 03:14 PM

170 posts, read 121,627 times

Advertisements

This came up in my family over the holidays.

Brother in law is Thai ethnically and Buddhist. He is married to my sister who was originally raised Catholic but one of our matriarch relatives (let's call her Aunt G) is born again. (Our bio parents are dead.)

Aunt G had dinner recently and invited sister and BIL. She has a pretty elaborate grace saying before a meal. BIL typically bows his head respectfully in these situations (I have seen him do so with other relatives) but does not participate other than that. Aunt G about lost her mind and demanded that he "say grace" and cross himself, etc. He did so to keep peace, but my sister is angry that he was put on the spot. This is now a "thing" in my family.

Is it common to demand that guests "say grace" no matter what their affiliation?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 03:17 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
No one should be forced to say any type of prayer. His action were respectful and appropriate. Your Aunt's action were ridiculous and inappropriate.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:18 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post
This came up in my family over the holidays.

Brother in law is Thai ethnically and Buddhist. He is married to my sister who was originally raised Catholic but one of our matriarch relatives (let's call her Aunt G) is born again. (Our bio parents are dead.)

Aunt G had dinner recently and invited sister and BIL. She has a pretty elaborate grace saying before a meal. BIL typically bows his head respectfully in these situations (I have seen him do so with other relatives) but does not participate other than that. Aunt G about lost her mind and demanded that he "say grace" and cross himself, etc. He did so to keep peace, but my sister is angry that he was put on the spot. This is now a "thing" in my family.

Is it common to demand that guests "say grace" no matter what their affiliation?
No. It is just expected that they remain neutral and respectful as a guest should be in someone else's home.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Aunt G about lost her mind...[snip]
That was obvious the moment you told us she was a born again.
Quote:
He did so to keep peace, but my sister is angry that he was put on the spot. This is now a "thing" in my family.
I can't blame your sister. In fact that would be our last Aunt G family dinner if I was in their shoes. Who wants to show up at a dinner party and experience a fundamental extremist demanding guests to participate in their lunacy?
Quote:
Nope nor should it be tolerated. I would have gotten up and excused myself from that dinner and politely left.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:51 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
That was obvious the moment you told us she was a born again.
I can't blame your sister. In fact that would be our last Aunt G family dinner if I was in their shoes. Who wants to show up at a dinner party and experience a fundamental extremist demanding guests to participate in their lunacy?
Nope nor should it be tolerated. I would have gotten up and excused myself from that dinner and politely left.
I agree completely. I'm American, but Thai (Theravada) Buddhist. In such a setting I would leave. And, in fact, it is why I don't attend our HOA's annual meeting, which practically turns out to be a prayer service.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:10 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
He should have took a knee like the NFL

Old 04-02-2018, 06:10 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
I don't expect anything out of others. If they appreciate prayer and grace, good. If they don't, that is fine too. If they feel like sharing, they can include something from their perspective and view.

Meals should bring people together. We all need food for nourishment and sustenance. Our differences are secondary, and irrelevant to the purpose of food and community.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
No one should be forced to say any type of prayer. His action were respectful and appropriate. Your Aunt's action were ridiculous and inappropriate.
This.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:54 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No. It is just expected that they remain neutral and respectful as a guest should be in someone else's home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
No one should be forced to say any type of prayer. His action was respectful and appropriate. Your Aunt's action was ridiculous and inappropriate.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:25 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
He should have took a knee like the NFL
How is kneeling for the National Anthem relevant to this post about a born again extremist demanding a guest to "say grace" and cross himself"?

It's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality