Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think will be the fate of atheists after death?
They will go to heaven, no punishment necessary 5 5.68%
They go to hell for an eternity 19 21.59%
The shall be punished for their beliefs, but will be forgiven eventually 2 2.27%
Other (please explain) 37 42.05%
Don't know/care 25 28.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:37 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,341,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Our traditions say all people, not just NDNs.
thats very interesting, and you believe in no judgment at all? what about murderer, rapists etc., will they spend eternity with their victims, without judgment? As far as I know Indians have never been infamous for atrocities as peoples who believe in hell - is that right?, I think the believe in hell corrupts the mind and soul of men, I believe in the bible and despise the doctrine of hell very much and consider it unscriptural.

while I believe too, that finally all men will take part in the world to come, I do indeed believe in a kind of final judgment to punish the evil doers and restore the victims that evil doers and victims maybe be reconciled and spend eternity together in peace in paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:50 AM

24,865 posts, read 24,443,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
The Jews were inheritors of a promise given to a Gentile, Abraham. It was their responsibility to shine that lamp, but as a "stiff-necked" people, their failure measured up and their cup of harlotry became full, and that light was removed, forever.
And where does the bible say this?

Abraham was the father of all of "The Jews" or "The Muslims" depending on which religion you choose to believe. God created a covenant with Abraham.

Then the word of the Lord came to him: "This man will not be your heir, but a son coming from your own body will be your heir." [5] He took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars -- if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."

Those were the "Chosen people" so often talked about by religious folks.

Jesus was such a radical difference from the Jewish community because he said that we are all Gods children. This flew int he face of the Jewish hierarchy, and that was the main reason he was crucified.

Learn your bible, it never says that Gods covenant with Abraham was null and void. He may have thought about it, but he never did it.

BTW, just for the record, I don't believe in the Abraham story as it is told in the bible. God may have spoken to a man as it speaks to all of us. Perhaps Abraham was just a highly enlightened man, just as Jesus was.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:10 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,448,595 times
Abraham was a nomad from Ur, maybe you should read the story again...a how about Ruth, or Melchezedeck...they were Gentiles....what is your premise?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:31 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,893,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
I believe in the bible and despise the doctrine of hell very much and consider it unscriptural.
How can you believe your Bible but not believe that it tells you there is a hell? The Christian Bible is very clear that there is a very real, literal Hell that lasts for a literal eternity, where the wicked will be tormented in literal fire.

Are you saying there isn't?

Matthew 13:41-42 says, "The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness, and will cast them into the furnace of fire; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

Are you saying he won't?

Revelation 14:9-11 says "And another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or upon his hand, 10he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11"And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; and they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."”

Are you saying they will not?

Matthew 3:12 says, "And His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

Are you say he will not.

Matthew 5:22 says, "whoever shall say, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell."

Are you saying they will not go to a fiery Hell.

Matthew 18:8-9 says, "And if your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the eternal fire. 9"And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out, and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than having two eyes, to be cast into the fiery hell."

And again, you say that there is no fiery Hell.

Matthew 25:41 says, "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels.

Are you saying he will not say this?

Jude 7 says, "Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example, in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire."

Are you saying that they are not?

Revelation 20:15 says, "And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."

Luke 16 says that the Rich Man suffered in a literal, fiery place of torment.

So, is hell 'scriptural' or is this just another case of a Christian only seeing what they want to see and ignoring what doesn't fit well with them?.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:33 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,111,529 times
oh yes, the fire of hell is a real teaching, its a real deal man.....

Old 08-23-2009, 02:37 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,506,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
If God therefore tells us , "God is Love" you then have one of two things you can do with this concept...
#1 - You can believe that it is true...You can believe this because the idea that God is love fits into the other things you know about God.

or...

#2 - You can reject the idea that god is love because when you look at God's creation you just dont see it.

Hmmmm....I think I will choose to believe it.
Okay, believe it if you like. Just don't become one of those Christians who imagines you're being persecuted because people think you are a crank and a fantasist. Even your Bible tells you to expect that.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:40 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,111,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Just don't become one of those Christians who imagines you're being persecuted because people think you are a crank and a fantasist. Even your Bible tells you to expect that.
While I expect to be called named based on my faith, I do judge this to be true persecution as well...

Truly I have been persecuted for my faith and continue to be so...
But that is one of the signs I have an active life in Christ too...

Old 08-23-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Abraham was a nomad from Ur, maybe you should read the story again...a how about Ruth, or Melchezedeck...they were Gentiles....what is your premise?
Abraham (Hebrew: אַבְרָהָם, Modern Avraham Tiberian ʾAḇrāhām, Arabic: إبراهيم‎, Ibrāhīm}}, ʾAbrəham) is the founding patriarch of the Israelites, Ishmaelites, Midianites and Edomite peoples, according to the religious texts of Jews, Christians, and Muslims. According to Genesis 17:5, his name was changed by God from Abram (probably meaning "the father is exalted") to Abraham, a name which Genesis explains as meaning "father of many".
Abraham was the tenth generation from Noah and the 20th from Adam. His father was Terah, and his brothers were Nahor and Haran. According to Genesis, Abraham was sent by God from his home in Ur Kasdim and Harran to Canaan, the land promised to his descendants by Yahweh. There Abraham entered into a covenant: in exchange for recognition of YHWH as his God, Abraham will be blessed with innumerable progeny and the land would belong to his descendants.[2]

Old 08-23-2009, 02:45 PM

23,027 posts, read 34,441,388 times
What do you believe is the fate of atheists after death? The same as it is for anyone who dies without Jesus, eternal separation from the Lord.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
What do you believe is the fate of atheists after death? The same as it is for anyone who dies without Jesus, eternal separation from the Lord.
Then what about the millions (probably billions) that died before Jesus. They didn't have a chance to accept Jesus as their lord and savior.

No one has yet answered this question for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality